Non dairy starters?

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
maura101

Non dairy starters?

Postby maura101 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I have a yogurt maker, and would love to make dairy-free yogurts for my daughter. All the recipes I come across suggest using regular yogurt as a starter, but I do not want to expose her to casein, as she gets violent.

Any other ideas?

ihatethefda

Re: Non dairy starters?

Postby ihatethefda » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:48 pm

maura101 wrote:I have a yogurt maker, and would love to make dairy-free yogurts for my daughter. All the recipes I come across suggest using regular yogurt as a starter, but I do not want to expose her to casein, as she gets violent.

Any other ideas?

I came across this while searching for recipes. Hope it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24988

Leigh23

Postby Leigh23 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 am

Not been a great couple of weeks here in NZ. Mum has been in and out of hospital after her suction machine failed! Meetings with hospice and the multidisciplinary team have got more supports on board. Yah. She is losing so much weight due to not using the Fortisip or Ensure. She believes that it is the leading reason she produces so much mucous and has chosen to just have food pureed to a water as anything too thick gets blocked in her peg. Is there a non diary, or soy Total Food that is available. Probably not here though I suspect. Or a very good supplement she could add to her own food.

holy1976

Postby holy1976 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 am

Hi there, I haven't checked it out myself but apparently Arbonne sells GFCF shakes / powder.... Also have you tried getting additional calories from coconut milk? Neatest thing to keep regular coconut milk cans in the fridge, the cream solidifies to the top and the water stays in the bottom (I'd say minimum 3days in fridge). Then open your can and take out the hardened cream and I whip it up with a little sweetener (agave or whatever) If sugar can be tolerated the Epicure fruit dip mixes are nice for flavor. My little guy is 7 months on th GFCF and I wish I would've discovered this months ago. I put berries in a little container with the whipped cream as his yogurt alternative.

Holly
Holly

Graeme 5.5 yrs
Claire 4 months

maura101

Postby maura101 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Wow. I am so clueless, I never saw these replies. Thank you everyone! Holly, that sounds delicious. I will try it. My daughter responds very well to coconut. Leigh23, sorry things not well. I hope she is improving. ihatethefda, the recipe sounds great! Will definitely try it.

Thanks again, and sorry for the delay.

Return to “Recipes”