Has anyone tried IV secretin?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Tracey

Has anyone tried IV secretin?

Postby Tracey » Fri May 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Our DAN suggested that we try IV secretin. I've never heard anything about this treatment and I'm wondering if it is safe. I'd love to get some input from anyone who has tried it.

Tracey

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Fri May 30, 2008 10:41 pm

We did 8 or 9 secretion infusions. We didn't see any obvious progress with his autism but he went from having completely undigested stools where he was absorbing absolutely no nutrients to having a formed stool in one week. I believe secretin not only improved his digestion, but quite possibly saved his life. He was very sick. I consider it one of the many successful treatments we tried. I feel like they started him on the road to recovery by improving his ability to utilize the other remedies, supplements, treatments we incorporated down the road.
Tami

Tracey

Postby Tracey » Sat May 31, 2008 9:39 am

Thanks Tami. My son has lots of gut issues including undigested food in his stool. I doubt that he is absorbing half of the supplements we are giving him. Our DAN said that it only works for a handful of kids but when it works it could be really helpful. I haven't heard of many people who have used it - is there a safety concern that you know of?

Tracey

helplessmom

Re:

Postby helplessmom » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:02 pm

Dear TamiW,

could you share the dose your child was having for IV secretin with me? Thanks!

TamiW wrote:We did 8 or 9 secretion infusions. We didn't see any obvious progress with his autism but he went from having completely undigested stools where he was absorbing absolutely no nutrients to having a formed stool in one week. I believe secretin not only improved his digestion, but quite possibly saved his life. He was very sick. I consider it one of the many successful treatments we tried. I feel like they started him on the road to recovery by improving his ability to utilize the other remedies, supplements, treatments we incorporated down the road.

alexsdad

Re: Has anyone tried IV secretin?

Postby alexsdad » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:37 pm

We gave it a try last year. I can't remember the exact dose but they went by vial. They gave 1 vial to my son at the local DAN's office. The nurse said usually the lips turn red on those kids who response to Secretin. That happened immediate on my son during the infusion but unfortunately nothing happened afterward. I read some successful stories from others on the internet but think the response rate is pretty low. I don't think many DANs recommend it any more but it is pretty safe and easy to trial if you still want to give a shot. I think we paid about a couple hundred dollars including the infusion fee.

TamiW

Re: Has anyone tried IV secretin?

Postby TamiW » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:24 pm

I don't know the dose they gave him. It was such a long time ago and I would have not even known what a good dose was at his age/weight. I trusted the doctor to handle that part. He did get the red lips and a red flushing on his neck. Not every time though. We always had to stay 30 minutes following each injection to make sure he tolerated it fine. He always did.
Tami

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”