Need ideas for a non profit benefiting children with autism

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

AutismParent315

Need ideas for a non profit benefiting children with autism

Postby AutismParent315 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi there! I wasn't sure where to post my question, so if there is a more appropriate thread, please feel free to either move this or let me know where it should go.

I am in the process of creating a nonprofit organization that will help children with autism and their families financially and emotionally. we will be raising and distributing grants for families and financial need to put towards therapies for their children. We will also be providing parents and caregivers of individuals with a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder with emotional support through our support group program, and eventually with retreats. Lastly, we will be providing recipients with service dogs trained and specific tasks that will benefit their children and family.

My question is pretty simple.. I am not a very creative person when it comes to coming up with great, catchy names for businesses or programs.. And in my case, my non profit.

I'm asking for help in coming up with a great name for my organization, which would kind of incorporate everything that we stand for.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Berry_083

Re: Need ideas for a non profit benefiting children with aut

Postby Berry_083 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:52 am

I've always believed that a name that gives off a safe and comfortable effect to people reading it is always the best name for organizations. I think a short, fun name or an abbreviation would be most ideal. For example, here in Norway, we have tipo.no, a government-supported clinic for children with autism. Two-syllables, easy to remember, and TIPO can sound like the name of a child, but it is actually an acronym for the Intervention Program in Oslo. When spelled out, it explains what the health research center for autism is about. I would suggest something with "Family" at the end to make the organization feel more family-friendly.
"I touch the future. I teach."

B.L. Pike

Re: Need ideas for a non profit benefiting children with aut

Postby B.L. Pike » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:27 pm

AutismParent, hello,

I don't have any name suggestions, but I did have a couple of thoughts about the goals you've expressed here.

First, I wondered if you've given any thought to older people with autism--both those who live independently and those who still live at home as adults. All of you who have young kids with autism will one day be parents of adults with autism, and resources for those needs are nearly nonexistent.

And secondly, I wonder what your thinking is about how, exactly, you'll provide trained service dogs. Currently there is no oversight of programs offering autism service dogs, which has resulted in hundreds of families being bilked of thousands of dollars, not to mention receiving poorly trained dogs for which the organizations have failed to consider what tasks a dog can realistically and safely perform for the person with autism. What I have seen is far too often unfair and unsafe for both the child and the dog. Just something to think deeply about before proceeding.

All best wishes,
B.L.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”