Has Chelation worked for your child?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Yes, total cure for autism
No votes
Yes, a major improvement
33%
Yes, minor improvement
17%
No, no change
42%
No, and regression occurred
8%

Total votes: 12

Mouse

Postby Mouse » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Has Chelation worked for your child? What can I expect as likely results? I've read a lot about DMSA and ALA and got much of my knowledge using this site which is why I decided to post here.

I just received results for my boys unprovoked urine test for heavy metals.
High in cadmium, tungsten, and tin (above the threshold).
He is high in lead but within the threshold.
He has almost no zinc which our neurologist recommended 25 mg per day.
Oddly zero mercury or aluminum which is less than normal healthy kids. (but that may be stuck in tissue and require chelation to test right? It may not be perfectly zero but low enough to where I can't read the percentile)

I've asked his doctor to order a provoked urine screen, he will have half a dmsa pill to equal 50 mg since the pharmacy only carried 100 in their smallest size in a gel cap. My boy can't swallow pills so we'll need to add it to his juice. He will take 50 mg of DMSA and 6 hours later he pees in a cup.

A little more about his symptoms. Artificial colors, flavors like vanillin, and especially polysorbate makes him regress. He will go from mild to moderate normally to moderate to severe with some ingredients found in low quality food. Polysorbate which is in every vaccine, lots of low quality food, and most over the counter cold medicine will give him shudder attacks which look a whole lot like seizures.

makingitpossible

Re: Has Chelation worked for your child?

Postby makingitpossible » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:50 pm

I voted minor improvement because Dmsa and ala did cause regression but IV caedta caused very good behavior improvements but not cognitive. All in all I'm glad we did it. Brought lead and cadmium down to normal range. Nothing we did ever showed mercury for us either including dmps test but we always got a little out.

andyseattle

Postby andyseattle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Chelation is just the first door to recover.
You still need a lot of doors to fill the gap.
Last edited by andyseattle on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santosg

Postby Santosg » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:08 am

Mouse wrote:I just received results for my boys unprovoked urine test for heavy metals.

Make sure that you have checked to see that there is not an active source of contamination. This is best done through blood testing. Your doctor should order it and it should be covered by insurance. Obviously, given his sensitivity to foods, you should (if you have not already) do an allergy panel.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

Santosg wrote:
Mouse wrote:I just received results for my boys unprovoked urine test for heavy metals.

Make sure that you have checked to see that there is not an active source of contamination. This is best done through blood testing. Your doctor should order it and it should be covered by insurance. Obviously, given his sensitivity to foods, you should (if you have not already) do an allergy panel.

Agreed, blood testing is important especially for lead (this may be high for up to 10% of all kids, not just ASD). For mercury, it should hopefully be negligible but also worth testing blood levels to rule out any recent exposure.

Also for urine challenge, consider 50mg DMPS rather than 50mg DMSA. That is what we did given better absorption (40% DMPS vs 20% DMSA) and fewer side effects (at that time, 25mg DMSA would trigger yeasty behaviors). We also continued with 25mg DMPS dosage every 8 hours after the challenge (we were already doing AC). Also need to collect all urine samples for six hours, not just one sample at the end.

Pirsig

Postby Pirsig » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Mouse wrote:Has Chelation worked for your child? What can I expect as likely results? I've read a lot about DMSA and ALA and got much of my knowledge using this site which is why I decided to post here.

I've asked his doctor to order a provoked urine screen, he will have half a dmsa pill to equal 50 mg since the pharmacy only carried 100 in their smallest size in a gel cap. My boy can't swallow pills so we'll need to add it to his juice. He will take 50 mg of DMSA and 6 hours later he pees in a cup.

I did not vote in your poll since I am only on round 10 of the low, frequent dose Andy Cutler protocol. However, I can say that the initial results are very encouraging. Andy says you need about 5 weeks to judge if his protocol is working if your kid is under 6 years (10 weeks if over that age). But, we started seeing noticeable changes with the 2nd round itself - calmer, more expressive language, improvement in fine motor skills, increase in appetite, could cut down her digestive enzymes dose by half after the 5th round etc.

Just as an FYI - Cutler thinks the high dose challenge tests are of no diagnostic value for mercury poisoned individuals and can be very dangerous in some cases (eg. IV DMPS challenge). This website tells you almost everything you need to know about his thoughts on chelation - http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/Andy_dose_sched.html

According to Cutler - Dr. Amy Holmes started using his protocol with a lot of success in ASD kids including her own son in 2000. DAN changed this protocol in 2005 because they had a lot of parents complaining about getting up multiple times in the night. So, there were variations developed on his protocol that are not safe and some of them could possibly lead to serious neurological damage.

Can some of the more experienced posters here comment on this? Why did DAN and some other doctors change Cutler's original protocol that worked very well with minimal side effects? Why do some of them try IV chelation protocols when Cutler has repeatedly said these are not effective and sometimes dangerous? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts on this.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:10 pm

Pirsig wrote:According to Cutler - Dr. Amy Holmes started using his protocol with a lot of success in ASD kids including her own son in 2000. DAN changed this protocol in 2005 because they had a lot of parents complaining about getting up multiple times in the night. So, there were variations developed on his protocol that are not safe and some of them could possibly lead to serious neurological damage.

Can some of the more experienced posters here comment on this? Why did DAN and some other doctors change Cutler's original protocol that worked very well with minimal side effects? Why do some of them try IV chelation protocols when Cutler has repeatedly said these are not effective and sometimes dangerous? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts on this.

Having followed autism treatment issues for around 17 years now (my son is now a young adult), I'll give it a go. This one is easy.

Nothing new here -- this is just another example of Cutler's arrogant, deluded BS that his followers are too intimidated to even question. No one "changed" his protocol and Holmes did not use his protocol with her own son (or others that I recall in her unfinished project). Cutler has long used the ridiculous accusation (among others) that parents are too lazy to get up during the night in order to "recover" their children (especially if said parents are questioning his "word").

Cutler is a chemist -- his background is not in medicine or human physiology. He didn't have anything to do with the development of treatment ideas at the original 1995 DAN meeting/conference. He is certainly not knowledgeable about autism (and if he is treating children with autism, which I doubt, he would likely be practicing medicine without a license).

His deluded claims are apparently gleaned entirely from anonymous testimonials (even fraudulent testimonials -- his flagship poster for years and years -- Rebecca Cochran aka Rebecca Claire -- aka DrMom on this forum -- was proven to be a fraud) on a few groups on the internet (basically where he exists and where he peddles his book). He does not have any data to support his claims regarding children with autism, nor has he done any research in order to support his claims. He doesn't even use anyone else's research to support his claims -- he considers his proclamations sufficient.

Ask him to support his claims. Ask him for some data. Question any of his yarns (like the DAN/Holmes one above). You can ask on the Fight Autism and Win group, the Frequent Dose group, and the Autism-Mercury group.

And then get back to us with the reaction/his response.

Really, just ask and question. I dare you. ;)
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Dr. Holmes used what is now the DAN protocol for DMSA, not AC. However, she did consult with AC and also recommended ALA (which I don't believe made it to the final DAN consensus paper later on). Most DANs never did and still don't really follow AC protocol - most go with the DAN protocol which has DMSA dosages based on published studies (10mg/kg) for acute toxicity.

I do agree with AC that larger doses of chelators are NOT really needed for ASD given there is usually no acute / recent exposure for most (low blood levels). Of course, if blood levels are high for lead and mercury (as in the DMSA studies that used 10mg/kg dosage), the higher DMSA dosages make sense irrespective of half life of chelator. We used the therapeutic dose of 25mg and then 50mg DMPS for two different urine challenges and the amount of Lead, Cadmium, and Hg (the top three metals being excreted in urine for us) were not significantly different. Blood levels were low for us for Hg and Lead, so higher dosages never made sense. The urine challenge is only useful to see what is pulled out by chelators at any given time (which is good to know / monitor) - that's all.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:44 pm

In regard to the poll question (has chelation worked for your child?) and Amy Holmes:

I think that Holmes believed chelation was the ticket to recovery for her son, Mike, or at least from what I recall of her testimonial when he was 5 or 6 or so. Parents generally thought of her testimony as a “recovery.” It was promoted as such (still is):
"her own autistic son who was non-verbal at four years of age is totally off the spectrum and normal in most ways after two years of chelation."
http://www.healing-arts.org/children/amyholmes.htm

After being in the autism treatment business for several years, she (rather suddenly) retired, and then you just didn’t hear anything about her or the progress of her son.

The popular explanation for the lack of follow-up on children from practitioners and parents who make “recovery” claims is that these kids are busy living their autism-free normal lives. I don’t necessarily agree -- at least it seems that there is almost always more to the story.

Years later, when Mike was a teen (he would be an adult by now), I was surprised to read that Holmes had moved on to touting Soma Mukhopadhyay’s Rapid Prompting Method as the most amazing thing she has ever seen, especially since RPM is aimed at teaching more severely-affected children with autism a method to communicate. This is what Holmes had to say about her son in the article:
Such as in the case of Amy Holmes' son, Mike, a 13-year-old who'd memorized a few words and a few short sentences ("May I have some Coke, please?") before he met Soma. Thirteen months later, he communicates with a letter board, has been mainstreamed into a regular seventh-grade class at Canyon Ridge Middle School in the Leander school district, has just finished his school's science fair and is moving on to the regionals.

"We didn't even think the kid had a brain," says Holmes, a retired medical doctor. "When he was tested in Louisiana, they said he had an IQ below 70. Obviously, he has an IQ much above average. It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen."
Link to article posted on this forum (2008 original link to Statesman no longer functions):
http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14670

Doesn’t sound like he was previously “recovered” -- or "normal" in most ways. He was still functionally nonverbal and considered cognitively impaired as a teenager prior to Soma's treatment (as per Holmes in her rather offensive comment). Seems like the original claims surrounding chelation and Holmes’ son were premature and greatly exaggerated, though these are the claims that influenced parents (still do) and were promoted by practitioners.

How often has anyone read any follow-up on Mike – years after he was used as a testimony to chelation? He would be at least 20 years old now.

Probably never. Until now perhaps.
Winnie

chinpunt

Postby chinpunt » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:44 am

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Winnie, you mentioned you have been in this board for a long time. Would you mind sharing with us what you think that really works, biomedical or not, any therapies?

As I am very early in this journey, I would truly appreciate some guidance from people like you.
Thanks in advance.

Pirsig

Postby Pirsig » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:21 am

kulkulkan wrote:Dr. Holmes used what is now the DAN protocol for DMSA, not AC. However, she did consult with AC and also recommended ALA (which I don't believe made it to the final DAN consensus paper later on).

Thanks for the informative reply. There are old posts from Dr. Holmes on yahoo groups where she said she used DMSA every 4 hours on her 4 year old son with miraculous results. I will try and find those posts. So, it seems like she started out using the AC protocol at the beginning. Not sure what changed in 2005 when DAN came up with their approach. Andy thinks they changed it because they had a lot of parents complaining about the inconvenience and they did not understand the concepts of half life of these chelators and the theoretical reasons for low, frequent dosing.

Most DANs never did and still don't really follow AC protocol - most go with the DAN protocol which has DMSA dosages based on published studies (10mg/kg) for acute toxicity.

I do not understand this at all. After 2 years of various biomed interventions, this has been one of the best interventions I have tried so far (alongwith MB12 and HBOT). So, we have an intervention that is very inexpensive and works very well (according to ARI treatment surveys) but most DAN's do not use AC protocol. Not sure if they think its very inconvenient, or if they do not know about this, or political reasons, or safety concerns?? It would be good to have an answer. My DAN doctor does use this protocol (and recommended it to me) on his patients that show evidence of heavy metal poisoning as diagnosed through various tests.

Pirsig

Postby Pirsig » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:42 am

Here is an old conversation from yahoo groups between Amy Holmes and Andy Cutler. Very informative. Its really interesting to read her thoughts on mainstream, regular pediatricians and how most of them do not care about kids on the spectrum. This has been my experience as well and if you read yahoo groups, thousands of parents with kids on the spectrum face the same ignorance and apathy in their pediatrician's office.

http://onibasu.com/archives/am/950.html

I don't know any mercury toxic adult who got better by depending on one doctor, mainstream or alternative. All the adults I know who got better went through a lot of doctors. They all found this extremely alienating and emotionally traumatic. I doubt it will be any different for those of you who end up getting your kids well - I suspect you will go through a lot of doctors and be pretty upset about MD's in general by the time you are done. As with the adults, I expect your choice is the emotional turmoil and alienation involved in running roughshod over a bunch of doc's to get what you want, or developing a long term relationship with one or two doc's who never do get your kid well. For the most part I don't think this is the doctors' fault. They are as much victims of the system as we are. Bouncing from doc to doc just seems to be the only thing that has a hope of working - I am sure it is as tough on the doctors as it is on us.

Andy Cutler
Andy,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking as a physician and a parent of an autistic son, I can tell you that it is not traumatic to the doctors at all - most of them go home to nice normal kids and never give our kids a second thought.
My son's pediatrician said," I now have 20 autistic kids in my practice and I don't know what to do with any of them." He was very perturbed when I had the audacity to ask him if he had ever thought
about WHY he had that many autistic kids in his practice when both of us learned in medical school that it was extremely rare and a pediatrician could finish 50 years of practice without seeing even
1 kid with autism. To be perfectly honest, the people in my med school class who went into pediatrics were not great thinkers. They were just nice guys who wanted to do something that didn't require a lot of thought. Your comment about parents figuring out the problem when physicians should have done it 20 or 30 years ago really struck home. You are completely correct on that one. I have learned the hard way that the only physicians who really care about our kids are the ones with kids just like them at home.
BTW, add me to the list of people who have used DMSA on my child with great results. My son, Mike, was very high in lead, aluminum, and antimony, but I suspected that the real culprit was mercury. He has been on DMSA chelation - 3 day "on"/ 11 day "off" for about a year. His clinical improvements have paralleled the drop in his urine lead and mercury levels. He has gone from an essentially non-verbal 4 year-old to a very talkative (very bossy, I might add!) 5 year-old. His GI problems have completely disappeared. He is no longer pale with dark circles under his eyes. His receptive language has
gone from the 5th percentile for age to the 45th percentile. I wonder if it is too late to get a urine porphyrin test?

Another question - considering that mercury irreversibly inhibits DPP IV, if I can get all the mercury out, dare I try re-introducing gluten and casein? It would be so nice if he could go to McDonald's
and get a Happy Meal like his friends do.

Just my thoughts,
Amy (formerly mainstream physician, now DAN! doctor)
Last edited by Pirsig on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pirsig

Postby Pirsig » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:55 am

Link to Andy's thoughts on why DAN changed his protocol. It would be nice to hear the story from the other side - that is from DAN doctors if any of them happen to post here.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Aut ... pics/52843

Parent: The DAN! protocol was developed to minimize risk of organ damage and maximize metal detoxification.

Andy's response:

The DAN! protocol was not developed with any concern for any of these
things. A few doc's started chelating people with DMSA and ALA on an
every 4 hour protocol and got good results. Then they showed up at
the DAN! think tank and everyone was really excited and decided to use
DMSA and ALA even though most of the doc's there had never used this
combination before. But the doc's who had used it and got these great
results had been having to spend a lot of time arguing with parents to
get them to get up in the middle of the night, so all the doc's there
decided that since none of them understood why it should make any
difference, that it must not, and every 8 hours would be fine. Of
course it isn't (See poll results in the polls section) but then it is
unreasonable to expect them to develop a rational protocol when very
few of them had been doing it with ALA and DMSA despite years of
experience in chelation, and none of them even knew why it made a
difference how often chelators are given.

In fact, most versions of the DAN! protocol as prescribed by DAN!
doctors are quite harmful to the child's brain and gastrointestinal
tract which is why they talk a lot about a healing crisis.
Last edited by Pirsig on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexsdad

Postby alexsdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:14 pm

I think chelation is an effective intervention only if there is real metal poisoning. DMSA is also an antioxidant so people can see minor immediate improvements from the first a few rounds but it should be distinguished (and distinguishable) from the improvements by removing toxic metals. If there is no toxic metal found on the urine/blood test I don't see any point of doing it. Especially AC chelation is hard on both children and parents.

It used to be a big chelation community here but I'm glad it has changed a bit. Chelation is just one of many interventions for autism.

Mouse

Postby Mouse » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:59 pm

alexsdad wrote:I think chelation is an effective intervention only if there is real metal poisoning.

May I ask what is real metal poisoning? WE have 3 metals in the yellow zone, and lead is high in the green zone. Our neurologist actually recommend we not look into chelating and that by adding zinc he should naturally chelate. (he was extremely low in zinc)

alexsdad

Postby alexsdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Mouse wrote:
alexsdad wrote:I think chelation is an effective intervention only if there is real metal poisoning.

May I ask what is real metal poisoning? WE have 3 metals in the yellow zone, and lead is high in the green zone. Our neurologist actually recommend we not look into chelating and that by adding zinc he should naturally chelate. (he was extremely low in zinc)

Mouse - BTW my comment wasn't specifically for your case. I was talking in general. If you have three in yellow zone in the unprovoked test, your son may be a candidate for light chelation but I would be surprised if they are the root cause of your son's problem. If the heavy metal intoxication was so bad as to cause autistic symptoms or other neurological problems, it would be far to the right in the red zone in the repeated tests. That's the real metal poisoning in my opinion. Some people say even tiny amount of metal is a problem for their children but I'm not sure if it is backed by science. Maybe over-chelating can cause another problem. I agree with your neurologist on adding zinc will probably help more. It actually sounds like very good advice from an experienced doctor.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Needless to say, whether chelating or adding zinc for metallothionein or using antioxidants to increase glutathione, an important thing to do is figure out source of ongoing exposure (say for lead from drinking water) and minimize it as much as possible. There was a long-term controlled DMSA trial in paediatric population with high lead blood levels showing that while DMSA chelation did reduce lead burden over six months (which is to be expected), but once chelation stopped lead levels returned back to normal and there was no long-term cognitive improvements. Of course, this study could also be interpreted as stopped chelation too early as well or didn't address the on-going exposure.

The question in my mind isn't whether to chelate (as I am comfortable with the side effects/downside), but really for how long and does therapeutic (i.e. AC) chelation just replace the monthly ongoing metals burden/exposure, or is it actually reducing oxidative stress in the long-term? I know it has been significantly reduced the copro porphyrins marker for us but would this marker go up if we stopped? Don't know but hopefully not.

If we had blood levels of Hg anywhere close to those reported in below recent study from Egypt (linking to anti-MBP autoantibodies, ASD Hg range was 3-32 mcg/dl whereas control was 1-6 mcg/dl), I would chelating a LOT more aggressively. Another reason to test blood levels, not just urine, hair and porphyrins.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33323

Mouse

Postby Mouse » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:05 pm

I've read that mercury may not show up on a urine or blood test unless provoked as it remains in the tissue, and autistics have a tougher time excreting metal from their system. What is the opinion of parents on this forum?

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Mouse wrote:

Of interest in regard to "real" metal poisoning (lab values indicating need/benefit of treatment), a National Institute of Mental Health clinical trial, studying chelation and children with autism, was cancelled after publication of a study showing that chelation in the absence of overt lead poisoning caused neurological damage in rats:

Succimer chelation improves learning, attention, and arousal regulation in lead-exposed rats but produces lasting cognitive impairment in the absence of lead exposure.

Diane E. Stangle,1 Donald R. Smith,2 Stephane A. Beaudin,3 Myla S. Strawderman,3 David A. Levitsky,1,3 and Barbara J. Strupp1,3

1Department of Psychology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA; 2Department of Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Santa Cruz, California, USA; 3Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA

In conclusion, this study demonstrates that it is possible for chelation therapy to alleviate certain types of Pb-induced behavioral/cognitive dysfunction in rats. This is an important demonstration because Pb-induced behavioral dysfunction is generally considered to be irreversible (e.g., Needleman et al. 1996). The present findings thus suggest that if a succimer treatment protocol that produced a substantial removal of Pb from the brain could be identified for humans, a functional
benefit might be derived. In addition, the finding that succimer produced lasting adverse effects when administered to non-
Pb–exposed rats highlights the potential risks of administering succimer or other metal chelating agents to children who do not have elevated tissue Pb levels. It is of significant concern that this type of therapy is being widely advocated as safe and effective for treating autism.

Link to full text of study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1831518/
Winnie

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Mouse wrote:I've read that mercury may not show up on a urine or blood test unless provoked as it remains in the tissue, and autistics have a tougher time excreting metal from their system. What is the opinion of parents on this forum?

The first part is true based on animal studies that I've read (unless exposure is recent or ongoing, so still need to test blood levels), and the second part is a reasonable interpretation based on studies such as below and likely true for subset of ASD:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017810/

Added: It is important to address zinc deficiency before chelation. We supplement trace minerals including zinc for six months before even starting chelation and important to do so if chelating as well (DMSA does chelate zinc). DMSA doesn't cross blood brain barrier in humans unlike rats. However, I agree that high dosages of DMSA (such as DAN protocol) doesn't make sense unless there is acute toxicity that can be measured in blood levels.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”