anyone using high dose vitamin D? check out this case

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

dabaxter

Re: anyone using high dose vitamin D? check out this case

Postby dabaxter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 pm

From the Vitamin D Council site and Dr. Canell:
My advice is to give enough vitamin D to get him to at least a 100 ng/mL (250 nmol/L) and if that does not work increase the dose until his 25(OH)D level is 150 ng/mL (375 nmol/L).
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Here is another new study on Vitamin D in pregnancy and brain development (not specifically autism). We are waiting to get the Vitamin D level test back next week, but have started 4000IU daily.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/ne ... study-says

mbzoltan

Postby mbzoltan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 pm

A lot of kids on the spectrum have mutations in the vitamin D receptor pathways. I had my 33-lb kid on 6000 IU/day from about Feb. to June, then down to 2000, and his July blood levels were only 48.

I take 10,000 IU about 4x a week and mine are in the 50s. I have the same mutation as my son.

susiejay

Postby susiejay » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 pm

mbzoltan wrote:A lot of kids on the spectrum have mutations in the vitamin D receptor pathways. I had my 33-lb kid on 6000 IU/day from about Feb. to June, then down to 2000, and his July blood levels were only 48.

I take 10,000 IU about 4x a week and mine are in the 50s. I have the same mutation as my son.

I just upped to 4000iu a day for ds but I'm wondering if I'm doing enough. He is +/+ for VDR Taq. His level was 40 a little over a year ago before we'd done any higher doses at all. I've given all of my kids 400iu Vit D for years but realize that is no where near enough. Ds's DAN told us 50 was an ideal level so I hadn't worried too much about the Vit D but now I see she was wrong in telling us 50 was the target.

I'm doing 2 sprays of Yasko's Vit D which has sage and rosemary which is supposed to help absorption. We just started that maybe a month ago. It was out of stock for a long time. I also give 2000iu drop directly on the tongue and a bunch of his other Yasko supps have small amounts.

I've been doing 5000iu a day myself but I haven't gotten my levels tested. I have to have at least one copy of the mutation since ds has 2 copies.

KKKK74

Postby KKKK74 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:44 pm

I had my vit D checked when I was pregnant with my daughter and it extremely high (we live in Singapore). My daughter has done almost daily sunbathing since she was born and hers is still low. There is definately more to this than just getting the vit D.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 pm

Interesting. KKKK did you try direct D3 supplementation to see if that raised her D levels? Looks like the body uses sunlight to make vit D from cholesterol but if that isn't being done as efficiently then presumably would still have Vit D deficiency.

KKKK74

Postby KKKK74 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 am

I haven't tried anything with her yet. We did the test fairly recently and for some reason there is no copy in her file so I can't tell you figures but it was low. In amongst everything else we are doing I haven't had time to look at this specifically. Her doctor is making her a compound and I'm sure he will put it in that. He put 2,000 IU a day in my son's compound so I may need to look at upping them.

mbzoltan

Postby mbzoltan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am

From what I have read, it isn't just about levels but about absorption, which is one reason why Cannell advocates taking levels so high for kids on the spectrum. It is like checking folate levels, or b12 -- you can have a "within range" level, but if your body isn't absorbing it and directing it where it needs to go, that "normal" lab result is useless from a health standpoint.

LittleBirdsLoved

Postby LittleBirdsLoved » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:28 pm

MTS
Last edited by LittleBirdsLoved on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 pm

We got our results as well and it was 49 so not as low as I had thought it would be (we were supplementing daily with at least 1000IU). Doc thought that was low although still in reference range. We have been trying 5000IU for couple of weeks now. Unfortunately his Vitamin A results came out very very low - doc said that is the lowest he had seen so he wanted us to do 10000IU vit A daily - dosing it separately from Vitamin D :( Going to focus on supplementing vit A before focusing on Vit D levels.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:45 pm

we had a problem after giving vitamin D for 2 weeks at higher doses. More eye stuff came back. Not sure how all of this plays and if there's a regression with vitamin D that has a positive gain at the end. Dunno about that. May try to write Dr. Cannell about it, because I do think low vitamin D/or ability to use it is an issue because of my son's muscular and bone structure problems. If it needs cholesterol...then the problem with it could be due to parasites. Parasites utilize cholesterol somehow. Some even put out a chemical that lowers cholesterol like the statin drug does. I just read this during the week, I'll have to dig it up somewhere. It was bacteria or parasites that I had read...which would totally make sense as to the major issues parasites can cause.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

biomed_dad

Postby biomed_dad » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Our DAN recommended 4000 IU daily after a 25-hydroxy vitamin D level of 13, which is very low.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”