Discipline for Adult Autistic man with aggressive behaviors

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

SterlingRand

Discipline for Adult Autistic man with aggressive behaviors

Postby SterlingRand » Tue May 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Hello all,
I was hoping someone can give me some advice regarding an autistic adult that gets aggressive when he doesn't get what he wants, and the demands are frequent and often impossible, (such as going to school when school is closed.)

I have usually been able to redirect him by playing with him while his parents do the day-to-day things that need to be taken care of. But he perseverates a lot about demands, and when he has little patience, things have to be done "right now", otherwise he will escalate in whining which quickly becomes smashing windows, jumping out the window, and yelling at the neighbors as he runs down the street.

There is no established structure at home, and maybe this is part of the problem. He gets home from school and starts demanding: (e.g.: "I want a car, I want to go out, I want to go to the store, I want to get new clothes...) I am a friend of the family of this young man, and I have usually redirecting by "fantasy play", which he seems to like as he laughs and participates, but the perseverating thoughts are only a moment away, usually after he is not being stimulated, but it happens even while being stimulated.

He has a problem at bedtime, and he refuses to go to bed and demands that someone take him out and buy him a new suit. He keeps insisting on his scenario, (e.g: I want James Bond to take me clothes shopping.) Even if you explain that the stores are closed, he will still insist on his request, until it reaches the point where he starts threatening to act up.

I was thinking about a calendar at home so that he can get a sense of time, as well as maybe some sort of goal tracker where positive actions are rewarded will negative ones will be punished, like the taking away of something he enjoys.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

B.L. Pike

Re: Discipline for Adult Autistic man with aggressive behavi

Postby B.L. Pike » Sat May 23, 2015 4:55 pm

Hello, SterlingRand,
As the parent of an adult son with autism, I'd have to say that an "established structure at home" is the bottom line for managing to live together happily, much less managing the range of difficult "behaviors" that are possible when one family member is dealing with autism. Perhaps the best help you can be to this family is to impress on them the importance of consistency as a way of not only managing but loving their son. It is not optional.

That said, your willingness to run interference for this family is certainly a wonderful support, and in my experience it's even remarkable. Thanks for being there for them.
B.L.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”