pool safety

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Kari

pool safety

Postby Kari » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

My 11 year old son jumps right in over his head into 5-9 feet of water. He doesn't seem to get that he will drown if someone doesn't rescue him. Pretty scary, so does anyone have any tips for teaching pool safety? Anyone have success with classes? I'm going to get him a life vest, but I'm scared he'll get near water on his own someday.

ScrappyMommyof3

Re: pool safety

Postby ScrappyMommyof3 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am

I have the same fear with my 7 year old. He is fearless and LOVES to dunk his head. Last summer when at the beach he kept going deeper and deeper and bobbing under and my husband and I could barely keep up with him. Having him wear his life jacket gives us a little peace but we are enrolling him in a "sensory" swim class at the local YMCA in hopes of teaching him some more water safety. Perhaps a social story on water safety might help?
Mom of 3
Daughter 13, Learning disabled
Son 9, Non-Verbal ASD
Son 9, Neuro-Typical

AutismDad22

Postby AutismDad22 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Whatever you do, don't let him take swim lessons in an indoor pool setting! We made that mistake and our kid wouldn't go near a pool again for a year. If he saw one in the distance he would start shaking. All of the sounds echoing off the walls everywhere were sensory overload!

Dani

Postby Dani » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:03 pm

Kari wrote:My 11 year old son jumps right in over his head into 5-9 feet of water. He doesn't seem to get that he will drown if someone doesn't rescue him. Pretty scary, so does anyone have any tips for teaching pool safety? Anyone have success with classes? I'm going to get him a life vest, but I'm scared he'll get near water on his own someday.

Teach him how to swim. You don't even have to be verbal to learn this skill. All the autism kids I know here can swim, even the most affected ones. My child is the only one amongst our friends who can't swim, but we're working on it. Right now she can doggy paddle with the swim vest on. Our friends' kids all learned to swim in a swimming pool either at a pool in their condo or at a local YMCA/municipal pool. I don't know where you live, but a pool may be your best option. We prefer a pool because it's self-contained and she can't go very far away from us.

There are YMCAs and YWCAs who offer special needs swim classes. We have those here, so call around. Also, call the Special Olympics. They have swim coaches who are used to working with special needs children and may be willing to do 1:1 swim teaching or a small group class. For one friend's son, it took about 4-5 months of Saturday morning swim lessons to pick up the skill, but now you can leave him alone in a 6 ft pool for minutes at a time (no they don't do that) without worrying about him.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Kari

Postby Kari » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to try to teach him with a life vest on at first. I asked his service coordinator about classes. It's scary and stressful when they don't understand the danger, but maybe he will be able to learn this summer. That will take some stress off me from worrying

ScrappyMommyof3

Postby ScrappyMommyof3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:14 am

By the way I know plenty of NT kids who wear life vests in the pool or at the beach. They are great to give kids a sense of security while they practice their skills.
Mom of 3
Daughter 13, Learning disabled
Son 9, Non-Verbal ASD
Son 9, Neuro-Typical

RomanceOsborn

Postby RomanceOsborn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:38 am

Anyone have success with classes?

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:50 pm

RomanceOsborn wrote:Anyone have success with classes?

Yes, our 5 year son started classes when he was around 3.5 yrs. Classes have definitely helped (1 on 1, or 1 to 3 kids max) - didn't use vests at all for classes. We have a pool in the backyard and our son loves water, so this was extremely important. He can swim short distance, and more importantly, keep himself afloat in deep water (Level 5). He was able to keep pace with other kids his age. Notwithstanding above, we still keep an eye on him at all times (plus our other son who is a few levels ahead) and will until both reach Level 10 and above.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”