Vitamin D Experts - Cod Liver Oil (w/ 1,000 IU)?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Summer

Vitamin D Experts - Cod Liver Oil (w/ 1,000 IU)?

Postby Summer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:33 am

I was very close to ordering Nordic Naturals Arctic-D Cod Liver Oil for my son...
http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/98/?ProdID=1440

...but then ran across an article which stated to be careful including high amounts of Vitamin D with a supplement you give every day, especially in summertime, due to the potential for toxicity. For you Vitamin D experts, is 1,000 IU enough to be concerned about, assuming my son is getting minimal amounts via his diet and multivitamin? I know his bloodwork last August revealed his Vitamin D levels are "normal." We already dose 1 tsp. per day of NN's Cod Liver Oil, but it has minimal amounts of Vitamin D.

thanks!
Summer

Summer

Postby Summer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:49 am

and now I'm reading we should cease supplementing Vitamin A (which is in our CLO) if giving higher doses of Vitamin D because they counteract each other :? ???

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:56 am

http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

Summer

Postby Summer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:47 am

thanks WD, I have requested to join the Vitamin D group to see what their thoughts on regarding the combination of the two supplements. Here is a passage from the article that has me wondering...

Vitamin A antagonizes the action of vitamin D. In humans, even the vitamin A in a single serving of liver impairs vitamin D's rapid intestinal calcium response. Furthermore, the consumption of preformed retinols, even in amounts consumed by many Americans in both multivitamins and cod liver oil, appears to be causing low-grade, but widespread, bone toxicity—perhaps through its antagonism of vitamin D. In a recent dietary intake study, Kyungwon, et al found high retinol intake completely thwarted vitamin D's otherwise protective effect on distal colorectal adenoma and they found a clear relationship between vitamin D and vitamin A intakes as the women in the highest quintile of vitamin D intake also ingested almost 10,000 IU of retinols/day. As early as 1933, Hess, et al warned about vitamin A consumption, concluding, as to a requirement of thousands of units of vitamin A daily, the unquestionable answer is that this constitutes therapeutic absurdity which, happily, will prove to be only a passing fad. Rohde CM, Deluca HF. All-trans retinoic acid antagonizes the action of calciferol and its active metabolite, 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol, in rats. J Nutr. 2005;135(7):1647–1652. Johansson S, Melhus H. Vitamin A antagonizes calcium response to vitamin D in man. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16(10):1899–1905. Penniston KL, Tanumihardjo SA. The acute and chronic toxic effects of vitamin A. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;83(2):191–201. Oh K, Willett WC, Wu K, Fuchs CS, Giovannucci EL. Calcium and vitamin D intakes in relation to risk of distal colorectal adenoma in women. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;165(10):1178–1186. Hess AF, Lewis JM, Barenberg LH. Does our dietary require vitamin A supplement? JAMA. 1933;101:657–663.

Unfortunately, Hess's prophecy of a passing fad proved premature and many Americans continue to consume absurd and dangerous quantities of vitamin A. For example, multivitamins, until recently, had small amounts of vitamin D (200–400 IU) but high amounts of preformed retinols (5,000–10,000 IU). This pales in comparison to a tablespoon of modern cod liver oil, which contains sub-physiological amounts of vitamin D (400–1200 IU) but supra-physiological amounts of completely preformed retinols (5,000–15,000 IU or in some cases 30,000 IU).

He also says...
I see Dr. Yasko recommends 10,000 IU of vitamin A per day as well as cod liver oil. I strongly disagree. Make sure your son is taking neither vitamin A or cod liver oil. Rather, make sure he eats colored vegetables. Vitamin A interferes with vitamin D's function, especially at the doses Dr. Yasko recommends.

Here's a link to the full article, which is actually a reprint of an e-mail exchange between the mother of a son with autism and Dr. John Jacob Cannell, Executive Director of the Vitamin D Council... http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/2008-june.shtml

thanks again,
Summer

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi Summer

I have a thought...
why would God put both Vitamin A and D together in some foods if there react or interfere with each other ??

Maybe they don't under normal circumstances
maybe the foods that contain them also contain other things that keep these two from fighting

I believe the problem arises when we supplement with artificial vitamins that are way out of balance with other vitamins and when the natural thingys ( that's a scientific term ) that would also normally be there are not.

Some fish oils contain both vitamin A and D naturally so if you need both then that's the fish oil to use. Check the labels !

Personally I wouldn't drop Vitamin A on just the basis of one or two scientific papers - I would look for a natural supply of both. And anybody who says no CLO is ignoring the many mums and dads who swear by it.

regards
WD
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

Summer

Postby Summer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:20 pm

you are right, I shouldn't over think (or over research) -- just go with my gut -- which tells me to add more Vitamin D3!

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:09 pm

Also only animal sources--such as CLO--contain the VERY important cis form of vitamin a. Plant sources do not--only the beta carotene form. Read more about the cis form of A in Dr. Mary Megson's research (google it; there's lots.)

Also you can read about CLO in Dr. Weston Price's research. It is absolutely an effective and potent addition to our diets, but only 1-2 tsp. daily.

I agree, too, that God's food works differently than man-made supplements.
Amanda, mom of 3

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:02 pm

You get 10,000 iu of vitamin D from just 20 minutes in the sun. This tells me that we are supplementing too much vitamin A from unnatural sources. This is the problem. You'd have to eat a lot of carrots to get that in such a short time. Liver too. Getting a little sun each day actually controls the amount of natural vitamin D in your body. You can't get too much this way...this is what a tan does. Just like Williams_Dad says, when you start taking things out of their natural form you run into problems. I do think that supplementing vitamin D in the winter really would help our kids, but if they are out in the sun everyday, then this is the best and safest way to get it. You don't have to let your kids burn, but let them play a bit outside without contstantly being covered with sunscreen, this has been detrimental to our kids and us. Same with vitamin A. Liver tastes a bit repulsive for a reason. We should only eat a little of it, or we'll get too much vitamin A. but it is one of the best ways to get it. much better than a supplement.

Jen

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Dr. N has 400-800 on his worksheet when not chelating. I can't seem to find a link to the word file, but I'll bet Rick can get it for you.

However, some docs will prescribe additional vitamin D3 supplementation beyond Cod Liver Oil. My child is on both, per his DAN.

There's also another wild card. If a child has a mutation at the Vitamin D receptor SNP's VDR-Taq or VDR-Fok, that child might have a greater need for additional Vitamin D. Yasko has both Cod Liver Oil and D3 in her step one protocol as well.

The best thing you can do is start the cod liver oil for a while and have a doc test vitamin D levels. Any pediatrician can order this from just about any lab and it can be billed to insurance. The genetic testing can't hurt either.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

frivera28

Re: Vitamin D Experts - Cod Liver Oil (w/ 1,000 IU)?

Postby frivera28 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Anyone using Nordic Naturals - Arctic-D Cod Liver Oil?

I would rather give this as opposed to CLO and then Vitamin D3.

Rockhopper

Postby Rockhopper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 pm

October for southern hemisphere???
Last edited by Rockhopper on Sat May 07, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frivera28

Postby frivera28 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks Rockhopper,

So what is your daily supplement schedule?
I was giving 2 packets of Coromega, CLO and DRN in the morning. If I start giving vitamin D3 separately, should I give the CLO in the evening because of the vitamin A?

Rockhopper

Postby Rockhopper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Don't know about accuracy of my info.
I understand fish oil binds to calcium and both can be lost.
Last edited by Rockhopper on Sat May 07, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spectrummom

Postby spectrummom » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Vitamin D makes my son SUPER emotional, we are talking 2,000 IU's makes him afraid of everything, crying more, and very whiney, take it away, and within couple of days he is back to his normal self, has anyone else noticed this?

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”