My son did not meet DSM-5 but still dx autism spectrum?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Mrs13

My son did not meet DSM-5 but still dx autism spectrum?

Postby Mrs13 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi There,
I hope this is an appropriate place to post this my apologies if it isn't. Just as the title says, and a little background info.
My son is 2.5 years old, we had concerns early on but realized he had severe hearing loss and glue ear at 18 months. He had grommets put in at 18 months and now has perfect hearing. Until recently he was non verbal but with speech therapy he is using some signs and has become quite the screamer! He says about 10 words not clearly but making big improvements.

His school had other concerns with social issues etc and as a result we were referred to a pediatrician. We were then referred for an ADOS-11 assessment. He did ok and the psychologist also went to his daycare and viewed him there. Her findings were that there are mild-moderate concerns for autism but gave him a tentative diagnosis as developmental and communication delay to be reviewed in 12 mths if nothing improves for Autism assessment again. We accepted this, continued speech therapy and I organized to go back to work part time.

Well yesterday we had our follow up with the pead and she basically said she disagreed with this and felt he should be diagnosed as on the spectrum and that she was going to do that. She said she erred on the side of caution and believes he needs to access the supports and all the signs are there. She has had no interaction with my son except for the 2 ten minute visits but has viewed all letter and reports.

So now im at a loss! Do I consider my child autistic? I know the spectrum is wide but to me these are two very different views. Has she just done this for him to access services? Am I just worrying over nothing? Im considering not returning to work to assist him with supports etc but im not sure if I should? Am I just in denial?!

I don't know who to ask for advice at this point, im so sorry for the long post.

Santosg

Re: My son did not meet DSM-5 but still dx autism spectrum?

Postby Santosg » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:09 pm

I would not get too concerned with the diagnosis. Even the psychologist said that there were certain points of concern. Of course, given the fact that he had hearing issues, many of his communication issues could simple be related to this. Getting access to more services only helps him in the short and long term. You should be able to get more frequent speech therapy. You also should be eligible for ABA services. A diagnosis does not change the future of your son. But, and I think this is what you should keep in mind, your efforts in helping him improve in communication and socialization today will have an enormous impact on his future. I think that this should be your top priority and the diagnosis will help you muster as many resources as possible.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:32 am

I agree with Santos -- it's probably a good idea to err on the side of more services/intervention than less, especially since the psychologist suggested a "moderate" possibility. Where exactly or if he falls on the spectrum is not as important as helping him with his current challenges as much as possible now.

He may not be diagnosed as on the spectrum in a year, but if he is, you may wonder then if you should have pursued intervention more aggressively now. If he receives a lot of services now, and is never diagnosed, then there is no down side -- this can only help with his delays.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Mrs13

Postby Mrs13 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:57 am

Thanks so much. I talked with an advisor today who said much the same. I guess I need to stop thinking of it as a label but rather an opportunity for help

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”