Fermented Everything

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
LnAmom

Fermented Everything

Postby LnAmom » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Please share tasty fermented goodies recipes. I am in need of new ideas as I am sure others are too.

Note: Too much onion can really ruin a batch of fermented veggies.

A half a green apple can really perk up a batch of fermented veggies.

More ideas? Not just veggies but anything you're fermentin'. Do share! :)

Matthews Puzzle

Re: Fermented Everything

Postby Matthews Puzzle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:14 am

Right now I'm only fermenting young co nut water kefir, and attempting goats milk kefir, but that last one isn't working so well. Sorry I'm not much help here.

twinsohmy

Postby twinsohmy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Right now I'm fermenting a batch of cultured veggies, I used cabbage, carrots, a granny smith apple, diakon radish, a little sea salt and molasses, and a body ecology culture packet. It's been 6 days and I just peeked at it and atleast 2 of the jars have bubbled over, success! I'll post back after I try it next week.

twinsohmy

Postby twinsohmy » Sun May 01, 2011 6:45 am

CV update: very potent & sour, yum! Lacks some flavor though, a friend suggested that I use fenugreek next time, and will also add some kale if I can find organic.

Kari

Postby Kari » Sun May 29, 2011 10:18 am

Making beet kvass for the first time. It tastes surprisingly good already. I added some brine from my kimchi for a starter. With the hot weather, it should be ready in a couple days.

twinsohmy

Postby twinsohmy » Mon May 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Kari, I'm thinking of trying some, what does it taste like?

Kari

Postby Kari » Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 pm

It has a mild vegetable taste and is tangy. I couldn't believe how much red color came out of those beets! It's like they're bleeding. We're only going to drink a couple spoonfuls at a time and maybe use it in salad dressing and added to broth.

isabelmum

Postby isabelmum » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Do any of you know whether i can use fermented veggie if this is high on igG panel.will it affect my dd in any way, like behavior? It is supposed to be healing so i am tempted to try cv... My dd did well on bed coconut kefir.

twinsohmy

Postby twinsohmy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:49 am

Isabelmum, it's my understanding that when you ferment something it changes the structure of that food and therefore it is not the same thing you started with. I would try it in very very small amounts, like a half teaspoon a day for a week or so and look for reactions. I would do this for sensitivities, but not an all-out allergy.

erinstratton78

Postby erinstratton78 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:11 pm

We are looking at starting kombucha very quickly instead of being out the high costs of probiotics every month. Does anyone have any good kombucha recipes they would share?

borsooq

Postby borsooq » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 am

In Poland very popular are fermented cucumbers (not with vinegar, like pickles it is rather cucumber in brine) and cabbage also prepared in same way.

We used to make soups from both of them.
Moreover if you have such cabbage (can be red or white. Red is little bit more delicate, whit is more common), you can chop it a little, fry in a frying pan with diced bacon, diced sousages, diced pork (not fatty) and put into pot with dried mushrooms (not neccesary, but gives some taste), dried plums; stew for some time and after that serve with potatoes and... pork :)

Traditional Polish dish. I prefer with no pork - it is too much of meat for me.

Traditional polish fermented cucumber soup is like normal soup:
water, some meat (I prefer with no meat), pepper, allspice, bay leaf. Put into pot, boil.
After cleaning from the meats dirtness, put: potatoes, carrots, parsley, celery, leek - all diced, whole onion, boil.
When potatoes are boiled and good to eat put grated cucumbers and boil for a while.
Usually some sour cream is added, but it could be served without it.

Return to “Recipes”