Has anyone ever seen this behavior before?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

MidnightSon

Has anyone ever seen this behavior before?

Postby MidnightSon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi everyone! I am new here, but I have been an AS mom for almost 15 years. I am here because it just struck me yesterday that one of my son's AS "quirks" from early childhood is still disturbing him to an extreme, and I'm wondering if it might be impeding his performance in school. I will try my best to describe it, maybe someone here has seen the same thing in their own child.

My son took a health class in 8th grade and during the class he diagnosed himself with OCD (but not AS, interestingly enough, because his physical sensory integration issues have mostly resolved, he thinks). One of the reasons he chose OCD is that he has an almost obsessive need for straight and parallel lines, and "whole" pictures. When he was little, the grain of the wood used in our oak furniture would set him off. Same with the wood table, and don't get me started on the parquet floors. He was also obsessed with Light poles and power lines. Long story about how we figured that out when he was still non-verbal, but anyway... I didn't realize how much he was still bothered by this until yesterday. He upgraded his computer to Windows 10, and when he did that changed the monitor settings so that part of the task bar and the first row of desktop icons reached beyond the edge of the screen. He held it together long enough to work through all of the different things he knew to change monitor settings, but it didn't fix the problem. There was a moment there when I was worried that my normally non-violent son was going to grab the monitor and throw it across the room (and we're talking about a TV sized monitor here). Thankfully I found a different setting option and it resolved the issue. He calmed IMMEDIATELY. I know my son gets frustrated sometimes when he can't figure something out, but this had more to do with the visual disturbance he was having than with frustration. He is frequently telling me that something visual is messing with his OCD, so I'm wondering if this is some sort of visual sensory integration disturbance, and if it is, what is it called and what can I do to help my son? Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thank you so much!

Andrea

varen2

Re: Has anyone ever seen this behavior before?

Postby varen2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:48 am

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I've just discovered that my son is getting repetitive when eating chicken. Dr Semon, author of "Feast without Yeast" says that all chickens are fed with cottonseed, soy and other grains that are very moldy. They store toxins from moldy grains in their fat. He advices to eat Veal instead only 2-3 times per week. I was wondering why my son was still repetitive and obsessive sometimes. Once I switched to veal, his repetitiveness was gone.

My son loves chicken... I was buying free-range organic chicken and he was eating it every day. We took a 3 days break from chicken and he was so much better during these 3 days. When I gave him chicken again he got very repetitive. I used to cut out all the fat from chicken before giving it to him, but this time I just fried it with all the fat in it.

Veal doesn't have toxins because calfs drink cow's milk and don't eat grains. They don't have time to store toxins in their meat and therefore, they can be well tolerated by our children.

AshleySpringer

Postby AshleySpringer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:48 pm

The visual system is closely tied to the vestibular system. When you were going through sensory integration testing with him, did he have any vestibular differences?

What is his reaction (or was his reaction, when he was younger), when he saw disorganized lines or incomplete pictures?

maura101

Postby maura101 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:57 pm

Our daughter can be seriously triggered by visual tasks. We did vision therapy this spring, and she had MAJOR regressions for several weeks - including oppositional behavior, which she can usually manage. It seemed the vision can "touch" on something deep.

Good luck to you, and hope the situation can be resolved.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”