Teen with Broad Spectrum Autism - Need School Advice

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

tomjensen

Teen with Broad Spectrum Autism - Need School Advice

Postby tomjensen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:19 pm

My son just turned 13. He was diagnosed at age five with Asberger's Syndrome. This diagnosis was later changed to Broad Spectrum Autism two years ago.

He is one year behind his age-appropriate grade (now in U.S. 6th grade) since he attended a special education academy overseas while I worked as an expat and his placements put him at this grade level when we repatriated last year. He is now in a mainstream school on an ILP.

He struggles with organization. We have worked out a process with his teacher in that she signs his assignment book each night and I work with him to get it done. But it is a struggle since he often does not really understand the assignment as written.

He has difficulty grasping concepts in math but, with close coaching, does sometimes finally understand. However, he sometimes gets 0s on a quiz, the next week getting 90%.

Questions:
1. Are there any home teaching aids or teaching uniques that have helped other families in similar situations? Books recommended?
2. What about a tutor?
3. What summer camps or programs might help?

I searched the board and found some helpful posts. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Hoping someone might be able to provide ideas for my son's situation as well.

Santosg

Re: Teen with Broad Spectrum Autism - Need School Advice

Postby Santosg » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:08 am

Hey Tom,

There are certainly resources available from the school and community. You should see how special needs resources are organized within your community and contact the office. They often have funds allocated for additional educational services, etc. I do, however, feel that given his age you should really try to encourage greater responsibility on his part. Given how varied his results on a test might be, I think he lacks concentration. The only way to help him with it is by properly motivating him. I think it is worth seeing if he might be able to get a part time job. Give him responsibilities, allow him to spend the money he earns as he wishes (within reason, obviously). You want him to be the driving force in his life, not the passenger who confirms to the wishes of others.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”