Breastmilk

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

makingitpossible

Breastmilk

Postby makingitpossible » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:10 am

Has anybody tried this? I recently had a baby and have been giving my daughter with autism like 2-3 ounces a day and she is pooping massive really well formed stools which is ironic because she is very lactose intolerant and usually little bits of raw milk give her diahrrea.
I'm thinking this is changing her gut flora quicker than anything else I've tried.

CdB

Re: Breastmilk

Postby CdB » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:55 am

There's many paintings through out the history where women are nursing sick old man to health. I remember on one of the lectures (painting was by Caravaggio) where presenter was talking how breast milk was consider a cure in the past.

Also, I remember seeing an add in Craigslist where a sufferer from CFS put an add that he was buying breast milk which help him with his condition and was paying top dollar.

When I think of it, it does make a sense. Breast milk contains the bacteria that is suppose to colonize the GI track. Most probiotics are streins of bacteria that is transitory as it they don't have the ability to stick to GI track. Also, breast milk contains prebiotics that are suppose to feed the good bacteria.

Please keep us posted, I'm curious to know how it's working.

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:30 am

The breastmilk is so powerful. We had to take a break because though there were positives she was also showing some meltdown behaviors which we haven't had in forever. So I'm taking a break and when I do it again I'll do an ounce and lots of activated charcoal a few hours later.
Funny thing though is baby is very happy! Never experienced that before.
But then again baby had zero interventions by medical system.

CdB

Postby CdB » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Bacteria that's was isolated from breast milk was found to be effective against H pylori.

Eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection by the probiotic strains Lactobacillus johnsonii MH-68 and L. salivarius ssp. salicinius AP-32.
Hsieh PS1, Tsai YC, Chen YC, Teh SF, Ou CM, King VA.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

The current therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection includes antimicrobial agents and proton pump inhibitors. We have examined the ability of Lactobacillus spp. to inhibit H. pylori infection.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:

Probiotic strains isolated from samples of adult feces, infant feces, breast milk, and vaginal swab collected from healthy volunteers in Taiwan and commercially available strains were screened for antagonism toward H. pylori. Inhibition liquid culture assay was used to screen potential anti-H. pylori activity. Then, we performed agar plate inhibition assay, and assays to determine the capacity of probiotics for adhesion, and inhibition and killing of H. pylori, and measured the levels of IL-8 and IL-10. Using animal models, we studied regulation of gastric acid and histopathological changes accompanying anti-H. pylori activity.
RESULTS:

We found that six of the tested strains suppressed urease activity of H. pylori: Lactobacillus acidophilus TYCA08, L. acidophilus TYCA15, L. johnsonii MH-68, and L. salivarius subsp. salicinius AP-32 were more effective than the others. In vivo, L. johnsonii MH-68 and L. salivarius subsp. salicinius AP-32 alone or in combination, reduced the H. pylori load in the gastric mucosa, and also reduced inflammatory chemokine expression and lymphocyte infiltration.
CONCLUSIONS:

Lactobacillus johnsonii MH-68 and L. salivarius subsp. salicinius AP-32 effectively suppress H. pylori viability, and when used as probiotics, they may help decrease the occurrence of gastritis, and even reduce the risk of H. pylori infection.

© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 pm

I think the breastmilk is far superior to any probiotic on the market.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:19 am

How is your daughter doing with breastmilk?

We've been giving my son 2 tablespoons of juice from fermented vegetables. Apparently fermented vegetables have naturally occurring probiotic. My son's speech and eye contact get so much better every day. This is definitely working well. He is also smiling more and he is more happy. Also, more social.

I'm considering relactation with a breast pump to try to give my son some breast milk. That would be a lot of work though. Still thinking if I should give it a try.

My son also has some meltdowns, I think he has them when he gets too much fermented juice.

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:58 pm

I have tried the breastmilk on and off for many months now. I stopped recently again. My daughter is VERY sensitive to even an ounce. I think it is just super powerful. I think it is doing some good but I have to give her breaks or the behaviors interfere with school progress. My daughter reacts to supplements very poorly and probiotics for the most part so I guess I am not that suprised.
When my daughter was 3 1/2 I tried to get a supply back. I started getting drops but got a HUGE blister and had to quit. It is possible but I would imagine very difficult. I would try to find someone in your area that can just donate like 16 ounces which is like nothing to them if they produce a lot. Then you can try an ounce a day for two weeks and see if it helps at all. Just a thought. If you want you can PM me and if you are not too far I can send you some. I don't check this often but I'll try to remember.

Ani'sMom

Postby Ani'sMom » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:32 am

My NT daughter was severely allergic to cows milk as a baby and our allergist suggested me to stay off the things she was allergic to. The reason he gave was that everything the mother eats gets passed on through the breast milk. I would consider that before giving the breast milk.

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:12 am

That is true but I have the exact same diet as my daughter so in our case it is something to do with gut flora or immunity factors. She has many gains with it but then with any gains come behaviors. Its a tricky balancing act.

zoymom

Postby zoymom » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:37 pm

I am also nursing a new baby and my toddler is ASD. I was looking for a delivery method for some Culturelle powder for my infant, so mixed it with breastmilk, had some of the mix left over (about a tablespoon) so gave it to my toddler, and I feel like he had a very positive reaction in terms of GI issues that day. It's hard to say given that I only tried it once, but I feel like it was helpful. I might try it again if I need to give the infant more probiotics anytime soon.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”