New accomplishments? How is your kid doing?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

lookingforanswers

Re: New accomplishments? How is your kid doing?

Postby lookingforanswers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:12 am

My son made an audition-only band that's hard to get into. What a blessing.

I wanted to call up all the people that had negative predictions when he was in preschool to tell them -- you just can't predict when it comes to autism.

frivera28

Postby frivera28 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:55 pm

You should call them...people can be so harsh

Ian's mom

Postby Ian's mom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Way to go!!
After the storm comes the rainbow.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:29 am

lookingforanswers wrote:My son made an audition-only band that's hard to get into. What a blessing.

I wanted to call up all the people that had negative predictions when he was in preschool to tell them -- you just can't predict when it comes to autism.

Wow -- congratulations! He (and all of you) must be thrilled!
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:42 pm

My kids are doing great! I wish everyone a Happy New Year!! :D

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

Kenny V

Postby Kenny V » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am

wonderful , always great to here of good progress

My Boy is Starting off the New year right as well .Last night he came home with the student of the month award.

Proud Papa :)
Father to Joel
Recovering From Autism
Always Hope For Recovery

tmarthaler

Postby tmarthaler » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 pm

it has been a long time since i have been here..this group was such a huge support system for me in the early years. my son is now in middle school and doing great. he is at a school in columbus, ohio called oakstone academy and it has been a great blessing for us. it is a school specifically for autism but integrates typical peer models (usually brothers and sisters of autistic kids) into each class. the school doesn't allow kids to use autism as an excuse for not being able to do things and i think that for my guy..it was just what he needed. he is extremely social and with only some modified testing accomodations, he is at grade level for everything. last week he brought home some algebra homework that i couldn't help him with (luckily big sister knew it well). we have eased up on the biomed stuff although we still do NAET twice a year. i am still working as an ABA therapist and wavier provider in ohio and love helping other newly diagnosed families. for those of you just starting out..it does get better!!! hang in there.
Hope
Mom of Three - TG - 13, ER - 10 and Sam - 8.

momwithadvice

Postby momwithadvice » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:57 pm

We started using different techniques to create a feeling of independence. I put the "privacy pop" tent on the bed, and it's worked so well. He feels so independent, and when it's time for time-out he goes and spends time quietly. Anyone else tried it? Found it on privacy pop dot com.

Dani

Postby Dani » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:44 pm

I was reading some of my old posts at AW from 2008 when I joined the board. I noticed I said I was worried more about toilet training than speech. :lol: I don't even remember that concern, but obviously it must have been true at the time because I posted it. The toilet training happened about a year after that post. She got it down for both day and night. The speech has come far, but still far to go. But the echolalia I mentioned in 2008 is greatly reduced. Back then there was immediate echolalia, but I can't remember the last time we had immediate echolalia. The social stuff is still emerging and blossoming, but better than back then. She's now initiating interactions and talking independently to kids in her class. Sometimes she bosses them in her own way. My concern is now more about social skills than speech or academic skills. Her academic skills are pretty much on target for kindergarten - she can read, count to 100 on her own, write her name, work independently for at least 10-15 minutes, etc. Today we can go to the hairdresser (we did today) without a scene or a fuss. We go to the dentist with far less trantruming than in the past. There are still many challenges to overcome, but biomed and therapies have brought a lot of progress.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

livsparents

Postby livsparents » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 pm

After several YEARS of all but giving up on Livie speaking and really not pushing her at home too hard. Suddenly, a few weeks ago, she suddenly said 'Bye bye' loud and clear to our principal when she go on the bus (enough that she called Linda to tell her how excited he was). Thought it was one of those flukes, but it has been AMAZING over the past few weeks since. She has bee trying to imitate almost anything we ask her to. This from a girl who had maybe a half dozen sounds. SHe has just FLOORED us over the past few weeks, fro watching us say our LLL's and sticking out her tongue to try too, to trying to repeat 'I love you' (OH YEA, I couldn't hold it in after that!), she has just flat out changed!

Some possibilities as to why: She is in a mostly verbal classroom this year, s she is seeing others get what they want with words. SHe has also become very proficient at Proloquo2go on her iPad. Between the picture, sound and spelling of the word, some of that may be soaking in. Her aid has also been pushing vocals lately.

In any event, it is just FANTASTIC to have something new like this to 'worry' about. I knew that if she ever talked, I would never take it for granted...and we don't...

Bill
Bill
Aly 19;Dillan 16;Jason 14
Liv 11 ASD
Grace 9 PDD

and Linda

Dani

Postby Dani » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Livsparents - That's great! :lol:

livsparents

Postby livsparents » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Linda saw Livie's teacher today on the parent teacher conference thing. She put a new spin on it. The teacher thought that because she is able to communicate better using the iPad, that maybe her level of frustration is lower with communication in general. She might be more willing to take chances not getting the vocals exactly right if she can often communicate her needs to almost anyone. Before, you had to know her signs, you had to know HER in order to fully understand what she wanted and some of her frustrations.
Bill
Aly 19;Dillan 16;Jason 14
Liv 11 ASD
Grace 9 PDD

and Linda

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Bill! That is just such wonderful news -- congrats to Livie (and your entire gang).

These kids are amazing. : )
Winnie

Liz77

Postby Liz77 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Bill, that's great to hear about Liv! She is amazing.

Liz77

Postby Liz77 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:09 pm

This is a shameless brag. S. is almost 10. He is doing great. He plays piano, has his red belt in tae kwon do, he won first place at the home school science fair for his experiment proving that carbon dioxide has both weight and volume. He is a whiz at math, science and critical thinking, though he still struggles with reading and writing. He does have wonderful reading comprehension, but struggles with decoding.

He has friends, makes friends easily, and is able to maintain the friendships with typical and nontypical kids. He loves babies and is nagging to have a little brother or sister. He has a great imagination and age approriate play skills. He still stuggle with the th sound in the middle of a word like mother or brother and occasionally messes up the past tense of irregular verbs like saying "grewed" instead of "grown".

He's a funny, out going, sweet kid who is kind to animals, other kids, and babies. He loves knock jokes, video games, riding his scooter, and occasionally trying to put one over on his parents (like lying about how long he was on the computer) like any other almost ten year old boy. We have stopped biomed; except for a CF diet (he's allergic to milk), fish oil and a monthly visit to the chiropractor.

vnm4flan

Postby vnm4flan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Nelson graduated from high school :D :o :)

His senior year was awesome, he kept up a B average (despite serious senioritis), took Honors Physics, then took the AP Biology exam. His teacher kept several of his art pieces for exhibition at school. His school band traveled to New Orleans and competed in a nationwide band competition.

I admit that the band trip had me worried. Nelson did really well, even handling when he got on the wrong bus en-route. He handled his money well and even managed to buy souvenirs for me and his sister.

Next year he starts college living on campus. He already found a friend who is going to be is roommate. He also won a small scholarship and will have to give a speech at the award ceremony. They tell there were over 300 students applying for the scholarship and he was one of the five selected.

I feel like LFA where I feel like calling all those people (one teacher in particular) and telling them how wrong they were in their predictions. Bear in mind at one point I was told he would never read or write and that I probably would have to have him committed when he grew taller than me.
Vanessa
mom to Isabel (gifted) & Nelson (PDDNOS - HFA)

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:31 pm

That is just AWESOME! And what a fabulous ending to this chapter of his life -- and great beginning for the next.

Many congratulations -- and I do hope you run into the teacher who made those predictions...and blow her mind. :wink:

I love this thread. Thanks, Liz77, for starting it -- and for sharing your own son's incredible accomplishments along the way -- I wish there had been a thread like this somewhere when I was a "new" parent!
Winnie

amycompton

Postby amycompton » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:58 am

We're getting longer sentences. She's using people's names when she makes a request of them. Before she would just make the request, and you wouldn't know who the intended recipient of the message.

She had an awesome time at a preschool field trip to a pumpkin patch. I was so afraid she wouldn't be cooperative during the three hour visit but the teacher said the visit went very well.

Dani

Postby Dani » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:29 pm

amycompton wrote:We're getting longer sentences. She's using people's names when she makes a request of them. Before she would just make the request, and you wouldn't know who the intended recipient of the message.

She had an awesome time at a preschool field trip to a pumpkin patch. I was so afraid she wouldn't be cooperative during the three hour visit but the teacher said the visit went very well.

I thought I recognized something familiar then I realized this is my post from 2009. Did you mean to type something else?
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Dani wrote:
amycompton wrote:We're getting longer sentences. She's using people's names when she makes a request of them. Before she would just make the request, and you wouldn't know who the intended recipient of the message.

I thought I recognized something familiar then I realized this is my post from 2009. Did you mean to type something else?

This poster quoted verbatim something of mine too, I reported it, I think it is probably a spammer.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”