Aspie Healing with Nutritional Genomics

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

crzxn

Aspie Healing with Nutritional Genomics

Postby crzxn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi, just want to to introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I have aspergers and also many issues that people on the spectrum supper from; anxiety, OCD, depresison, gastrointestinal issues, skin issues, amoung other things. Since I was high functioning they only ever treated my anxiety and OCD, which were bad enough to have me hospitalized twice for and land me on disability. For years I had moderate success using supplements and diet which reduced many of those issues with help from antidepressants, anti-anxiety, and other psyco-pharm drugs.

For 10 years I studied food, biological psychology, and genetics trying to find some cluse to what was going on. My whole family has these issues so I knew, for me at least, it was highly genetically prevalant. I lived near a medical research college so I lived in the library.

At this point I want to say that this is all theory from me and I have held back, trying to be as certain as I can about this, before talking about it more. I also am not selling anything and have no interest in any comnpany nor making any money.

So, last year while I poking around this stuff again I ran into people getting their genetic profile through 23andme.com. I got my profile and it kicked off my investigation into Nutritional Genomics. When I saw my genetics everything seemed to click together; why some supplements worked and some did not, why some "healthy foods" made me feel worse. I saw my anxiety in my bad monoamine oxidase and COMT genes. I then started reading the research Dr. Steven Zeisel was doing in the Nutritional Genetics and I saw something interesting, the role that cofactors have on gene expression.

Since I was on the spectrum I also started investiogating the autistic side of it all. I had some friends with children with ASD and they provided me with their childrens genetic profile. I started to see a genetic pattern and also how diet can influence symptoms of people on the spectrum. After seeing this pattern I received a few more genetic profile from people on the internet and the same pattern was repeated again and again. My sample size is small, five ASD and ten neurotypical people, but it is remarkably consistant.

Basicsally I see four different issues that can be vary between ASD to provide us with the broad spectrum we see today; Amines, Sulfate, Lactate, and Fatty Acids. There is a possibility that glucose metabolims is involved as well but I am less certain about that. The severity of symtoms also corelates to weather the specific genes are hetero of homozygous. The genes I see rare polymorphisms in are

MAOA - Monoamine Oxidase A - metabolize amines, preferably serotonin, and are slower so there is more serotonin.
SUOX - Sulfate Oxidase - Turns sulfites into sulfate. I more severe ASD this is homozygous. Sulfates are used to trasport metals around the body.
FADS1, FADS2 - Fatty Acid Desaturase - These elongate dietary fatty acids will cause higher inflammation when eating a high omega 6 and low omega 3 diet.
MCM6 - This controls genes related to lactose and is found in people with lactose intolerance.

I want to make clear that I see these four gene polymorphisms in EVERY GENOME of children on the spectrum and not in those not on the spectrum. This includes me, but the SUOX SNP for me is heterozygous.

What this means and how I treated myself to get rid of ALL my complaints with no side effects I will explain in another post. I have no more anxiety, ocd and my bowels are perfect for the forst time in 25 years (I am 48).

Another parent has been working with me researching this and she has seen steady improvement of here two Autistic children. We are using both diet and specific supplemets that are cofactrs for the genes above.

Fow now I would like to ask if anyone here has there 23andme genetic profile who would like to see if we get consistant genome typing in ASD by looking at a few specific gene polymorphisms.

Thanks for your time!

CdB

Re: Aspie Healing with Nutritional Genomics

Postby CdB » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:38 am

Welcome, looking forward to your posts as your case is similar to ours.

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:10 pm

crzxn wrote: My whole family has these issues so I knew, for me at least, it was highly genetically prevalant.

big assumption
could also be that your whole family has been affected by the same issue such as toxins, pollution ....
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

ajaxdyn

Postby ajaxdyn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks for the post.

Are you just looking for SNPs at MAOA, SUOX, FADS1, FADS2, MCM6? or more?
It would be nice, if you can identify specific rsXXXX that you want us to post.

Ours:
MAO A (RS6323): +/+ (TT)
SUOX (RS705703: (CC)

FADS1, FADS2, MCM6 spans over multiple SNPs.

Thanks

crzxn

Postby crzxn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:36 pm

ajaxdyn wrote:Thanks for the post.

Are you just looking for SNPs at MAOA, SUOX, FADS1, FADS2, MCM6? or more?
It would be nice, if you can identify specific rsXXXX that you want us to post.

Ours:
MAO A (RS6323): +/+ (TT)
SUOX (RS705703: (CC)

FADS1, FADS2, MCM6 spans over multiple SNPs.

Thanks

Yes, I am just looking at certain SNPs in those genes. Also note that I am marking the Alleles in the way Promethease reports them so they might look different. I am marking the alleles below as they look in ASD.

MAOA
rs909525 AA
SUOX
rs10876864 GG
FADS1
rs174549 AA
rs174550 CC
rs174546 TT
rs174547 CC
rs174548 GG
rs174556 TT
FADS2
rs482548 TT
rs174575 GG
rs174570 TT
rs498793 AA
rs1535 GG
rs174576 AA
MCM6
rs4988235 CC
rs182549 CC

crzxn

Postby crzxn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:40 pm

williams_dad wrote:
crzxn wrote: My whole family has these issues so I knew, for me at least, it was highly genetically prevalant.

big assumption
could also be that your whole family has been affected by the same issue such as toxins, pollution ....

I agree but I think it stems from the my mothers side and her parents. They were from coal country and were exposed to arsenic and mercury from buring cola in the house as a heating and cooking fuel. The SUOX gene is one gene that can show polymorphisms when exposed to those metals.

It is environmental AND genetic.

sand9417

Postby sand9417 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:47 am

CRZXN,

I am very interested in learning more about the work you are doing and the treatment implications of your findings. Can you tell us a bit more about what you have uncovered and how you have effectively treated your symptoms? I have never done 23andme for my daughter, who is on the spectrum, but I would be able to contribute to your research if you are in need of additional genetic profiles.

crzxn

Postby crzxn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:21 pm

sand9417 wrote:CRZXN,

I am very interested in learning more about the work you are doing and the treatment implications of your findings. Can you tell us a bit more about what you have uncovered and how you have effectively treated your symptoms? I have never done 23andme for my daughter, who is on the spectrum, but I would be able to contribute to your research if you are in need of additional genetic profiles.

Sure. The following genes I am talking about are only the ones I think are associated with Autism.

Two things that helped me most were Molybdenum (for my Sulfite Oxidase Gene) and creating a better balance between my Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids (For my Fatty Acid Desaturase genes). This reduces my inflammation, depression and fatigue significantly.

The other thing I do is stay away from dairy. This I link to a gene called MCM6 which seems to make it difficult for us to deal with lactose.

Also my MAOA (Monoamine Oxidase A) Gene makes me slower at metabolizing serotonin so I focus on not eating high tryptophan containing foods. I also take riboflavin but I do not recommend this for most autistics.

The other factor that pops up with ASD is TNFa (Tumor Necrosis Factor A) and other TNF's. For this I take zinc because it has been shown to reduce TNF activity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18674741

Also, I gave a big middle finger to society to reduce my stress. :) I do not think autism is a disease, I think it is a trait and those of us with this trait have a difficult time with conventional life. When I stopped trying to fit it the stess was gone, and that lowers inflammation as well.

mysisalina

Postby mysisalina » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:09 pm

What this means and how I treated myself to get rid of ALL my complaints with no side effects I will explain in another post. I have no more anxiety, ocd and my bowels are perfect for the forst time in 25 years (I am 48).

I'd love to read about this, have you shared with the group yet?

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”