Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

varen2

Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Postby varen2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:49 am

My son has been on "Feast without Yeast" and SCD diet for 2 years with AMAZING results. We have some issues with starting a conversation and following a topic of conversation still, but otherwise, he is just a regular boy. My son is 4,5 years old right now.

Please keep reading this post...You might think that your child does not have issues with the Gut. When I saw some articles about "The Brain and The Gut" connection, I wouldn't believe it. I was convinced that my son has problems with his brain. I WAS WRONG! My son never had any issues with diarrhea, gas or bloating. However, the Diet was the best intervention for us.

After 6 months on a Diet and Nystatin, my son no longer qualified for ABA, speech or OT therapy...
Please keep reading...

My son had no speech at the age of 2. He was extremely repetitive. He no longer made eye contact, no longer seemed to hear me. He started having 5-10 tantrums per day and he would wake up every night screaming and head-banging on the floor. He had dark circles under his eyes, pale skin and a fear of separation with mother. He was lining up cars in a long line, later he was replacing toys from one box to another. He stopped saying "Hi" and "Buy". He stopped pointing at objects.

He is 4,5 years old now and he is almost free of any autistic symptoms. His speech is clear, he is not afraid to come to people and say "Hi" and talk to them. He has trouble following the topic of conversation or coming up with a phrase, but his imagination is so great. He makes up stories, he asks questions "Why..?" "What does this mean?" and so on. His eye contact is sometimes excellent, but sometimes still not so good. He follows my directions, he is curious about everything. Some days he is a bit repetitive (he is not completely free of yeast STILL). But most days he is a normal kid, he is progressing, learning, and just being a happy boy. Right now he is learning language just like a normal kid. He is repeating, rephrasing sentences, and asking questions. He has a great sense of humor, he understands emotions. His role play is amazing, he recreates stories from books with toys..

When my son started a GFDFSF diet, he was getting better. His eye contact got better and he was generally more with us. However, he had some bad days and some good days. Something was setting him off.

We tried multivitamins, probiotics and GFDFSF diet. It helped somehow, but didn't treat autistic symptoms.
With "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin, we had immediate and noticeable results.

Author of this diet, Dr. Bruce Semon has an autistic son. He treated his son and since then many other kids. He says that his diet and treatment worked for every autistic kid he's ever treated.

For parents considering a diet, "Feast without Yeast" diet is BETTER than GFCFSF or GAPS diet.
"Feast without Yeast" diet is great for kids with Yeast (Candida) overgrowth.

SCD diet is good for kids with Bacterial overgrowth in the gut.

I strongly advise to run 2 tests from the Great Plains Laboratory prior to choosing a diet:

1. OAT Urine test.
2. Stool test

My son's OAT Urine test showed high levels of "Arabinose", a by-product of Candida excreted in urine.
Stool test didn't show Candida, and in most cases stool test doesn't detect yeast. But it showed no lactobacteria in the gut, excessive Bifidobacteria and some other bad bacteria in his stool test.

Two parents contacted me saying their kids didn't have yeast overgrowth on test results. I saw one OAT test from a parent and the yeast marker was low.

Therefore, I suggest doing OAT test and Comprehensive Stool test prior to choosing a diet or introducing Nystatin.
If the marker called "arabinose" is elevated significantly on the OAT test, then it makes sense to try Nystatin.
Arabinose is the indicator of yeast on the test. It's a by-product of Candida in urine.

If your child has only bacterial overgrowth, I would advise to look into SCD diet. This is the best diet for bacterial overgrowth.

Nystatin is a powerful drug and once you start it, you shouldn't stop the treatment. If you stop the treatment for a few days, Yeast will grow back and might get even worse than before.

"Feast without Yeast" diet is not as difficult or strict as SCD diet. However, this is a long-term treatment. Most kids have to stay on this diet for a few years. It works so well for my son and I believe this will help other children as much as it helped my son.

A few notes on the diet:

1) "Feast without Yeast" diet works best in combination with Nystatin. Nystatin kills bad bacteria in the gut and lets the gut to heal over time.
1/3 of success is due to the diet and 2/3 of success is due to Nystatin.

2) All multivitamins and especially vitamin B have to be discontinued. They interract with Nystatin and it doesn't work if vitamins are taken during the treatment. Vitamin B6 and B12 are made from yeast (or made with the help of yeast), so you're pouring gasoline on the fire when you take high-dose Bs (like B6 or B12) orally.

3) You need to read the book "Feast without Yeast" to implement the diet. 

4) Probiotic cannot be taken with Nystatin. We just tried to introduce a "D-Lactate free" probiotic to my son and we had a major set back. It's best not to take probiotics when you start the diet. You can start experimenting with probiotics later, after 6 months being on the diet.

A few notes on Nystatin:

1) We got Nystatin prescription from our regular pediatrician. We showed him OAT Urine test results and the book "Feast without Yeast". He gave us the prescription and 3 refills without any problems. We came back for another prescription with my son and showed him the progress my son is making with Nystatin. He was surprised by his progress, and gave us a second prescription with 2 refills.
Nystatin is a very safe antifungal, it's sold without prescription in Germany.

2) You have to make sure your child gets a full dose of Nystatin every day. The drug tastes bad. You can mix Nystatin with some pure raw honey to mask the taste. I had to use a syringe to spray this drug to my son's mouth when we've just started. He takes it without any problems now. I also used to give him stickers every time he took Nystatin and he would forget about the "aftertaste" right away.

This is the only way to give Nystatin to your child. Giving it with water or with other vitamins won't work. Your child will probably refuse to take it as it's bitter.

The recommended Nystatin dose is 500 000 Units 4 times a day.
You need to start with a small dose (100 000 Units 4 times a day) and slowly increase the dose every 4-5 days.

500 000 units of Nystatin powder is approximately 80mg of powder. You will need to buy special sensitive weights (we got ours for $22 on Amazon, weights for jewellery). My son cannot tolerate a full dose of Nystatin. We have aggressive reaction to a full dose. I have to split it in half. My son takes 250 000 Units (or 40mg) seven times a day ( slightly less than a recommended daily dose).

Pure powder form is very strong. It has to be given with food.

Try to change your child diet according to this article by Dr. Bruce Semon:
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/bo ... sect2.html
(Please don't use Nystatin dose recommendations from this ebook. The recommended dose in this ebook is too high. It has to be 500 000 Units 4 times a day)

If you see positive changes on Stage 4 of "Feast without Yeast" diet, then go ahead and find the way to get prescription for Nystatin.

A few notes on my son's diet.
Right now he is feeling so much better, I can immediately see if some foods set him back.

Food.
My son is doing great with:
White rice, red lentils, red skin potatoes (no yellow skin potatoes,he reacts to them).
Cauliflower, cucumber, broccoli, avocado, kale, microgreen kale, any other green veggies.
Veal, wild Salmon in small doses every day.
Acorn squash.
Pure raw honey (not heated). He reacts to heated honey.

Salmon only wild caught. My son cannot eat farm-raised fish. It has some toxins or something else that makes him sick.

Snacks:
Snapeas Crisps lightly salted;
Seaweed;
Brown Rice crackers (nothing else added)

He is reacting badly to everything else including beans, yellow zucchini, sweet potato, yellow skin potato, some yellow vegetables, all fruit.

UPDATE 1,5 YEARS LATER ON THIS DIET.

Just a few words about this diet and our progress. My son is doing great, but we're now doing something between "Feast without Yeast" and SCD Diet.
I would strongly advice to read SCD diet as well, I think it's a great diet as well as "Feast without Yeast" minus dried fruit, mashrooms, and carrots..

After 1,5 yeasr, I disagree with some points of "Feast without Yeast" diet, in particular:

1) White rice should be limited to very small quantities (white rice flour for baking is ok), but it's best to avoid brown rice. Brown rice has more arsenic. Also, brown rice might not be tolerated by some kids. My son can't tolerate brown rice.

2) Rice from Thiland has less arsenic than rice from USA or other countries.

3) Rice is very starchy, it's best to use just a little bit every day. Too much rice will feed yeast.

4) Potatoes - use red potatoes only. They have less starch. It's best to steam potatoes for 10-15 minutes and let them cool completely under cover.
Cold potatoes seem to have less starch and it doesn't feed yeast as such. I use cold boiled potatoes mixed with chicken, avocado, cucumber, green salad leaves.

5) Acorn squash is our staple food. It has no sugar and my son can eat 1 acorn squash a day (boiled and mashed, or mixed with some rice and fried as pancakes). Acorn squash has to be dark green. Yellowish acorn squash has some sugar in it.

6) My son cannot eat carrots, spaghetti squash, butternut squash or sweet potatoes - they all have too much sugar. I would avoid them for now.

7) Fish not allowed on stage 4, but my son can eat WILD caught fish. Very bad aggressive reaction to farmed fish though.

9) Lentils and Beans might not be tolerated right away. If you see a reaction, don't introduce yet.
Frozen green peas boiled in large quantity of water for a long time (20 minutes at least) is well tolerated by my kid.

10) Eggs are not allowed on stage 4, but my son can eat egg yolks. I have to fry eggs and carefully remove the whites. You might want to try to reintroduce egg yolks later. He cannot eat store bought eggs. We're getting eggs from pasture=raised grass and veggie fed chickens from a local market.

Introduce Nystatin only when you're happy with the diet and the diet is working well. Nystatin will give die off effect and it will be difficult to see if it's a food intolerance or a die off reaction. Nystatin should be in a pure powder form only. Pills might not be strong enough.
Once you start Nystatin, you shouldn't stop it. Stopping Nystatin even for a few days might make yeast worse. Once you start taking Nystatin, make sure to renew prescriptions and get Nystatin in advance. We had difficulties obtaining Nystain powder from our sources here in the USA recently.
We're getting Nystatin by mail from Germany right now (no prescription needed in Europe, this drug is considered very safe). We have someone buying Nystatin in Germany and sending it to us by regular mail. We state "probiotic" on the declaration form and it gets through the US customs without any problems.

If you don't see positive results on this diet, you might want to consider SCD diet. I believe some kids might have bacterial overgrowth (bifidum bacterium in particular) rather than yeast overgrowth. SCD diet is better for bacterial overgrowth. SCD diet is much stricter, but after Feast without Yeast diet, your child will be less picky about foods and introducing a more strict diet will be possible.

GAPS is a very bad idea in my opinion. Bone broth is a source of glutamate, and all heavy metals are washed out from the bones to the broth. Plus fat from the meat and the bones is hard to digest. When my son was feeling better, I tried giving him chicken and veal broth made from grass-fed, grass-finished chicken/veal. He was SO MUCH WORSE. The reaction was much worse than from many other "mild" foods. Also, fermented vegetables used in GAPS if eaten in large quantities can feed yeast. My son could take 1/4 tsp of juice from fermented vegetables. That's it. More than 1/4 th of a teaspoon would feed yeast.

Our resent discovery is Raw Camel Milk. It helps clean liver, it fights bad bacteria in the gut. Please search this forum for Camel milk.
Pasteurized Goat Milk is also great. 3 oz three times a day. Goat milk is high in sugar so shouldn't be taken more than 3 oz at a time.
Don't give raw goat milk or raw goat milk yogurt. My son had upset stomach and diarrhea with raw goat milk.

Camel and goat milk have Beta protein as opposed to Alpha protein in cows milk. Alpha protein is a big problem for our kids. However, Beta protein is well tolerated by many people who cannot tolerate cow milk. Of course, childer with anaphylactic reaction to milk shouldn't try goat or camel milk.
My son cannot tolerate cow milk, but he does very well with goat milk.
If you consider raw camel milk, start slow with 1 tbs twice a day. It's very powerful and should be given in a small dose.

Goat colostrum powder - this has been amazing. Great speech, he feels much better much happier, better tolerance of foods.
Colostrum has Lactoferrin - a protein that has antibacterial qualities. It's also a building material for the intestinal wall. It helps a lot with a "leaky gut", that's why it's so great. Colostrum might not seem to work at first, but once the yeast dies off, lactoferring will be help rebuild the intestinal wall. I think this is the missing link I've been looking for.
Colostrum is very powerful. You need just a little bit of colostrum. 1/8 of a teaspoon mixed with goat/camel milk or water.
Higher dose might create irritability or too much die off.

Colostrum has the same effect as Carcinosin (homeopahty), but no side effects. It's been so great that we stopped giving him Carcinosin and Carcinosin was amazing for us. My son had great gains with this remedy.

So far probiotics and Vitamins B were really bad for us. I had my son in such a great shape, and both times we had huge regression with:
Vitamins B,
D-lactate free probiotic,
BioGaia probiotic.
I would advice to stay away from these probiotics and all Vitamin B supplements.
Other immuno stimulating supplements also seem to feed yeast.

You can take Vit D in olive oil and High Quality fish oil. Fish oil seem to interfere with Nystatin, but I think it's ok to take Fish oil for a few months on the introduction diet.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT UPDATE from 03/23/2017:

Two parents contacted me saying their kids don't have yeast overgrowth. I saw one OAT test from a parent and the yeast marker was low.

I suggest doing OAT test and Comprehensive Stool test prior to introducing Nystatin.
If the marker called "arabinose" is elevated significantly on the OAT test, then it makes sense to try Nystatin.
Arabinose is the indicator of yeast on the test. It's a by-product of Candida in urine.

If your child has only bacterial overgrowth, I would advise to look into SCD diet. It's the best diet for bacterial overgrowth.

Nystatin is a powerful drug and once you start it, you shouldn't stop the treatment. If you stop the treatment for a few days, Yeast will grow back and might get even worse than before.

I would try to use "The body ecology kefir starter" first fermented in Goat Milk. Coconut version of this kefir didn't work for us. This Kefir starter has beneficial yeasts that can naturally eradicate Candida. Start with 1 tsp of yogurt twice a day on an empty stomach. Increase the dose as needed trying to get to 4oz of yogurt twice or three times a day.

The treatment with Nystatin should be done over the course of a few years. Only try Nystatin if Kefir doesn't give positive results. In my experience, Nystatin kills some beneficial yeasts in the gut as well. Although it was the most important treatment for my son, looking back, I would try "the Body Ecology Kefir" first. My son still takes Nystatin every day (7 times a day to be precise). He cannot tolerate the full dose so I have to split each dose into two doses (so he gets 7 small doses of Nystatin daily).

We introduced Goat Colostrum from Mt Capra a few months ago and it's been great for my son.
A huge boost we got was from colostrum (raw, camel). The Camel Dairy doesn't have any more right now so we can't buy any more. But we're getting a similar effect that lasts (he is just getting better) with powder goat colostrum (Mt. Capra brand). If you google colostrum, you will see that it heals leaky gut. I think when colonies of bad bacteria die, the intestinal walls are exposed. They have holes and they have to be restored with a layer of cells (the type of cells found in colostrum). Without this layer of cells, good bacteria cannot establish colonies and start growing. Restoring that layer is very important.

Your child might not be there yet (if he still has a lot of bad bacteria and no exposed walls), you might not see the same results right away. But colostrum is also good for all sorts of things. My son doesn't get colds, he has more energy, no running nose. I think colostrum helps get rid of bad strep bacteria as well.

Mt. Capra colostrum powder is a mix of dry colostrum granules and dry goat milk. I found that giving my son Colostrum powder has mixed results. You never know how much of colostrum granules was in that dose of goat milk powder. The colostrum itself is clear or white granules. I use a sieve to separate colostrum granules from goat milk powder. When I sift powder through a sieve, I only have colostrum granules left.

Then I use very sensitive weights to measure 10 mg of colostrum:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ESHDG ... 1PIBKZ0_ri

We've started with 10 mg of colostrum granules 2 months ago and now he takes 55 mg twice a day.
I give it twice a day on an empty stomach 30 minutes before food. I give colostrum with probiotic. We're using "L. Plantarum" probiotic from Custom Probiotics right now.

It's a huge boost for his speech. We stopped homeopathic remedies, such as Carcinosin, because it does the same thing as colostrum, and he can't take them at the same time.

Camel milk can also interfere with colostrum. If you give them together, you'll need to work out the appropriate dose. Too much will make your child cranky, too little won't have any effect.

Camel Milk was great for us for a few months. However, right now we see aggression with Camels Milk. We stopped giving Camels Milk on a daily basis and only give Camels Milk once every few days to cleanse liver. I suggest starting Camels Milk with the intro diet to cleanse liver, then stopping or reducing Camels Milk after a few months or when aggressive reaction to Camels milk is observed. After Camels Milk, you can switch to Goat Colostrum. Goat Colostrum, Camel Milk, as well as Carcinosin and Mercurious Corrosivus (homeopathic remedies) all have the same effect. Don't give them at the same time.

In my opinion, homeopathic remedy would be helpful only if your child has a serious allergy to Goat Milk and Camel Milk.
70% of autistic kids with reactions to cow milk and casein can tolerate Camel milk and Goat Milk. This is due to a different type of protein in Goat Milk and Camel Milk. My son cannot have cow milk, but he drinks Goat Milk daily. He can't have goat cheese or store bough goat yogurt (due to histamine intolerance).

If you can't give Goat Milk Colostrum, then consider homeopathy.

Good luck!
Last edited by varen2 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.

pingumamma

Re: Our success story with "Feast without Yeast" diet

Postby pingumamma » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks for this really useful info. I picked up a copy of the original 1999 book last week and have been reading up as yeast is a big problem here.
The link you provided for the updated publication really helps. We are only a few tweeks away from stage 3 here as we are already GF/DF/SF.
I do have one question that I don't know if you can help with. Are seeds allowable? I use a lot of Flax, pumpkin etc. He talks about nuts in the book but I guess seeds were not as mainstream in 1999.
Its useful to know that Nystan is available without prescription in Germany too.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:39 am

Hi!

I'm so glad you're trying this diet! This was the best intervention for my son so far. He doesn't even need ABA therapy any longer because he is learning and behaving just like a normal kid. I want to spread the word to other parents about this treatment because it seems to be effective for all autistic children (according to Dr Semon).

We've been experimenting with many foods, so I will be more than happy to help with any question you might have.

I've read all 3 books by Dr Semon and some info on his website. He says that nuts are highly contaminated with mold. He advices to remove nuts on stage 1 of the diet. However, his wife says that you can remove pumpkin seeds from a pumpkin and dry them at home to use immediately in cooking. You would need to wash them and spread them sparingly on a paper to dry. This way pumpkin seeds will be fresh, they won't be contaminated with mold.

I don't know if flaxseed is contaminated with mold. My guess is yes. Dr Semon says that all seeds are contaminated with mold due to drying and storing process.
My son had a very bad reaction to almond flour and coconut flour. He was ok with sorghum flour. Then we switched to rice flour only, but I'm planning to try giving him some sorghum flour soon to see if he can tolerate it.

Dr Semon says that Millet flour and Rye are very moldy.

Our latest discovery is that my son is reacting to chicken. Dr Semon says that all chickens are fed with cottonseed, soy and other grains that are very moldy. They store toxins from moldy grains in their fat. He advices to eat Veal only 2-3 times per week. I was wondering why my son was still repetitive sometimes. Once I switched to veal, his repetitiveness was gone (however, he was on nystatin and diet for almost 5 months now, so repetitiveness is one of the last symptoms we sometimes have).
My son loves chicken... I was buying free-range organic chicken and he was eating it every day. We took a 3 days break from chicken and he was so much better during these 3 days. When I gave him chicken again he got very repetitive. I used to cut out all the fat from chicken before giving it to him, but this time I just fried it with all the fat in it.

Veal doesn't have toxins because calfs drink cow's milk and don't eat grains. They don't have time to store toxins in their meat and therefore, they can be well tolerated by our children.

Another discovery about Nystatin.
We used to live in New York and were giving my son Nystatin tablets from a New Jersey manufacturer. The main ingredient in tablets was sugar. My son was doing great on these tablets. We just moved to Los Angeles and we got Nystatin from Teva manufacturer (Canada). The main ingredient is corn starch. My son got worse while taking these tablets with corn starch. We switched to powdered form from an online compounded pharmacy http://www.leesilsby.com/
They charged extra $100 for compounding powder to capsules.
Since then we found a compounding pharmacy in LA which doesn't charge any extra for the same powder form.
There are many manufacturers putting talk in Nystatin powder form. When ordering, you need to make sure they compound pure Nystatin.

The problem with Nystatin in Germany is that it's not a pure form. They mix it with different fillers.
As soon as we moved to LA, we've started looking for a pediatrician who would support our treatment plan with Nystatin. Nystatin is a very safe drug, it doesn't have any side effects. It doesn't get absorbed into blood stream.
Out of 4 doctors, 2 pediatricians agreed to continue with nystatin. We found a very good pediatrician here. If you need references, let me know. I can advice on our doctor in New York and two doctors in Los Angeles.

My son had some dye-off effect from Nystatin. He was tired, pale and always hungry. But right now he is so much better, energy is over the top.

I've adapted a recipe for rice muffins, rice pancakes, and rice cookies from here:
I'm adding some veggies to rice pancakes and muffins and serve them with raw honey.
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/206086/r ... %20results

Rice and Nystatin sometimes give my son constipation. You need to make sure there is no constipation and all the toxins from bad bacteria leave the body as soon as possible. Fennel helps with constipation. If my son gets constipated, I add some Fennel to his pancakes, or boil fennel with water and give him to drink water with fennel.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

pingumamma

Postby pingumamma » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:54 pm

I am pleased that your little one is doing so well on this diet plan and really appreciate your reply. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. Many thanks :) :)

starmum

Postby starmum » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:25 pm

thanks for sharing , so the lee silsby powder is pure?
if bitter my ds will refuse to take i read that there is liquid nystatin with sugar but is it pure?
do your pedritican accept international patients?

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:26 am

starmum wrote:thanks for sharing , so the lee silsby powder is pure?
if bitter my ds will refuse to take i read that there is liquid nystatin with sugar but is it pure?

Hi, the "Lee Silsby pharmacy" powder is pure. They compound Nystatin powder in a gelatin capsule. Capsule content is gelatin and water.

I think the capsule is pretty big to swallow for a 3,5 years old.
We found a local compounding pharmacy, they order pure Nystatin powder from here: https://www.medisca.com
We had a prescription for capsules, but they gave us powder...and I guess if you ask for a powder prescription from the doctor, your compounding pharmacy will give you pure powder (no capsule) at no extra charge for compounding.

We use this scale to measure each dose of powder: "American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale"

We mix powder with raw honey and some water. We use a syringe to give it to my son. It tastes disgusting. My husband had to hold my son while I was giving him Nystatin. But after approximately 3 months my son feels so much better and he knows that it makes him feel better ( he is only 2 years and 8 months old!). No more struggle, he just takes Nystatin without any problems. I always give him Nystatin with meal and plenty of water because it has a bad aftertaste.

Most Honey branded as "Raw" are heated to 84 F. We found raw honey (never heated) at Wholefoods, it's called "Really Raw Honey". My son tolerates this brand very well provided you don't heat honey and don't bake with this honey.

Pure Nystatin powder tastes slightly better. Pills taste very bitter and they're full of sugar and corn starch.
My son was doing great while taking crushed pills from "Heritage Pharmaceuticals Inc". I think they had sugar in it.
And he got much worse while taking pills with corn starch from Teva Manufacturer (Canada).

I would go with the powder form, spray Nystatin with a pediatric syringe to make sure your child gets every dose every day..and wait until your child starts taking it without a fight. Once your child gets used to a taste (and associate medicine with feeling better) you can switch to a spoon.

Right now, it's really easy to give it to my son, he doesn't even stop playing while taking Nystatin.

If you're planning to come to the USA, it's best to see Dr. Bruce Semon in Chicago. He is the author of "Feast without Yeast" Diet.
You can probably schedule an online consultation with him via Skype, but he will not be able to prescribe Nystatin over Skype. He has to see the patient in person to be able to prescribe Nystatin.

Please subscribe to this post. I will be posting some info on food (how to make it less starchy and less sugary..) and some other details about this diet soon.

My son has just developed an allergic reaction to rice and avocados :( He was eating them every day. Amanda NY (she is also on this board) also told me that her son has developed an allergic reaction to rice after 1 year on this diet..

Therefore, it is very important to rotate foods every 3 days (give one type of food once every 3 days). It's very hard with our picky eaters, but this is something to keep in mind. I think it's ok to give the same (favorite) food allowed on "Feast without Yeast" diet for the first few months. Then gradually start introducing other less favorite foods to the diet. My son loves potatoes. He's been eating potatoes for a while now ( I use organic RED SKIN potatoes - they have less starch).

As soon as my son got better, he's started eating better. He is now eating butternut squash, acorn squash, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, yam, lentil, split green peas, kale. On bad days, he starts refusing veggies. So, the better they feel, the better they eat. And even the pickiest eaters start eating veggies. Their sensory issues get better and they start eating mushy and boiled less tasty foods such as veggies.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:48 am

starmum wrote:thanks for sharing , so the lee silsby powder is pure?

Also, I've seen in one of your posts something about your child waking up at night with a silly laugh and being very active. This is the most common symptom of yeast overgrowth. My son used to get a silly laugh and used to run in circles. He would also have a "drunken sailor" walk and "drunken eyes" - these are the most common symptoms of yeast overgrowth in GI tract.

"Feast without Yeast" Diet helps eliminate foods full of neurotoxins and mold, as well as yeast.
For example, almond flour, coconut flour, and other grains and nuts are full of mold. When heated, boiled or baked, mold releases aflatoxins and mycotoxins.

My son couldn't tolerate any almond or coconut flour. If he has food he can't tolerate, he gets cranky, cries, his speech gets worse, he stops following my directions. If his reaction is really bad, he wakes up at nigh crying and hitting his head against the floor.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:59 am

Hi,

I tried to give my son flaxseed and he had a bad reaction.

He is doing great with acron squash (backed, boiled, mashed).
I tried to dry acorn squash seeds and he is ok with them. they taste just like pumpkin seeds.
It's time consuming to dry and clean them though...

Also, I wanted to share our conversation with Dr Semon Bruce. We've contacted the doctor to ask his opinion on our son's progress. My son is steadily getting better but sometimes he still gets worse and then better.

Dr Semon suggested to low the Nystatin dose and stop taking ANY supplements.

We stopped giving my son all the supplements including Calcium and Fish oil. He got much much better in three days.

We were also giving too much Nystatin to my son. He had anger issues 30-40 minutes after taking Nystatin.

The recommended dose is 500 000 Units 4-6 times a day.
The doctor told us to drop the dose to 500 000 Units 4 times a day, but we're still giving my son Nystatin 5 times a day.

So, we're still trying to figure out the correct dose. I think we'll get to 500 000 Units of Nystatin powder 4 times a day at some point.

BEWARE! 1/8 tsp of Nystatin powder doesn't always equal 500 000 Units of Nystatin. If Nystatin is old, it's not "fluffy" and you have to have scales to weight Nystatin. Using 1/8 tsp to measure Nystatin as recommended by Dr Bruce is a bad idea because it will be a much higher dose.

Pure powder form is very strong. It has to be given with food.

Tablet form is not as strong and has many fillers. It's also bitter.
Our son actually got slightly worse while taking Nystatin tablets with corn starch. He was better while taking Nystatin tablets with sugar filler.

Our compounding pharmacy is getting Nystatin pure powder from this company:

https://www.medisca.com/

The doctor also recommended homeopathic remedy that helps prevent yeast regrowth. He had great success with this homeopathic remedy treating other autistic kids. We haven't tried it yet, but please email me if you would like to know the names of these remedies.

I will post an update on homeopathic remedies once we try them.

Kate
Last edited by varen2 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

swissyland

Postby swissyland » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:18 am

Hi Kate

How is your son doing now? I would be interested in the homeopathic remedies that you are trying. We are already doing CEASE clears now.
Our diet is already in line with the FWY guidelines so this would be easy for us to implement. I have already ordered compounded nystatin so look forward to starting. I feel that my daughters main issue may be coming from yeast because her main hurdle is focus and being present.

deviswolowitz

Postby deviswolowitz » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:23 am

1. Drink Water, Especially Before Meals
2. Eat Eggs For Breakfast
3. Drink Coffee (Preferably Black)
4. Drink Green Tea
5. Cook With Coconut Oil
6. Take a Glucomannan Supplement
7. Cut Back on Added Sugar
8. Eat Less Refined Carbs
9. Go on a Low Carb Diet
10. Exercise Portion Control or Count Calories
11. Do Aerobic Exercise
12. Eat More Vegetables and Fruits
13. Get Good Sleep
14. Don’t Drink Calories, Including Sugary Soda and Fruit Juices

varen2

Postby varen2 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:17 am

swissyland wrote:Hi Kate

How is your son doing now? I would be interested in the homeopathic remedies that you are trying. We are already doing CEASE clears now.
Our diet is already in line with the FWY guidelines so this would be easy for us to implement. I have already ordered compounded nystatin so look forward to starting. I feel that my daughters main issue may be coming from yeast because her main hurdle is focus and being present.

Hi! Sorry for a slow reply. He is doing great, fully potty trained at 3 years and 2 months of age. He is trying to play with other kids now which is cute and funny. He doesn't quite get it and I have to teach him to say a few phrases to other kids when he wants to play with them. We're starting a new regular preschool. Can't comment on that yet, it's been 1 day only at his new school. But I didn't notice any significant difference between him and other regular kids.

We are having some difficulties taking pure Nystatin. I think some kids can take 1/8 Tsp of Nystatin 4 times a day without any problems, but my son is very sensitive to Nystatin. He gets very angry if he takes 1/8 of a tsp.

So I'm giving him 1/16 Tsp of Nystatin 6 times a day which is not a full dose.

Homeopathic remedies are working great. He is more social and he is digesting foods much better. But the homeopathic route is a long topic, I will have to write about it later.

I'm not sure about CEASE...our homeopathic doctor is a classical homeopath. I think CEASE treats symptoms and our homeopath uses a general approach giving my son remedies that suppose to re-activate his immune system and make his body heal itself.

For example, my son had a bad reaction to MMR vaccine. So we tried to give him MMR homeopathic remedy and it didn't work. It did more harm than good. Our homeopath told me that MMR remedy doesn't work for this case.

In case of bad reaction to Tdap vaccine, he said he would use a Tdap homeopathic remedy.

Right now we're using Carcinocin and Gaertner remedies, very small doses diluted in water. I have to say, you shouldn't use these remedies without a proper supervision. They are so powerful, the incorrect dose can give very bad results with fevers, aggression and general regression of autistic symptoms.

So, these remedies were chosen for my son based on his symptoms, it might be different or might not work for another child. Just a word of warning - my son had a 102 F fever for 3 days after taking these remedies. It's a good sign, this is what our homeopath was looking for. Then after 3 days of fever, my son was better and worse, with some episodes of aggression. But overall, he is getting much much better with these two remedies.
Sometimes fever can get so high and reach 104 F or higher. or even make a child unconscious. In this case, fever has to be controlled and body temperature measured all the time. We had to measure my son's temperature every 5 minutes during peaks and we were giving him Belladonna to keep the fever down. We were up all night once because of his fever. Our homeopath instructed us to give our son Ibuprofen if Belladonna stops working and fever gets to 104 F. If Ibuprofen didn't help with fever, he said we would need to call an ambulance, just in case.

For us, Belladonna worked well. It helped a lot to keep his fever down. Our homeopath said that in 20 years of his practice, he had 4 cases when kids fever got to 104 F and it was so fast, it was hard to keep the fever low. But nothing serious happened with these kids. They were fine.

Our homeopath is awesome, I highly recommend him. He uses Skype for patients, you don't need to come to his office for treatment.
He is a bit expensive, fisrt consultation is $665, and follow up is $225. However, it's worth every penny. We're not doing anything else, not even supplements, so I think this is not very expensive for the results we're getting.

Our homeopath:
John Melnychuk, R.S. Hom. (N.A.), CCH
Homeopathic Consultant
3707 Lindero Drive
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Telephone (650) 213-8380

www.paloaltohomeopathy.com

When you start Nystatin, you will need to start with a small dose and gradually increase it every 3 days. If you start a full dose, you will get a very bad die off effect. To avoid it, start slow and increase the dose to a full dose during 3-4 weeks. Once you start Nystatin, you cannot stop giving it to your child. If you stop for a few days or so, the yeast will come back and it might even get worse. You'll need to kae Nystatin for at least 1 year or even longer.

One of the reasons we're trying homeopathy is that we want to stop taking Nystatin at some point in the future. I think homeopathy should help heal the gut faster.

I will write more on the homeopathic remedies we're using tomorrow.

swissyland

Postby swissyland » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:48 am

Thank you for your detailed response. We have used the MMR, Carcinogen and Gartner remedies. No reactions for us :? which our homeopath said means that the immune system is working well. I started the nystatin and am taking it very slow. It is pure nystatin mixed with a sugar suspension. It sounds a little scary that if we stop this, that the yeast may come back even worse. I'll keep going for now and see if there are improvements. Am definitely seeing die off and wondering how long this is going to take. Eye contact seems better though.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:46 am

Hello! I am new to this site and to autism as my twin boys were diagnosed last October. We started GF/CF right away and since then have eliminated more things like soy, corn, sugar and all preservatives and additives and buy mostly organic. Just found out about Feast without yeast through this site and am thinking of trying this. As one of the boys has thrush and the other scalp fungus) We were already are in stage 3 when I read this except I am giving them 1/4 cup Tropicana orange juice (with pulp) at each meal as I mix their digestive enzyme in it. My question is if juice NOT from concentrate is allowed on stage two or any stage for that matter. Thanks! Oh and also using coconut oil at each meal. Not sure if this oil is allowed on this diet but wanted to use for yeast and the great benefits for the brain.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:03 am

I read the book and certainly found it interesting. I suspect my health problems are connected to fungal overgrowth.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:48 pm

swissyland wrote:Thank you for your detailed response. We have used the MMR, Carcinogen and Gartner remedies. No reactions for us :? which our homeopath said means that the immune system is working well. I started the nystatin and am taking it very slow. It is pure nystatin mixed with a sugar suspension. It sounds a little scary that if we stop this, that the yeast may come back even worse. I'll keep going for now and see if there are improvements. Am definitely seeing die off and wondering how long this is going to take. Eye contact seems better though.

Hi,

I think Nystatin should be pure to get the best from it. My son can't have any sugar, but row unheated honey is fine. We use honey instead of sugar for everything. I'm mixing powder nystatin with row honey and it tastes ok.

Die off can last for a few weeks. And if you raise the dose, you will see die off again. My son pees a lot during die off. He is also aggressive, cranky and emotional. His eye contact gets worse right after nystatin and then it gets better.

We had some problems with nystatin - got it from a local pharmacy and it wasn't potent. When nystatin is old, it doesn't work as well as it should. My son got worse during a few weeks. Now we're taking more potent nystatin and he is going through a die off again.

We found something than helps with anger and aggression during die off. It also helps with digestion.

Fermented cucumbers or cabbage (freshly made, no vinegar). 3-4 drops of juice from fermented vegetables once or twice a day.

Fermented food is a natural source of probiotic.

We gave 1/2 tsp first time, and it was great. His eye contact and his mood got better right away. We tried 1 tsp of juice from fermented vegetables, but it was too much. Fermented food feeds yeast and can promote anger if you give too much. But giving a few drops helps restore good bacteria. And just a few drops of fermented juice helps him fully digest food (his stool is fully digested).

Now we give a few drops only, for some reason more than a few drops give him anger. Also, it's better to give 1-2 hours after taking nystatin. Not together.

His eye contact and moods gets much better right away.

Fermented veggies have to be freshly made.im still not sure why fermented food that's been in the fridge for two weeks gave him aggression and bad reaction. It could be because it's too potent. Or because bacteria is not alive.

We're going to try coconut kefir and goats yogurt in 1/8 tsp dose for my son to see if it would have a similar effect on him.

Basically I think we know what's going on now in his gut. Killing yeast is not enough and it grows back if you stop nystatin. You need to kill yeast and repopulate the gut with good bacteria at the same time. It's a long process because yeast will feed on good bacteria as well. Therefore, you need to give a little bit of natural probiotic (fermented vegetable juice) while killing yeast with nystatin and that's how you'll restore the gut bacteria while suppressing yeast.

Breast milk would be even better but it's too late for us. Maybe for someone else it would be an option.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:47 pm

I have been taking homemade beet kvass for some six weeks. I use a fido jar to ferment veggies.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:01 am

Sheri wrote:Hello! I am new to this site and to autism as my twin boys were diagnosed last October. We started GF/CF right away and since then have eliminated more things like soy, corn, sugar and all preservatives and additives and buy mostly organic. Just found out about Feast without yeast through this site and am thinking of trying this. As one of the boys has thrush and the other scalp fungus) We were already are in stage 3 when I read this except I am giving them 1/4 cup Tropicana orange juice (with pulp) at each meal as I mix their digestive enzyme in it. My question is if juice NOT from concentrate is allowed on stage two or any stage for that matter. Thanks! Oh and also using coconut oil at each meal. Not sure if this oil is allowed on this diet but wanted to use for yeast and the great benefits for the brain.

Hi! Sorry for a slow reply. Tropicana juice should be eliminated on stage 2 or 3. Dr Bruce says that for autistic children you will need to be on stage 4 diet.

Tropicana juice has a lot of natural sugar and the main reason for avoiding all fruit is avoiding sugars (except for berries and kiwi which is low-sugar). My son doesn't eat any fruit.

You can try lemonade - freshly squeezed lemon juice mixed with water and lots of raw unheated honey. My son eats a lot of raw honey every day. When unheated, it has some protection against yeast - it doesn't feed yeast.

Make sure the honey is not clear (not transparent) - it has to be thick and raw, it has to say on the pack that it was not heated. Most honey is heated to 104F during processing. I think my son is ok with honey that's been heated to 104F, but I prefer completely raw unheated honey, just in case.

If your boys don't like lemonade, you can start adding 1 tsp of lemon juice and honey to their juice every day. Gradually increase the amount of lemon juice and honey in their juice until they get used to the taste. you can then replace juice with lemonade.

I don't know if enzymes are allowed on the diet. We never gave my son enzymes. We're experimenting with fermented food right now (see my previous comment in this post) I guess fermented food has similar to enzymes effect on my son. He is digesting foods really well.

One concern with enzymes is that it will probably interfere with Nystatin making it less effective.

Coconut oil - never tried it, but my son had a bad reaction to coconut flour.

I would replace coconut oil with safflower oil for now and once they feel better, I would reintroduce to see if there is any reaction. If you won't see any negative reaction to coconut oil, then I guess it's ok.

You might not see if there is any negative reaction right now because they're not on stage 4 of the diet yet. They might be reacting to lots of other foods they're eating.

Diet is great,but the biggest gains will come with Nystatin. 1/3 of success is the diet and 2/3 is Nystatin. If you see good results with the diet, you'll need to find a good pediatrician who would be willing to try prescription Nystatin powder to get even better results.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:23 am

jaumeb wrote:I have been taking homemade beet kvass for some six weeks. I use a fido jar to ferment veggies.

Great! I'd love to know if it works for you.

Both, my husband and I are on the diet (stage 2 or 3) and we're both taking Nystatin - apparently we both have big issues with yeast. Too much of fermented veggies made me very tired, my husband got his headaches back. We had to cut back on fermented vegetables -1 tbsp 1-2 times a day) and we feel much better. I think the quantity is important. Too much fermented stuff will feed yeast.

You need ferments to reintroduce good bacteria in the gut - looks like 1 tbsp a day is enough for us.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:17 am

I am not following the FWY diet. I just use it as a general reference. I want to experiment with Weston A. Price ideas.

For me, beet kvass seems to be milder than sauerkraut. I will try sauerkraut again in the upcoming weeks.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 am

jaumeb wrote:I am not following the FWY diet. I just use it as a general reference. I want to experiment with Weston A. Price ideas.

For me, beet kvass seems to be milder than sauerkraut. I will try sauerkraut again in the upcoming weeks.

We're going to make coconut kefir this week. Will post on the results here. We're fermenting cucumbers. Sauerkraut was too strong, my husband got a headache and I was really tired. I agree it's too strong. On the other hand I think it has more strains of different bacteria, you just need to take less I guess. My husband was eating 2-3 tbsp with each meal.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”