Lost parents!

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Baba29

Lost parents!

Postby Baba29 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:17 pm

Hello,

I have a 3 year old son who I believe has autism (Not confirmed) and I dont know where to start, for a little background of the symptoms, here's a list:

- He's verbal and knows about a 100 words or so, but does not talk nor carries any conversation. He understands many commands that we tell him, but does not respond back when we talk to him. He only repeats words when we ask him to and sometimes he screams those words out. He also repeats words sometimes when he watches TV or plays with his iPad. He rarely ever uses more than one word at a time, so basically no sentences, but when he wants something and knows the word, he says it along with pointing at the thing he wants, otherwise it's only pointing.

- His eye contact is rather weak, it's not that be does not make any, but if I'm talking to him he's usually not looking at me, even when I make an attempt to look at his eyes he always looks else where. Oddly when hes doing something he's not supposed to or when he tests me, he actually looks directly at my eyes to see what my reaction is.

- He does not answer to his name that often, sometimes I have to call him more than 5 times just to get him to look at me, and if he's busy with anything like his iPad or toys, forget about it. Oddly whenever he hears the sound of his iPad turn on or a TV show he likes, his attention is directed toward that right away.

- At times he does odd things like look out of the corner of his eyes, hits his ears when he cries or is upset, bite his tongue and lips to the point of bleeding, rock his head side to side, hump pillows and blankets, get very hyper and jumps or spins around while making weird grunts. These things don't happen all the time but he does them from time to time. He used to do other things like line cars and walk on tipy toes, but he rarely does these anymore, he does however throw big tantrums when we tell him no to things and that's when he hits his ears and throws himself on the floor.

- He does not play with or acknowledge other kids at all. In the playground when other kids his age approach him to play he ignores them. He even does that to his younger brother who always wants to play with him, the only time he pays attention to him is if he plays with his toys and the reaction to that is getting upset and taking his toys back. He does get jealous when I give his brother too much attention though.

- He's a very picky eater, but can eat junk all day if you give him.

- He does not do any imaginary play, his playing consists of running around, playing with his toy cars, painting, looking at books, his iPad, or the playground (He loves swings and slides), he also likes water so when we do get a chance to go to the pool, he loves it.

- Still in diapers, still having trouble with eating out of a spoon, cannot change (Clothes and shoes) on his own but does help out when we change him.

Other than these, I feel like he's a smart kid, he's able to do puzzles, knows his way around electronics, and can figure things out rather quick, we even get him to help us with chores and he picks up quickly and loves learning and helping.

We had him evaluated by early intervention when he was about 2.5, they never said anything about being autistic but did say that he was very delayed and needed speech, occupational, and developmental therapy. We were able to get him the speech and developmental but occupational was a little harder to find so we had to wait until he turned 3, now he gets all 3 through the school district.

I have a strong feeling that these are autism symptoms but so far non of the therapists that saw him confirmed (One of them did hint but she said that if he is, it's probably on the milder side because he was greatly improving), overall they just say that his development is very delayed and that he has sensory issues, not sure where you draw the line on whether it's autism or not, I mean he is improving quite a bit but still very behind compared to his peers. I should also mention that we saw a bit of regression after his MMR shot, not sure if there's a connection there or not but my wife and I have our doubts with these vaccines. We also noticed things with him as a baby that we are not seeing with his little brother now, like rolling eyes from time to time and odd jerky movements which we had him tested for because we feared seizures, none were found. Lastly, we have not tried any diets or supplements, it has been a challenge convincing my wife but thats another story.

Apologies for the big wall of text, it's just that I'm very hurt when I see my son like this and I want to do my best to help him, any tips on where to go from here?

Thank you.

jaumeb

Re: Lost parents!

Postby jaumeb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:29 am

At the very least he should start eating a healthy diet. Some of the foods I'm using are potatoes, lentils, quinoa, buckwheat, some veggies, organic meat, wild fish, evco, evoo ...

Baba29

Postby Baba29 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:12 am

jaumeb wrote:At the very least he should start eating a healthy diet. Some of the foods I'm using are potatoes, lentils, quinoa, buckwheat, some veggies, organic meat, wild fish, evco, evoo ...

That in itself is a challenge, we have attempted to give him a healthy diet in the past but he ends up not eating anything for days, so we end up cracking because he's starving and is already thin, we end up going back to the pizza, burgers, rice, pasta, etc. Veggies are a rarity for him but he does like fruit.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:26 am

It's difficult because autists are often picky eaters that only accept the foods that cause more harm. I recommend changing the diet of the whole family so that there are no bad foods at home.

Brown rice is one of the foods used by Dr. Semon so it should be ok. I find it more difficult to digest than quinoa or buckwheat and that's the reason I didn't mention it. I use basmati brown rice.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Since your son regressed after the MMR which has glutamate, my suggestion is to start by eliminating gluten and casein, both high in glutamate.  Also eliminate the food additive glutamate that goes by many names these days.  Go organic as much as possible.  He won't starve and you won't have to change that much.  For now, you can substitute pasta and bread with gluten-free pasta and bread, substitute milk with rice or almond milk, make your own gluten-free pizza and top with veggie cheese.  The point right now is to remove as much glutamate from his diet as possible, not to force him to eat veggies.  Also, be sure than none of his therapy sessions are using food rewards that contain gluten, casein, or glutamate.

I'm hoping this will be enough of an elimination for you to see improvements, without being so restrictive that it will cause your son to refuse to eat anything.  I'm still researching, but apparently glutamate is in live virus vaccines, which could account for his earlier symptoms, but more in the MMR.  It was added to the MMR in 1988.  So far, I can't find any studies of injecting babies with glutamate, just mice, and the results aren't good for the mice.

As for convincing your wife, I can only share that the evaluators from the State suggested that my daughter eliminate gluten and casein, the therapist said to definitely eliminate them, and the nutritionist went a lot further in eliminations.

Here's my thread about my grandchild : 
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33872

Here is another thread about glutamate:
https://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=34026

Does your son have any physical symptoms such as reflux, bloated belly, constipation, diarrhea, rashes, asthma, gray film on teeth, etc.?

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:14 am

Baba29 wrote:Apologies for the big wall of text, it's just that I'm very hurt when I see my son like this and I want to do my best to help him, any tips on where to go from here?

Thank you.

It sounds like your concerns are justified -- and your sense of urgency is certainly understandable (we have all been there!). It might be helpful to request (or find yourself) a professional experienced in diagnosing children with autism (EI can be a mixed bag in terms of knowledge, expertise, and experience with autism in toddlers).

Here is a "100 Day Kit" with info for use after receiving a diagnosis, though even though you don't yet have a diagnosis, you might be able to use in organizing your efforts:

https://www.autismspeaks.org/docs/family_services_docs/100day2/100_Day_Kit_Version_2_0.pdf

I like to see new parents receive accurate info, and I would urge you to be cautious about a lot of information you will trip across on the internet. There is no reason to believe that the MMR has glutamate/causes autism, so just FYI, here is some accurate info (and comparisons) pertaining to that myth:

What About Vaccines?

All of this has to do with food and dietary sources of glutamate, whether through the naturally occurring free ionized glutamate or through MSG. So what does this have to do with vaccines? Why would it be added to any vaccine?

In addition to its flavor-enhancing properties, MSG also happens to act as a stabilizer. They help to prevent chemicals from interacting or separating out, as well as preventing oxidation or damage from light. It is this ability to keep things from breaking down that MSG is added to vaccines, protecting them from being altered when "exposed to heat, light, acidity, or humidity".

Now that we know why it is added to vaccines, which ones actually contain MSG, and how much? Not many actually use it. Glutamate is added as a nutrient to the growth medium for MMR-II and is not in the final product in significant amounts; monosodium glutamate is added to FluMist (0.188 mg/0.2 mL dose); monosodium L-glutamate is added to ProQuad (.4mg), Zostavax (.62mg) and Varivax (.5mg); and potassium glutamate is added to RabAvert (1mg).

How do these discreet doses compare, then, to other sources and to what we know about safe daily intake and metabolism?
•1/2 cup of peas contains 48 times the glutamate in Varivax and 127 times the amount in FluMist
•One cup of breast milk contains 352 times the amount found in Varivax and 936 times the amount in FluMist
•The safe, daily intake of glutamate is 12,000 times the MSG in Varivax and 32,000 times what is in FluMist
In short, the amount of glutamate, in any form, found in vaccines is miniscule in comparison to other sources of the chemical, and it is a drop in the ocean compared to daily intake.

Full article:http://www.harpocratesspeaks.com/2012/10/demystifying-vaccine-ingredients-msg.html
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:47 am

Winnie, it appears you believe this article.  You should be careful of things you trip across on the internet.  There is a big difference between bound and free glutamate, as well as a big difference between ingesting breast milk and injecting free glutamate.  Here are some links I quickly found which may explain the difference for you, but you should start researching the difference on your own.

http://americannutritionassociation.org ... es-dangers 

http://unblindmymind.org/2013/02/free-v ... lutamates/

https://healingautismandadhd.wordpress. ... extra-msg/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJj9W4uF_4

In addition, it states that "the reports of adverse reactions are anecdotal and not supported by rigorous, scientific evidence."  I know someone who developed a severe allergy to added glutamate and had to start carrying an epi-pen.  Allergist said it was common, but I guess that's an anecdote.

I was around in the 1970's when we were lobbying food companies to get added free glutamate out of baby food after studies showed it could cross an infant's blood-brain barrier, cause tumors, etc.  Never imagined it would be injected into our grandchildren.  It was only given GRAS status because it existed prior to 1958.  It was added to the MMR in 1988.  The Varivax was licensed in 1995.  The FluMist, snorted next to the brain, is no longer recommended as of this year.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:12 am

Grandmother wrote: Winnie, it appears you believe this article.

If there are inaccuracies in the article, by all means point these out. We can discuss facts, not beliefs.

Grandmother wrote:You should be careful of things you trip across on the internet.

That’s ironic advice considering the links you posted, as well the discredited and quacktastic sources you recommend for information (Generation Rescue, Thinking Mom’s Revolution, etc).

Grandmother wrote:There is a big difference between bound and free glutamate, as well as a big difference between ingesting breast milk and injecting free glutamate.

The MMR does not contain glutamate of any kind in any measurable amount – glutamate is used on the growing medium to produce the measles and mumps virus, not in the vaccine product.

But please do explain to us how the chemical structure of the free glutamate in the MMR growing medium is different from the chemical structure of the free glutamate in breast milk or peas.

Grandmother wrote:as well as a big difference between ingesting breast milk and injecting free glutamate.

And please do explain (linking credible sources) how (essentially non-existent) injected glutamate in the MMR is different from ingesting the high levels of free glutamate in peas and broccoli.

And then explain how large amounts of ingested glutamate are different from negligible amounts of injected glutamate, once some amount is absorbed into the bloodstream.

The scary injected vs. ingested myth is prevalent on most kooky anti-vaccine and conspiracy sites, in regard to a number of ingredients, and has long been debunked. So please support your point with credible source.

Grandmother wrote:Here are some links I quickly found which may explain the difference for you, but you should start researching the difference on your own.

You might consider taking your own advice -- those links aren't “researching.” You seem to just repost misinformation you find on conspiracy and quacktastic sites on the internet.

Grandmother wrote:In addition, it states that "the reports of adverse reactions are anecdotal and not supported by rigorous, scientific evidence." I know someone who developed a severe allergy to added glutamate and had to start carrying an epi-pen. Allergist said it was common, but I guess that's an anecdote.

Yes, it does state that, and that is true. If you disagree, please post credible research to the contrary. Do include researched amounts as well.

And yes, your anecdote is an anecdote – and a second-hand anecdote at that. ;)

Grandmother wrote:I was around in the 1970's when we were lobbying food companies to get added free glutamate out of baby food after studies showed it could cross an infant's blood-brain barrier, cause tumors, etc.

Where is the research showing that added free glutamate causes tumors in infants?

Also interesting that the foods you fed your granddaughter are among the highest in free glutamate:
Grandmother wrote:She preferred peas, broccoli, etc, (link)

Grandmother wrote: Never imagined it would be injected into our grandchildren.

The facts don’t seem support your fear. Or the misinformation reposted from less-than-credible sources.

Grandmother wrote:It was only given GRAS status because it existed prior to 1958. It was added to the MMR in 1988. The Varivax was licensed in 1995. The FluMist, snorted next to the brain, is no longer recommended as of this year.

There is nothing relevant in this statement to the factual discussion of (imagined) harm of vaccines in relation to glutamate. The recommendation this year regarding FluMist has nothing to do with glutamate, nor it being ”snorted next to the brain.” Do your research. ;)

Yes. By all means, get back to us with all the “research.”

You know, if the cause of autism is glutamate/msg, most of Asia would be autistic. A long time ago. :idea:

Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Baba29, you should research each of the MMR vaccine ingredients for yourself.

Also, two of the four links I posted are from Katherine Reid, a biochemist who cured her daughter from autism by eliminating free glutamate from her diet.  She then started a non-profit to help others.
http://unblindmymind.org/2013/02/free-v ... lutamates/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJj9W4uF_4

Her video explains gluten and dairy, how to identify added free glutamate, and how accidental ingestion of free glutamate effects her child.  You may want to try reducing glutamate by first eliminating gluten and dairy, which is what most parents start with, to see if there is an improvement. 

However, since Winnie thinks that Katherine Reid is quacktastic, that she's involved in some sort of conspiracy, and that glutamate is safe, you can also choose to just keep your child on his current diet.

Best wishes.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”