L-Theanine

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Jillh

L-Theanine

Postby Jillh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:39 pm

I am trying like crazy to reduce the anxiety and ADHD in my 8 year old son. He's currently taking an amino acid powder that contains L-Theanine, but only 50mg. Has anyone had success using L-Theanine for anxiety and ADHD and if so what would the dosage be for a 55lb child. I know I'm other countries that's their go to for ADHD and pretty high doses. Thanks so much!!

Jillh

Re: L-Theanine

Postby Jillh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Bump:)

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:08 am

What else is in that amino acid powder?

Are you giving transdermal magnesium at all?

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm

He's currently taking
AM: Bioray Kids Calm & Focus
Nordic Naturals EFA & EPA
Vitamin D3 w/ K2

After School: Probiotic

Dinner: Bioray Happy & Shine
Mega Foods B Centered (this contains the L-Theanine 75mg along with some other things).

Before Bed: Kids Calm Multi vitamin w Magnesium.

I have transdermal magnesium spray and do epsom salt baths a couple of times a week. I also use various Doterra essential oils.

I have to say 1 month in he is like a different child. It's like the edge is gone and he's more relaxed and takes redirection better and is far less hyperactive and compulsive with his interests. I will say I tried to add additional L Theanine last week and it made him very emotional and almost angry. So not trying that again! Sometimes I have to remind myself that more is not always better and for the first time in 8 years I feel comfortable where we are to just keep things how they are and just let the therapies and other interventions really sink in. I know all our kiddos are different, but I wanted to share what we are using and say in the month we have been on these I have a totally different child! I had prescriptions from his Dr for ADHD meds as well as an SSRI and was really really thinking of filling the SSRI. I never say never and who knows what tomorrow will bring, but I couldn't be happier about today:))

PollyH

Re: L-Theanine -- SSRIs

Postby PollyH » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Giving SSRIs to baby mice causes autism in these animals. Also women taking SSRIs are more likely to have an autistic child. I'd be very careful about using an SSRI. It increases free serotonin. An irritated gut will increase free serotonin, too.

PollyH

Re: L-Theanine -- SSRI or B3

Postby PollyH » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Instead of an SSRI to increase serotonin, I would consider Niacel, Coenzymated B3, vitamin C, and Vitamin E. These will slow down the degradation of tryptophan by the IDO enzyme. There are many infections that can increase the activity of the IDO enzyme, including LPS from gram negative bacteria, Strep, measles, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), herpes, Epstein Barr and cytomegalovirus (CMV). Of these, CMV and the herpes virus called Epstein Barr are often found in the intestines. (HIV is also a major problem in the intestines if you have this infection.)

PollyH

Re: L-Theanine SSRI or B3

Postby PollyH » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Lyme also activates the IDO enzyme.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”