She is not crying at all..

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

myc

She is not crying at all..

Postby myc » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:15 am

Hello,

our 3 year old daughter seams not to cry at all anymore. Im not complaining not much about that but when it comes to obvious injuries or pains I would like to see some tears just as a human reaction.

She is still nonverbal with autism.. very lovely girl with no melt downs or whatsoever.. but when she falls on her knees (and scratch them open... ) she is holding her knee for few seconds.. and then keeps going like nothing.. on cry.. or when we inject her B12.. she certainly makes moves that it hurts..looks what happened....etc... touch her booty ... but no cry ...

We are worried bit because in case she hurt herself and we do not see it...that it would go unnoticed...

anybody have similar kids like this ? Any experienced comments maybe ??

Thank you

Pirsig

Re: She is not crying at all..

Postby Pirsig » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:06 am

myc wrote:Hello,

anybody have similar kids like this ? Any experienced comments maybe ??

Thank you

Yes, I think "insensitive to pain" is a fairly common ASD symptom and I used to notice this with my daughter as well. When she was about 1 year old, we caught her playing with a sharp earring and her fingers were bleeding. She could not speak then, but she made no attempt at getting us to notice that her fingers were bleeding. It was obvious that she could not feel any pain.

In hindsight, this is where I should have realized that there was something seriously wrong and tried to get her evaluated. Also in hindsight, I do know that my mainstream pediatrician would have just dismissed my concerns.

Anyway, after we started biomedical interventions with her, this symptom was resolved in a few months. She is now on the other extreme where she complains about even the smallest thing "hurting me real bad papa".

myc

Postby myc » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:12 am

hhmm.. I dont think she does not feel pain.. its just she does not express it....

when we inject the B12 ..she jumps.. you can see her face and her reaction ..she felt it and it hurt her.. but no cry.. no scream..

same..she got stuck with her foot ones in a shopping cart.. she opened only her mouth and held her breath..no scream.. no sound..only when I looked at her a I realized whats going on..

other then that...she does a lot of humming sounds.. more and more also open mouth sounds...

but when it comes to pain.. nothing ..but she feels it for sure .. :(

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:03 pm

mya, I agree, it does sound as if she may be distressed but not expressing this as a typical toddler might. It is not uncommon for children with autism to present with atypical response to pain -- reduced or heightened, or even both. My son had some behaviors that were painful (like banging his head repeatedly) but he continued as if the pain was unnoticed (this would be different from what you are describing, however).

It can present a safety concern as you mentioned, and especially in a young nonverbal child, can make figuring out the source of potential pain or distress really tricky sometimes. Chances are that her ability to indicate an acute situation will improve over time, though meanwhile, it is good that you are aware of the situation and alert to her safety.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”