Hates to hear singing

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Mommatavino

Hates to hear singing

Postby Mommatavino » Thu May 28, 2015 1:14 pm

My 2.5 yr old is in the process of being tested for autism. He has always hated to hear people singing. It will send him into a tantrum. Does anyone know of this with another child?

Winnie

Re: Hates to hear singing

Postby Winnie » Fri May 29, 2015 9:59 am

My son hit a patch where he didn't like our singing and would get upset, but he didn't mind singing on videos or audio. We never figured out why for sure (aside from our obvious lack of vocal talent), but wondered if he was bothered because we didn't sound exactly like the version he preferred. Perhaps we didn't replicate the key or notes correctly? Perhaps he wanted to hear a different song (he was not able to communicate that at the time)?

I don't remember how long this lasted, but it passed (the tantrum part anyway) while he was still a toddler. Now he comments that his dad is horribly off while singing in a church service (even I can hear that), and doesn't just love my singing along with the radio in the car (can't blame him). He will comment that he hates certain popular songs when he hears them -- says these are stupid. Now that I think of it, most of these have been by female vocalists -- I don't know if this may be related more to content or perhaps frequencies in the artist's vocal range.

When he was in middle school it was discovered (he played an instrument in band) that he has absolute pitch (can identify, very specifically, any note he hears) -- so maybe those of us who have less acute abilities in this area are annoying to those who have more acute ability? Absolute pitch is more prevalent in people with autism than in the general population.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Mommatavino

Postby Mommatavino » Fri May 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Lol I always wondered if it was my awful singing lol

dragondad

Postby dragondad » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:37 pm

My son is like this. He loves music and singing, and he likes to sing, but if my wife or I are singing along with something he will ask us to stop and start to melt down and cover his ears if we don't comply! Unless everyone is supposed to be singing like hymns at church, then it is OK. But heaven forbid I join in on "Let It Go!" He usually lets his sisters sing though. Just one of his quirks.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”