Does anyone here use Frankincense?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

mamato3

Does anyone here use Frankincense?

Postby mamato3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:09 pm

I bought some frankincense oil for DS because a friend suggested it to help calm him down when he is really hyper. I have read that it also helps with inflamation.

I was told to mix a couple of drops with olive oil and rub on his feet. Does anyone else use this? How often do you use it (everyday/or only occasionally?) How effective is it?

Thanks!

amanda NC

Re: Does anyone here use Frankincense?

Postby amanda NC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Not yet--but I have it in my cupboard for the same reasons. I have not begun it in earnest; I started for like two days, but got sidetracked, and stopped as I want to be sure I know if it's helping or not. We do use Thieves Oil though, with good results. It seems to do much the same as milk thistle does for us. It seems to help with liver function. My eyes are not as puffy, and I do not seem to react to allergens nearly as much. My skin also is clearer--my mild acne-like stuff is much better. We trialed that for three months. Oh, for my son the Thieves Oil just seems to help him have better days, and also helps his skin. The skin thing is important to me, as I have noticed over the years that bad skin means we have toxic build-up or liver issues here. When my skin is great, I feel great too! They seem to go together.

Post as you use the frankincense! I will too--we have big issues with inflammation and I am hoping this helps. We currently use Motrin daily for inflammation, and I would like using an oil better, as I feel it would be safer.
Amanda, mom of 3

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 pm

yes, I have both the resin, which I burn, and the essential oil, which I dilute with cold pressed vegetable oil (mine is a blend, but any cold pressed oil works good).

Frankincense is one of the few substances that can cross the blood brain barrier to reduce inflammation.

If you're using it on your skin or taking it internal please make sure it's therapeutic grade essential oil and not just oil =) If it is just oil, then only use for aromatherapy.

It seems to be pretty neutral here. My son shows really no change when we use it verses other oils that are calming. For me, I notice a big difference if I use it for aromatherapy when I have a headache.

If you haven't used essential oil on your kiddo start with 1 drop diluted in the oil and rubbed on his feet, you can ramp up to 6 drops a day. That's drops! Teeny amount. I really prefer this oil to be diffused, it just seems more effective to me that way. (use an ultrasonic humidifyer if you don't want to dish out the bucks for an oil vaporizer, same thing anyway).

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Tue May 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Any up-dates on using frankincense? I would like to try it for my daughter and would like to know where I can buy it from. Is there a preferred brand? Does anyone see a difference with it?

Thanks

mamato3

Postby mamato3 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 pm

It's still sitting in my cupboard...I've been waiting for a really bad day to try it.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Wed May 04, 2011 6:09 am

mamato3 wrote:It's still sitting in my cupboard...I've been waiting for a really bad day to try it.

I wouldn't wait for a really bad day, start with a day with general anxiety. I used calming oils in the car to start, as my son would often get stressed over any change in route. When he first started riding the bus, before we go to therapy...etc.

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Wed May 04, 2011 7:17 am

My Dad sent it to me to reduce inflammation. Still trailing it here. I know we saw good things with the Thieves oil; similar to our liver support products. My skin cleared up really well, and my eyes were not puffy. Stopped it and it all has come back. So I think we will try to keep it in if we can afford it. One of the easier things to do!
Amanda, mom of 3

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Wed May 04, 2011 3:42 pm

amanda NC wrote:My Dad sent it to me to reduce inflammation. Still trailing it here. I know we saw good things with the Thieves oil; similar to our liver support products. My skin cleared up really well, and my eyes were not puffy. Stopped it and it all has come back. So I think we will try to keep it in if we can afford it. One of the easier things to do!

Really, thieves is 90% of what we need. (Even though I have a huge cache of different oils)

Wintergreen is probably the best for inflammation, but frankensence can cross the bbb.

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 am

mimicry, I have read your posts on essential oils and would like to ask you about frankincense as I am confused. First of all, I have never seen, touched or smelled an essential oil, in other words, I am completely ignorant on the subject, but would like to know more.

My daughter does very well on Boswellia as a powder supplement. As I'm sure you know, it is a herb that reduces edema and inflammation in the body and crosses the blood brain barrier. It has been great for my daughter but causes her some gastrointestinal distress. I was thinking of trying the frankincense essential oil for her inflammation, to by-pass the gut. From what I read, there are five different frankincense oils - which one do you recommend? I read that the oils must be high quality, the problem is that it is hard to distinguish on the internet which one would be suitable. Where would I purchase it from? How often do you use it and what benefits have you seen?

Thank you

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Fri May 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Boswellia carteri is the one I recommend. It's not very cheap though, around $92 for about 200 doses.

It's recommended to be given 1 drop at a time in milk, such as rice or coconut. And to avoid use in very small children. It can irritate the skin, so if you do it topically on the soles of the feet, mix it with with a cold pressed vegetable oil, or virgin coconut oil.

Oregano or wintergreen would be more economical oils to use strictly for inflammation. Frankincense does have that additional calming quality to it.

Some other oils to consider using.

Oregano (most important)
Melaleuca Ericafolia =form of tea tree oil
Dill
Nutmeg
Lemongrass
Peppermint

Other Essential oils that were shown to have intermediate nitric oxide inhibition were:

Lemon
Frankincense
Tangerine
Myrtle
Lavender
Patchouli
Eucalyptus polybractea
Juniper
Clove
Orange
Eucalyptus radiata

Lemon is probably the cheapest of them all (about $8 a bottle). Lavender and tea tree can have a small chance of producing too much estrogen in boys. They are both calming as well though.

Whatever brand you buy, make sure it's pure therapeutic grade essential oil. A drop goes a long way, and too much can be too harsh on detoxing the body, 6 drops max until you see what is tolerated. I use young living oils, you can buy right from the website or there are some other sites who sell their products, sometimes cheaper. (I've been thinking about selling some myself, my mom carries them in her salon, but she's 850 miles from me!)

Through personal trial and error, I find frankincense is most effective for me being diffused. I typically use it with a headache, and other oils for other types of inflammation. Again I use thieves about 90% of the time, the mix is just so well rounded for a host of issues, inflammation being one of them.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 pm

here's a link to a blog written on oils and the blood brain barrier. http://aromatherapy4u.wordpress.com/200 ... tial-oils/

Cross reference the types with the inflammation list and find the one that best fits the budget and give it a try!

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Can somebody recommend a good brand for Frankincense oil? Do you let your child smell it, rub it, or take it internally? What other oils have anti-seizure and anti-inflammatory effects?

Somebody gave me a small booklet of essential oils. Frankincense oil is listed for autism, inflammation and seizures. They recommend to inhale it, or take internally or rub it on the sculp. Which way is better?

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:37 pm

NOW foods is the brand I mostly use now. Young living is too much of a rip-off! Inhaled is best, via a diffuser.

bol8lod

Postby bol8lod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Kastania wrote:mimicry, I have read your posts on essential oils and would like to ask you about frankincense as I am confused. First of all, I have never seen, touched or smelled an essential oil, in other words, I am completely ignorant on the subject, but would like to know more.

My daughter does very well on Boswellia as a powder supplement. As I'm sure you know, it is a herb that reduces edema and inflammation in the body and crosses the blood brain barrier. It has been great for my daughter but causes her some gastrointestinal distress. I was thinking of trying the frankincense essential oil for her inflammation, to by-pass the gut. From what I read, there are five different frankincense oils - which one do you recommend? I read that the oils must be high quality, the problem is that it is hard to distinguish on the internet which one would be suitable. Where would I purchase it from? How often do you use it and what benefits have you seen?

Thank you

First of all to be honest, I came here to let you know my family frankincense product, I will not say anything more about it you can just check it here [LINK REMOVED PER RULES]

now to your question which really caught my attention , hence I would love to share with you my experience in this field.

there is no pure frankincense oil in the market, the closest pure oil cannot exceed 80 percent otherwise it will be sticky like honey. so how do they dissolve it? either through dissolving agents or heating it with an orderless oil. I really hate to say that we stopped producing oils due to its short shelf life and possibility of rotting over time.

just buy any raw frankincense from a known origin and let few pieces of frankincense soak in water for no less than 24 hours. well the time will depend on the temperature where you live. the colder the more you need to let it soak. after the water has taken enough of frankincense taste, remove any hard parts and let your daughter drink few, see if she gets any reaction that you mentioned.

or you may do the same thing but this time in bathtub and let here relax there for some time.

hope this helps.

farewell

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”