Throws everything

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

klj1985

Throws everything

Postby klj1985 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:41 pm

My son is three and a half and was just diagnosed with sensory processing disorder and is on the autism spectrum he is constantly throwing things you ask him to hand something to you and he will throw it at you when he's playing he is constantly throwing his toys how do I get him to stop throwing everything I tell him to hand it softly or nicely I give it back to him and have him try it again and he still just throws it. Please give me ideas or suggestions thanks

kulkulkan

Re: Throws everything

Postby kulkulkan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Are you doing any therapy? Some of the fundamental things needed in order to implement behavioural changes or teach are 1) engagement (is he listening/interested)? 2) receptive language skills (if engaged, does he understand what you are asking of him) 3) ability to follow one or two step direction (if he understands, will he do what is asked of him), and 4) ability to imitate (if can he do it, can you model a new behaviour that he can imitate instead)? Frankly, I would work on these core skills first assuming they are somewhat lacking.

As for the fixation in throwing objects, you can use that as positive and a way to engage your child and teach as well. Just replace object with ball and try throwing ball back and forth, or throwing to a net / goal, or get him to imitate/play with you in throwing ball appropriately in a different way (high, low, rolling, gently, hard, fast, slowly, etc.). Look into Floortime or Son Rise as play therapy which can be done by parents.

B.L. Pike

Postby B.L. Pike » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:38 pm

klj, what has worked for me in the past is to first teach the concept you don't want--in this case, make sure he understands what "throw" means. As kukulcan suggests, playing appropriate throwing games while using the word can make it understandable. Say things like, "Throw!" and "Good throw!" as he's doing it, in as many situations as you can throughout the day. Then after many repetitions (we're talking days here), try using the cue, "Throw it!" and see if he can respond correctly. Once he understands the concept you can separate it into other behaviors, like handing something to you instead (which you demonstrate over and over, using the appropriate words). The key for me has been repetition and repetition and yet more patient repetition. I get frustrated when I feel like we're getting nowhere, but if I determine beforehand that I'm going to give it a couple hundred repetitions before I expect results, that really helps. Also, frustration makes the learning less likely, and I've found that smiling and encouraging words really help. My son picks up on my impatience and then resists, but if I keep it pleasant we get much further.

None of this is easy!
B.L.

klj1985

Postby klj1985 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:56 am

He knows what throw is and he knows the rule because when someone else throws something they shouldn't like on tv shows or something he'll say we don't throw things at people that's not nice we only throw balls and balloons they need to sit in time out that's big trouble so I know he knows the rule. I think he likes to do it because he gets a reaction but I don't know what else to do for it we constantly play catch with a ball he goes outside and plays sports he just can't hand things nicely to people when he does hand things nicely I praise him and make a big deal about it but it doesn't phase him.

rebeccaschool

Postby rebeccaschool » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:32 am

Children with autism may find it difficult to modulate their emotions. This could make your child likely to throw things as he may find it difficult to express himself.
Another reason why your child may be throwing things on the floor is because he is craving for movement or has too much pent-up energy. Make sure that you get him plenty of physical exercise. If you can take him to a park where he can climb on things, it would be great as it could help calm and organize his body.

TandKIE

Postby TandKIE » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:29 am

One thing I wonder about it generalization. He knows others shouldn't throw. He knows he shouldn't throw a ball. But, as odd as it sounds to us, our kids often can't take that rule to other areas of life. So, throwing a ball is wrong, throwing socks is not wrong because it's not a ball. That's one thing to consider.

Also, just because our children have special needs doesn't mean they don't need consequences for some of their actions (which it looks like you are doing). Be consistent. Never, ever take anything he's thrown at you. Help him understand it's not the way we hand things to people and make him do it again or give him another natural consequence for this repeated action. Natural consequences usually work the best for kiddos on the spectrum because it, to put it simply, makes sense to the action.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”