DS took a turn for the worse.

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

ar11

DS took a turn for the worse.

Postby ar11 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Son is a little over 3 years old.

Has been on a GF diet since 22 months old, off and on. Egg free for the last 3 months. Probiotics for 8-9 months straight. No improvement from that. Magnesium and Zinc supplements off and on not regularly. CLO pretty frequently.

He was not and is not in severe condition. He talks a lot and can request things he wants, but has some major obsessions when it comes to fans and air conditioners. His play is centered around anything to do with fans. He looks for one in almost every setting no matter where we are. When he encounters a machine he will ask if it has a fan in it. Pretends to be an fan and goes on buzzing around off an on throughout the day like he is a fan.

At 10 months I felt there was something off. We took him to countless doctors who said he's a quirky kid, but no major signs of autism since he talks. His attention is certainly deficient and I worry about possible Asperger's or PDD. Hard to get him dressed in the morning as he talks about fans constantly when we are doing our daily routines, and just doesn't seem to get it or be with it. It has been hard to get him into any type of daycare setting as he has severe anxiety and just seems not to know what to do there, like the other kids.

On the other hand he is very intuitive in cognitive skills. He can also be very cunning and manipulative when he wants something and displays the understanding of humor.

Over the last year we have done some testing including stool analysis, OAT, and IgG testing.

Both OAT and Stool Analysis point to possible yeast overgrowth, specifically candida krusei per the last Comprehensive Stool Analysis, but it falls within normal "non pathogenic" levels at +1. Stool analysis also reveals some alpha strep and gamma strep in the commensal flora, not pathogenic.

Is there anyone on this site that has actually recovered their kid? I can't seem to cope with the day to day changing of behaviors. There used to be more frequency of days about a year ago where he seemed "ok", like possibly he would come out of this. Those days seem to dwindle now to once every two months. While he has not been diagnosed, it's obvious to me something is just not right, and I know someone will say something soon.

Tried GSE for a week and it seems it didn't do anything, if anything a few weeks later that is when he seemed to get worse with the obsessions and not listening.

IgG testing revealed a sensitivity to bakers and brewer's yeasts, eggs, casein and a few other less troublesome things, but NOT to gluten.

Recently we have continued with gluten free (so as not to introduce a change in factors) and added casein free, and yeast free in addition to the egg free for about 1.5 weeks. Limited sugar, but still no improvement.

Re B vitamins.... we have tried them though around the time we did I noticed sudden worsening of symptoms. Now I know why... Given the baker's yeast reaction on IgG I see that I wasn't imagining things. S Cerevisae which the B vitamins are composed of IS BAKER'S Yeast and I presume that is what he was reacting to. His metals as of last 6 month hair test were within normal ranges.

Any ideas what to try? Like everyone here I just want my kid back. I know it's possible, I've seen the clarity some days, but can't connect the dots.

Santosg

Re: DS took a turn for the worse.

Postby Santosg » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:42 am

Stay positive. It is incredibly good news to hear that he has language and does engage in imaginative play. Insist of having him evaluated for a diagnosis, even if he's had one in the past.

In terms of obsessive behaviors, inositol is frequently used to treat anxiety and OCD. I think it is worth looking into for him.

If you have a diagnosis, you should be able to begin behavioral intervention. Beyond biomedical, I think that ABA is a critical component of helping kids to normalize.

Have children recovered? These boards are not really a good place to answer that question conclusively. The short answer is, yes. Absolutely. There are many authentic cases of recovery. From a biomedical perspective, claims can't be generalized as children have very distinct needs and each required distinct set of interventions. From a behavioral perspective, the results of ABA have been authenticated and replicated. Dr. Lovaas was able to recover a large percentage of children who recieved early and intensive ABA therapy. Many of these children has a 20 point increase in IQ and become indistinguishable from 'normal' peers. The gains they made in early childhood remained years afterward. http://dddc.rutgers.edu/pdf/mceachlin_et_al.pdf

The interesting thing about behavioral approaches, in my mind, is that it is just as much about training the parent as it is training the child. Children are utterly under our control, even if we don't know it or don't know how to alter their behavior easily.

You seem to have the biomedical ground fairly well covered. I think it might be worth your time to figure out how to develop a well organized system of positive reinforcement for your son. It will empower you to help your son and ease the difficulty his actions can produce.

Good luck.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:25 am

1) agreed with santosg. If you believe your son may be on the spectrum, get him assessed right away. aspergers and pdd-nos would fall under the ASD umbrella now under DSM-V. Biomed or med may help with some of the comorbid or underlying medical issues, but may need a lot of help on the social, cognitive, transitions and behavioural side.

2) Personally, I would ignore the IgG testing - while IgG may be elevated more in ASD compared to controls for pretty much everything, I don't believe it is clinically useful. It just reflects exposure which is why the gluten IgG was negligible - your son had been gluten free diet for a long time. I believe it is more clinically useful to test IgE (or skin prick) as well as the casein / gluten peptides test.

3) if true IgE mediated allergies exist, test histamines. The severe anxiety might be due to high cortisol levels and high cortisol could be the anti inflammatory response due to high histamines. If high histamines, then look into ways to inhibit not just h1 receptor but also histamine release in general including meds to do so.

4) support adrenals regardless. Maybe try b5, ashwaganda, etc. or other supplements that might help. Adrenal cortex may not be as ideal if cortisol levels are already high (due to stress or histamines). ALA and melatonin also suppress ACTH and cortisol.

We don't see signs of high anxiety in our son, so haven't really explored this approach yet. Above is just one plausible biomed approach that may or may not work. There are also gentler meds for anxiety that one can try. Our son is also very high functioning and does well in mainstream school. He used to be obsessed with fans, air conditioners and helicopters as well (anything with a rotor) and looked for it everywhere we went but that was when he was 2 years old and the rotor fixation is long gone and the current fixations are more varied, subtle and even appropriate.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:26 am

Obsessive behaviors are sometimes neurotransmitter related and also B vitamins can help as well. When we added in an essential amino acid regimen, my son stopped all his obsessions. He had a urine test that was low across the board in amino acids. They are needed to make serotonin, dopamine, norepenephrine, GABA, etc. Also, my son stopped obsessing with doors with B12 and B1. I found multi vitamins to be troublesome as certain ones antagonize each other, like B6 antagonizes B1, niacin antagonizes B12 (so does folic acid). B12 NEEDS to be raised prior to dosing any form of folic acid because this worsens the neurological effects of the B12 deficiency (I feel that too much folic acid supplementation is causing chronic B12 deficiency in newborns). We also didn't do well with CLO. It is kind of sulfury and it too was lowering B1 (also reason why low sugar diet helps kids is that sugar also lowers B1 or causes the body to use it up more).

if B1 is low, then too many probiotics could cause him to overproduce lactic acid…which is a sign of B1 deficiency and something to watch as well. Sulfurs/sulfates (epsom salt baths, some minerals), sugars, tannins, phenols all reduce thiamine and make it unusable, so does alcohol (a lot of yeast fighters are phenolic and have tannins in them…creating more B1 deficiency!). ACV works great on strep and yeast. A tiny amount with food helps digestion as well. Low stomach acid will also cause thiamine and B12 deficiency. (we had undetected h. pylori infection that was only picked up in stool test)

that was our problem mostly, and kids are all different. They shouldn't worsen to get better (I kept waiting for the regressive healing to be better on the other side, it usually was fleeting and slowly got worse). If you're on an off doing things, it's hard to tell what is doing what. I'd stick to the change in food long enough to see if it helps as well.

here's a great B12 documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEizypoyO0

other things that helped a lot
PhosChol and now LipoPhos Forte
Lecithin
Potassium
Enzymes (candidate helps a lot with yeast)
Coenzyme B1 (source naturals, 2-3 at a time…usually 2x a day or more)
Dibencoplex B12
Magnesium gluconate
riboflavin
Occasionally adding in other vitamins as needed (B6 only 2x a week and in lower amounts than many doing Biomed)

My kid is almost recovered, he is needing a lot of help catching up in school. He was severely delayed and quite autistic though. Had a lot of motor skill delays and problems that are all resolved. Therapy DOES have it's place. ABA actually corrects the reward system that's damaged in ASD kids, part of why it works and may be correcting the brain damage from long term thiamine deficient. Cross over therapies also help a lot like Brain Balance, Brain Gym (Diane Kraft has some great information on her site with this type of therapy). Too much focus on Biomed isn't the best way to go either. I wish I'd been doing it all the whole time. Live and learn. But cognitively he plays with friends now, normal age appropriate stuff, happy and can ride a bike, climb a tree and so much more than before. If I'd left his B12 and B1 alone and never touched it, he'd still be severely affected I feel. He had so many physical problems along with ASD, that definitely couldn't have been addressed with only ABA. Only certain kids recover with ABA alone.

hth
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

ar11

Postby ar11 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Thank you for these very informative responses. Lots to think about an look into.

We have a prescription to have cortisol levels checked. In the interest of not taking too much blood while doing IgG we opted to leave this out for a few weeks. I plan to also ask that they add the vitamins to see what the levels are.

I should mention the OAT test we did last year didn't indicate B12 deficiencies. In fact I worried about this and we gave him methyl B12 for a few days. Upon doing so we encountered never before seen behaviors like hand flapping. This went off and on, but stopped eventually. Things like this make me nervous employing biomed and it seems it's incredibly difficult to find a Dr who looks into all aspects of things to give a proper suggestion.

Are there any B vitamins which are not yeast based? We were using MegaFood which turned out to have had strange behaviors come out when we tried.

I suspect his attention deficit may be related to yeast, but the obsessive behaviors to something else.

Jeni, could you elaborate on the amino acid regimen you tried?

ar11

Postby ar11 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:19 am

Just coming back to this again because so many questions. I tend to question everything when it comes to all of this because I don't want to make things worse. Hope I don't sound doubtful below, it's coming from a worried place.

Santosg - inositol has been suggested, but I'm nervous of supplements in general and not trying things on a whim so to speak... I've read horror stories about sudden seizures as a result. I worry about making things worse by giving him the "wrong" thing so to speak. I wonder if GSE had done something in itself. .. :(.. Not sure how to get over the hurdle whether to try biomed full scale or not.

Kulkulkan - The way I understood IgG is that it is the last line of defense of the immune system against toxins. If the body becomes sensitized through possible leaky gut, then it will turn on IgG and subclasses to get rid of it. As I understood it, it's things that may be getting through to the blood stream and hence the IgG response. So taking those foods away should hopefully ease that aspect of it while treating the gut. Am I wrong in that understanding, what are your thoughts on that? IgE tests came back clear a few months prior. Granted we did basic panels but everything including eggs (which were the biggest offender on IgG) came back clear.
A question about what you wrote here, " Biomed or med may help with some of the comorbid or underlying medical issues, but may need a lot of help on the social, cognitive, transitions and behavioural side."... Do you believethat social, cognitive, transitions and behavioral issues would not be something that can be addressed through biomed?

JeniB- I was not aware ACV (Apple cider vinegar?) can treat candida... Upon some quick research I see there's talk that it can. He has been identified with candida krusei, not albicans though, hoping it would work there too? As part of the yeast free diet regimen we were advised to stay away from vinegar in general. Is this one that would help instead of hurt? (side note vent.... what the heck CAN I feed him... ?) I'm not sure of his stomach acid... I know that the first stool analysis last year showed low Ph around 6 I think. This time around it is up from that to 6.6, so in normal range.. Not sure how that translates to actual stomach acid Ph, but that's per the stool. Re: B1, what is a normal dose for that? 100 mg capsules that I see on shelves seem like a lot even for an adult. Per RDA, Adequate Intake I see 3mg per day.

annalaurabrown

Postby annalaurabrown » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:57 pm

My integrative medical clinic that I go to which combines Eastern, Western and BioMed treatments has everyone with candida do a cleanse that involves Apple Cider Vinegar. I'd try it. It can't hurt. It also helps to cleanse and detox the liver and other good things as well.
10 Steps to Simple Healthy Meals Your Child With Autism Will Love http://spectrumofwellness.com

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:59 pm

ar11 wrote:Kulkulkan - The way I understood IgG is that it is the last line of defense of the immune system against toxins. If the body becomes sensitized through possible leaky gut, then it will turn on IgG and subclasses to get rid of it. As I understood it, it's things that may be getting through to the blood stream and hence the IgG response. So taking those foods away should hopefully ease that aspect of it while treating the gut. Am I wrong in that understanding, what are your thoughts on that? IgE tests came back clear a few months prior. Granted we did basic panels but everything including eggs (which were the biggest offender on IgG) came back clear.
A question about what you wrote here, " Biomed or med may help with some of the comorbid or underlying medical issues, but may need a lot of help on the social, cognitive, transitions and behavioural side."... Do you believethat social, cognitive, transitions and behavioral issues would not be something that can be addressed through biomed?

Don't get me wrong - I think trying various diets or an exclusion diet is a great idea. However, I wouldn't rely on IgG testing to do so - that only reflects exposure, which would be true for pretty much everything that a child eats, whether ASD or not. One can also just simply pick the top ten food that that are considered highly inflammatory/allergic if want to try exclusion diet or if considering any special diets. IgG food panel didn't really tell us anything other than what our child was already eating (or not). Better to spend $ on the peptides test / IgE test which may tell you something more clinically useful.

Yes, biomed can certainly help in those aspect as well but need a LOT more than that. Let's say some biomed interventions might help say produce more oxytocin. Oxytocin might help with social, but still need to build new neural pathways on appropriate behaviors related to social. The complexity of human / social interaction is actually far harder to learn (as well as teach) than language. Also, learned behaviors, whether appropriate or not, may still need to be corrected or modified which can only happen with actual new experience or new learning. Son Rise, Floortime or RDI (and lesser extent ABA) provide some insights and tools to help with social aspect whereas ABA is more practical approach to challenging behaviors.

There are only two recovered children that I know of - I've heard a lot more stories, but these are the only two from parents who I believe and trust and have spoken to (and by recovered I mean being completely indistinguishable from peers, not just lost diagnosis) - both did basic biomed only (diet, gut, supplementation and MB12 shots at most) and one extensively used Verbal Behaviour (ABA) only and the other one extensively used Son Rise only. Both of these kids didn't have much language around 3 years old. Of course, each child is unique and different and may have different medical and cognitive challenges. However, I do believe if I had the same intensive support (lifestyle approach rather than just counting on therapists/classroom) in place as these two parents from a therapy perspective, our son would be much closer to being recovered now.

Thorne Research B-complex claims to be "Yeast free" - whatever that might mean. We have been using that for couple of years now and it is very easy to mix in juice. We have just started Candida Support (NOW) for yeast which I like - has a bunch of stuff including caprylic acid in meaningful dosages. Yeasty behaviors were out of control two weeks ago and finally can see yeasty behaviors going down after using it for a week along with probiotics.

autismnhusa

Postby autismnhusa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:27 pm

My advice to you:
Stopping any supplements and any alleged treatments unless somebody has tried it on his/her kids with a long lasting success.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 pm

ar11 wrote:Son is a little over 3 years old.

Has been on a GF diet since 22 months old, off and on. Egg free for the last 3 months. Probiotics for 8-9 months straight. No improvement from that. Magnesium and Zinc supplements off and on not regularly. CLO pretty frequently.

...has some major obsessions when it comes to fans and air conditioners. His play is centered around anything to do with fans. He looks for one in almost every setting no matter where we are...

...Both OAT and Stool Analysis point to possible yeast overgrowth, specifically candida krusei per the last Comprehensive Stool Analysis, but it falls within normal "non pathogenic" levels at +1. Stool analysis also reveals some alpha strep and gamma strep in the commensal flora, not pathogenic.

...Tried GSE for a week and it seems it didn't do anything, if anything a few weeks later that is when he seemed to get worse with the obsessions and not listening.

IgG testing revealed a sensitivity to bakers and brewer's yeasts, eggs, casein and a few other less troublesome things, but NOT to gluten... S Cerevisae which the B vitamins are composed of IS BAKER'S Yeast and I presume that is what he was reacting to. His metals as of last 6 month hair test were within normal ranges.

Any ideas what to try?

You should read my old posts. My son too had candida krusei and was allergic to baker's yeast. We tried different yeast treatments (gfse, nystatin, diflucan, ampho b) and nothing helped. Although we did see good results from goldenseal, but whether it was related to its anti-fungal properties or anti-inflammatory properties is hard to say. We also tried GF/CF diet without any improvements. My son too had obsession with wheels and fans at 2-3yo. That slowly went away on its own (he is almost 6 now). There is no magic bullet to fix this condition. I am very skeptical to reports of recovery. I think those who recovered were probably very mild. My goal is not recovery (although it would be nice) but improving my son's condition to the point that he can live on his own and have a job. Keep in mind that there are many high-functioning autistic adults having well paying jobs and able to live on their own. We tried many supplements and most of them didn't help. Nootropics (Piracetam and Galantamine) helped with speech. Guanfacine/Tenex helped with tantrum outbursts. My son also has abnormal EEG (fast waves/spikes) and that could be an area for us to explore further.

ar11

Postby ar11 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:56 pm

Kulkulkan, You mention IgG would only show exposure, do you mean exposure in general of eating those foods or exposure to the system, meaning that it crossed the permeability of the gut and is now in the blood stream causing issues?

From the sounds of it I think you mean the former, though I question the latter from both sides as well. In all honesty I'm unsure 100% either way, but from my DS results the general exposure to food wouldn't completely add up for us. For example he eats oatmeal several times per week and that didn't come up as a reaction, but foods like coffee which he's never had came up as a reaction. There is a blog I found by a woman who claims to have recovered her kid based on excluding IgG from the diet, along with GF/CF/SF. Perhaps it was the magic bullet or maybe whatever else was bothering her kid happened to be on the list, but I did put a bit weight on her experience. Certainly I agree that I wouldn't rely on this alone, because if say IgG were the problem it would only be the secondary problem to possible gut permeability, hence why these sensitivities, and the gut wall still needs to be repaired. Here is a link to the blog if you want to see: http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com/

I completely agree about still needing to rebuild the neural pathways... I think exposure to experiences is a biggie.

Anna, ACV thinking of doing this in a little bit after trying the yeast free diet for a few weeks and seeing if that brings some results alone and then maybe hit with some antifungals.

Autismnhusa,
Can you mention what you mean by supplements i.e. which types? Do you consider probiotics as such? I question those and am in the process of "testing" them in my kitchen as I type. Could they also be manipulating the flora all around and possibly crowding out other GOOD bacteria... stuff that goes though my head when I'm driving.. and the key phrase you mention "long lasting" is important.

FatherOf2,
Was he allergic to Baker's Yeast through IgE or sensitive per IgG? Sorry for asking for the specificity, but just curious for the sake of exact comparison. Were his obsessions replaced by new obsessions or did the obsessions go away completely? Are you still seeing results from goldenseal? Going to take a look at your posts about c. krusei after I type this.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:57 am

My son is 2,5 years old. We are currently on "Feast withour Yeast" Diet and he is doing great so far.

My son responded well to Gluten-free Dairy-free Diet for a few months. Then he stopped progressing. His autistic symptoms were on and off. I think certain foods were triggering his symptoms. He gets very repetitive in his play, just moving toys from one box to another.

We got our OAT test back and it showed yeast and bacteria issues.

I had no idea that yeast infection could trigger autistic symptoms. I've read an article by Dr Bruce Semon and everything made so much sense to me. Now I am almost sure that sugars, barley malt, sweet fruit and some other foods were triggering his repetitive behaviors.

Here is a short explanation of "Feast without Yeast" Diet:
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/bo ... sect2.html

If you decide to try this diet, it only works with Nystatin. My son was on a Stage 4 "Feast without Yeast" Diet for 3 weeks with some results, but we've started to see real improvements as soon as he started taking Nystatin.

You might want to buy a book from this doctor to implement a diet. He also has a website with additional info.

Nystatin only works if you don't take any B vitamin supplements. Vitamin B supplements seem to interact with Nystatin. So please don't take vitamin B supplements (in fact, this doctor says that multivitamins often "feed" yeast and he suggests not to take any supplements while taking Nystatin)
There is no such thing as yeast resistance to Nystatin (you will see some suggestions on this forum to take Duflican instead of Nystatin). Duflican doesn't kill yeast in lower intestinal tract and only works for a short period of time.

Best and safest anti yeast drug is Nystatin. Nystatin can be taken for up to a few years without any side effects. However, Nystatin will work only if you follow the "Feast without Yeast" Diet. We've been doing this diet for 1 month only, but my son is already putting together 3 word sentences. His repetitive behavior is getting better.

I will be posting our progress on this diet in a few months time.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:38 am

varen2@gmail.com wrote:My son is 2,5 years old. We are currently on "Feast withour Yeast" Diet and he is doing great so far.

My son responded well to Gluten-free Dairy-free Diet for a few months. Then he stopped progressing. His autistic symptoms were on and off. I think certain foods were triggering his symptoms. He gets very repetitive in his play, just moving toys from one box to another.

I had no idea that yeast infection could trigger autistic symptoms. I've read an article by Dr Bruce Semon and everything made so much sense to me. Now I am almost sure that sugars, barley malt, sweet fruit and some other foods were triggering his repetitive behaviors.

If you decide to try this diet, it only works with Nystatin. My son was on a Stage 4 "Feast without Yeast" Diet for 3 weeks with some results, but we've started to see real improvements as soon as he started taking Nystatin.

You might want to buy a book from this doctor to implement a diet. He also has a website with additional info.

Nystatin only works if you don't take any B vitamin supplements. Vitamin B supplements seem to interact with Nystatin. So please don't take vitamin B supplements (in fact, this doctor says that multivitamins often "feed" yeast and he suggests not to take any supplements while taking Nystatin)
There is no such thing as yeast resistance to Nystatin (you will see some suggestions on this forum to take Duflican instead of Nystatin). Duflican doesn't kill yeast in lower intestinal tract and only works for a short period of time.

Best and safest anti yeast drug is Nystatin. Nystatin can be taken for up to a few years without any side effects. However, Nystatin will work only if you follow the "Feast without Yeast" Diet. We've been doing this diet for 1 month only, but my son is already putting together 3 word sentences. His repetitive behavior is getting better.

I would not try high dose of B12 or Apple Cider Vinegar if yeast is present in GI tract. It will feed the yeast and make it worse.
B12 nasal spray or injections might be acceptable as they don't go through GI tract and won't feed yeast.

My son is doing really great on "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin. Please read my full review of the diet and my son's progress here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33403

Josie

Postby Josie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:03 am

varen2@gmail.com wrote:
varen2@gmail.com wrote:My son is 2,5 years old. We are currently on "Feast withour Yeast" Diet and he is doing great so far.

I would not try high dose of B12 or Apple Cider Vinegar if yeast is present in GI tract. It will feed the yeast and make it worse.
B12 nasal spray or injections might be acceptable as they don't go through GI tract and won't feed yeast.

My son is doing really great on "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin. Please read my full review of the diet and my son's progress here:

Thanks for sharing your success. Yeast is a big problem for most children with autism. How long is the Nystatin needed? Are you concerned that when you stop the Nystatin that the yeast may come back as I have heard of this happening? Also, what do you think caused your child to have an overgrowth of yeast in his gut?

varen2

Postby varen2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:34 am

Josie wrote:
varen2@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for sharing your success. Yeast is a big problem for most children with autism. How long is the Nystatin needed? Are you concerned that when you stop the Nystatin that the yeast may come back as I have heard of this happening? Also, what do you think caused your child to have an overgrowth of yeast in his gut?

Dr Semon, the author of this diet says that all autistic children have yeast problem. I don't know what the triggering factor is, but he says Candida overgrowth in GI tract causes autism in children and some other conditions, such as learning disabilities, eczema, migraines in adults and many other health issues.

Therefore, Yeast in autistic children has to be treated first, and then other issues (if there are any) can be addressed. He says that Nystatin has to be taken for at least 6 months together with the diet, and after 6 months parents can experiment with other treatments, vitamins and probiotics. After 6 months, parents can try to low the dose to see if lower dose works as well. So the idea is to have yeast under control for as long as child's brain is developing. I see many posts from parents saying that yeast come back and they have to treat it again and again. The diet takes away any toxins and molds that can get to bloodstream from food due to leaky gut.

Nystatin can be taken for a long time as it has no side effects. Depending on the child, age and severity, it takes 6 months to get yeast under control and after 6 moths other foods can be slowly added to the diet. Nystatin has to be taken for at least 6 months, sometimes up to 1 year. Some children take Nystatin longer. Dr Semon's own autistic son was on Nystatin for 6 years.

However, the benefit of this treatment is that young children (before age 3) can recover completely from autism within a year or two on Nystatin and the diet only. Older children will probably need some other treatments in place after Nystatin and the diet treatment. They will improve significantly, but I don't know if a complete recovery is possible.

topaztopaz

Postby topaztopaz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:13 am

We just started piracetam two days ago. What is the longest it should take for it to trigger speaking?

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”