Bread ideas for school sandwiches

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
maura101

Bread ideas for school sandwiches

Postby maura101 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 am

Hello! I am struggling with my daughter's school sandwiches. We were doing great at home with Food for Life's Rice-pecan, but her classroom is nut free. So, we are using Food For Life's regular brown rice bread, which is sticking in her belly like glue. She has a little basketball tummy. Granted, I avoid sandwiches whenever possible, but also want to give her the variety so that she will actually eat.

I have been looking at the Nourishing Traditions recipes and SCD and GAPS recipes to address the belly issues, all which seem fabulous, but my daughter cannot have:

gluten
egg
dairy
and we need to do no nuts for school

Has anyone had success modifying some of these recipes for allergies? It seems that eggs are the hardest to avoid. I use ground flax in pancakes, etc. and wonder if that would work.

Thank you!

mimicry

Re: Bread ideas for school sandwiches

Postby mimicry » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:41 am

Maybe try coconut flour bread?

Most recipes have almond flour, but I don't know how that translates in allergies, I've never heard of a violent airborne particle tree-nut allergy like with peanuts.

You could probably follow the substitutions listed in the comments section of this recipe, as well as egg substitutes.

http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.co ... rimal.html

maura101

Postby maura101 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:57 am

That looks delicious, and I could modify for the eggs and the almond flour. Thank you Mimi!

ScrappyMommyof3

Postby ScrappyMommyof3 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:58 pm

When my son was doing GF we had great luck with King Arthur brand flour. I used my bread machine and my normal white bread recipe. I used the flour, added in zanthum gum (I think it was 1 tsp per cup of GF flour), used dairy free margarine and soy milk (you could also use rice milk) and got a great loaf of bread. He couldn't tell the difference. The only reason we stopped doing GF was because it didn't seem to make any difference for him. We still do CF because we have noticed that any slip in that and his behavior is horrible.
Mom of 3
Daughter 13, Learning disabled
Son 9, Non-Verbal ASD
Son 9, Neuro-Typical

Return to “Recipes”