low proetein, low sulphur, low sugar recipes

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
georgiam

low proetein, low sulphur, low sugar recipes

Postby georgiam » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Hello All,
Just wanted to know if anyone has any recipes that are low protein, low sulphur, low sugar. We have always gravitated towards high protein, high fat for my dd due to low cholesterol and yeast issues, but believe its backfiring now given a suspected CBS mutation and lots of excitotoxicity. But I've been doing high protein, high fat for so long I'm at a loss of how to revamp everything. Anybody have any ideas?

makingitpossible

Re: low proetein, low sulphur, low sugar recipes

Postby makingitpossible » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:05 pm

We are in the same boat.
I would consider buying some sprouted flours: http://www.organicsproutedflour.net/sproutedflour.html

We do a low oxalate and are trying to get the protein down too.

I am going to start doing sprouted millet and lentil flours for sure.

Right now I make "cookies" out of 2 cups soaked sunflower seeds, one banana (I know sugar but makes lots of cookies), 3 tbsp. xylitol, coconut oil and stevia. I put in food processor and blend and then dehydrate.

I do similar stuff with split peas (make crackers out of these) and pumpkin seeds.

I made pancakes out of sprouted lentils and zucchini that were pretty good.

I can't wait to make a waffle out of sprouted millet flour. Sad but this will be the highlight of my week :).

Flax is a good egg replacer.

Not sure what else but if you develop some good recipes let me know.

Coconut flour (if not allergic) could make some good stuff too.

georgiam

Postby georgiam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 am

thanks for all the info! so helpful!

I have always wondered about oxalates in our situation, especially since dd had diarrhea once and I could see little grains in her poop. the DAN told me it was because of malabsorption. don;t really value his opinion much these days, so as a precaution i have always tried to do a moderate oxalate diet.

will definitely look into the sprouted flours; great idea!
saw in the biomed board you posted that you soak the lentils in coconut kefir for 24 hrs to remove the lectins. where do u get the kefir from. i make my own, but sometimes run out, would love to know if you get one ready; could really help in an emergency.

right now the best recipe i have, (which is actually LOD too) are my pumpkin/squash "meatballs" its an easy dinner recipe cause its savory and not sweet.

i use pumpkin puree (fresh is best, but when not in season: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organ ... _puree.htm)
grated zucchini
romaine lettuce
chia seeds
fresh basil/mint/cilantro
daiya mozzarella shreds (i know junk, but my kids love it!)
salt to taste

I saute the zucchini in olive oil or ghee to get the water out, then saute the romaine lettuce and puree it with the fresh basil (whatever herb you like). mix everything else together. you can either broil these or fry them.

wish i had more recipes. i'll share more as i get more!

thanks again!

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:35 am

Georgiam-
Your recipe does sound good! I am going to post some recipes that I am mainly making up below and will try them in the next 3 weeks or so and report back. I need somewhere to post them in the meantime. I will just warn you I haven't made any yet but promise to report back!
I have decided to add back in egg yolks only. The whites are where most of the sulfur is and the yolks have all the fat soluble vitamins, cholesterol, phospholipids, etc. We have cut them out for the last six months due to a slightly elevated IGG but will try them back as she ate them for years before biomed without significant reaction.
Slightly Sweet Pumpkin Corn Bread (I adapted this from http://www.healyrealfoodvegetarian.com/ ... corn-cake/)
1/2 cup sprouted millet flour
1 cup sprouted corn flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp. xylitol
1/3 cup ghee
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3 pastured eggs yolks only (much lower in sulfur than whites but could substitute flax)
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
stevia to taste

Butternut squash Fritters
1 ½ cups of pureed butternut squash
2 egg yolks
½ cup coconut flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
Stevia to taste
Coconut oil to cook & may add some in recipe
Adapted from: http://lacucinaprimadona.blogspot.com/2 ... tters.html

Did not change this recipe:
Red Lentil Crepes
gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, grain-free, five ingredients or less
1/2 cup red lentils, soaked for a couple of hours
1 cup water
pinch of salt
olive oil, for the pan
Drain your lentils in a fine mesh strainer and rinse well, then add them to a blender with the water. Blend until smooth.
Lightly oil a non-stick pan and turn the heat to medium. When the pan is hot, spoon a half cup of batter into the pan and gently swirl it until the crepe is about six inches wide. Don’t make it too large, as that will make it more challenging to flip.
Cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip the crepe and cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side.
Remove the crepe from the heat, then repeat the process with the remaining batter. I got four crepes, but that may vary depending on how large you make yours.
Heap the crepes with your choice of filling, then serve.
http://thecopycatcook.wordpress.com/cat ... s-or-less/

Falafel Recipe:
Ingredients:
•2 medium zucchinis, roughly chopped
•3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 x 14oz / 400g cans)
•bunch of parsley
•1 Tbsp cumin
•1-3 tsp salt (recipe calls for 3 tsp but this sound a little much!)
•2 tsp paprika
•½ tsp cayenne
•juice of 1 lemon
•2 Tbsp flaxmeal + 6 Tbsp hot water
•3 tsp baking powder
•1 cup sprouted chickpea flour
http://thevedge.org/2013/01/vegan-falaf ... -free-raw/

Method:
1.Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F.
2.Add zucchini to the food processor and shred.
3.Add chickpeas, parsley, salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne and lemon juice and process into a chunky paste.
4.Move mixture to a bowl and add flax meal, baking powder and chickpea flour.
5.Spray a baking tray with olive oil. Spoon mixture onto tray into cookie sized bits.
6.Cook for 40 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Adapted from: http://thevedge.org/2013/01/vegan-falaf ... -free-raw/

Raw flax bread (high in sugar but need a "bread" for school)
3/4 shredded carrot (maybe some zucchini too?)
1/2 - 1 banana
½ cup ground flaxseed
½ tsp salt
1/4 cup palm oil (or coconut)
3 medium dates
Stevia to taste
1/3 cup water (if needed to blend)
Combine all in food processor and dehydrate (taste like fruit roll up almost). I have done something very similar to this recipe before but with chia seeds.
Be careful to refrigerate (or better keep in freezer) flax and don't store for long times because of omega-3 content which goes rancid.

More later to come!

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:24 pm

This is awesome and has about 13-15 grams of sugar (if you make it into 4 servings). Not the best but pretty low considering.

Raw Flax bread: Taste like fruit roll ups.

1/2 cup ground flax
1 large carrot
1 medium banana
4 dates
1 medium to large zucchini
salt and stevia to taste
cinnamon and ginger to taste
coconut oil (didn't measure...maybe 1/4 cup or less)

Mix all in food processor. Dehydrate. Makes a flat bread and can add nut butters on. This will be her new lunch 3 days a week.

georgiam

Postby georgiam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 pm

all these recipes sound great! i need to print them out and keep them handy.

betalinx

Postby betalinx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks georgiam and makingitpossible for these wonderful recipe ideas! We cant do all the ingredients as yet, but Im sure I can play around with it a bit.
I needed the inspiration for my manny's sake. Super excited!

Return to “Recipes”