memory issues

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

amndzon

memory issues

Postby amndzon » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:05 pm

I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion of what could help my daughter. She just turned 9 years old and is going into 4th grade. She's had an increasingly hard time with math. She understands the concept and is good with the analytical portions of math problems, and excels in geometry, logic, and probabilities. However, she just can not memorize math facts. She is still counting on her fingers for addition and substraction and can't memorize her multiplication or division facts. We've tried all sorts of different strategies and have her in tutoring over the summer. Her tutor, a former school teacher of hers, agrees it is specifically a memory issue, not a problem with her skills. We've tried on-line math games, watching School House Rock over and over (this was the only way she could memorize her 3's, but the other numbers didn't take), she has a Child Guidance Multiplier, etc. but nothing is working. Her memory (particularly short term) is an issue in many other situations and aspects as well, but in school it is really becoming an pronounced problem and she nearly had to go to summer school. She has come such a long way, I just want her to continue to catch up to her peers.

She sees her DAN! in two weeks, so I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion on something we could talk to him about or try on our own. She's an overmethylator if that any help, with hypoglycemia and is hyperthyroid.

Thanks in advance!

andyseattle

Re: memory issues

Postby andyseattle » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:34 pm

May be, you could take a look for

Phosphatidyl serine (IsoPhos)
Phosphatidyl choline(Phoschol)
Liposome B complex (Nutrasal)

Alpha GPC is very good and very very strong.
Please start with a little amount.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:24 am

This sounds a lot like the daughter of a friend of mine – she is about the same age – she doesn’t have autism but has a sib with autism. This child also has considerable difficulty recalling simple math facts fluently, but can work more difficult problems accurately (oddly enough, mentally w/o pencil and paper) when allowed enough time (which is sometimes a very long time). She is able to memorize other material such as lines in a play or songs, though this ongoing struggle with recall seems to be affecting other areas and is more noticeable now that the academic material is increasing in volume and pace.

Anyway, this child was recently evaluated extensively by a psychologist (private -- not school educational psych), and diagnosed with Processing Speed Deficit/Disorder (not the same as ADHD or a Specific Learning Disability, and different than but possibly related to working memory for some children).

The psychologist felt that this was affecting not only her math performance but also performance in other areas – like reading comprehension and writing. The child is bright and made some remarkable progress in math with intensive specialized instruction -- she understands the concepts but speed and fluency of recall are killing her performance on timed tasks.

You can google the term for more to see if this sounds like your daughter – here is one link:

Processing speed relates to an individual’s ability to perform simple repetitive cognitive tasks quickly and automatically.[1] Issues with processing speed only become evident once a person knows how to perform a task, rather than during the initial learning phase.[2] This is because poor processing speed relates to a reduced ability to automatically or fluently perform learnt tasks.
http://www.psych4schools.com.au/excerpt/processingspeed

The psychologist recommended some accommodations, and also indicated that this diagnosis (though I didn’t check to see if it is in the DSM V) should be sufficient to secure testing accommodations for timed tests. I don’t remember all the recommendations (I can ask if you like), but I recall she said that anxiety exacerbates problems with processing speed (the child also has anxiety).

For practice on math facts, the psychologist also recommended some computer-based games, based on the child’s preferences. My thoughts on that – thinking of breaking down skills into parts that are more easily learned – is that many computer programs randomly present math facts, and this may cause these to be more difficult to cognitively organize and learn by rote. Sounds like you have already considered all this -- but it seems to me that organizing these into groups (like 1s for multiplication), and learning these to fluency/mastery before progressing to the next group, might be a more efficient and less frustrating way to teach. And if applying a jingle (as in the Schoolhouse Rock vids) helped, you might consider setting to music or using other mnemonic device to utilize another cognitive area (you may have done so already).

It is also possible that the hypoglycemia and thyroid condition affect her processing speed in some way -- hope you find some answers.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:03 pm

thanks for the responses. I had tried choline on her previously and it didn't help as well as serline. We even tried Vayarin and that was a disaster. Right now she has been taking David Winston's Clarity Compound for months but it hasn't help her memory or focus. We keep her on it due to another surprising side effect as it has nearly eliminated her asthma. She went from at least one attack or more a day to only two or three a month. There is nothing within it that should have caused that benefit that I know of, but the school nurse suggested it may have helped her with some inflammation. But getting off topic. I am going to look into the Alpha GPC, I haven't heard of it.

I did add in Bacopa for the last four days and this has only led to severe tantrums and irritability. I am surprised as Bacopa is the main ingredient in Clarity Compound and she has never reacted like she has to the straight tablet form.

Winnie, thank you for your suggestion. I am going to definitely look into the Processing Speed Deficit/Disorder. She also had been diagnosed at Sensory Processing disorder along with everything else, so maybe this is all related. She does poorly on her timed tests in math. Her tutor is trying her best this summer, but is not giving up. She had my daughter in first grade so she knows her well. She told me that she knows that she is bright, but there is something really off with her memory and is trying to find some way to help her.

Thanks again.

andyseattle

Postby andyseattle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:46 am

May be, you could consider for MSC stem cell too.
This one helps a lot for my son's memory and behavior issue.

The effect isn't last long.
It's a long plan treatment.
From my experience, it's better done 2 rounds / a year
In my country, Each round , it costs around USD 20,000.

For me, it's worth to do it.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Piracetam is the King of Memory! Many students take it before exams to retain facts and pass the exams. My son recited whole books when he was on it.
I would put hard-chamber HBOT second. It is very expensive, but worth trying.

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:12 pm

I have a child who was similar to this. You might consider that your child is extremely right-brain dominant. This type of child simply needs different learning techniques than left-brain counterparts.

This is the specific issue that the Brain Balance centers address.

Dianne Craft, a therapist who worked for 20+ years in the school system with developmental issues, has developed a home curriculum that you can do yourself. She also has written a couple of manuals that teach techniques for teaching right-brain dominant kids. They have worked very well for two of my kids here--and I wish I had known this information for myself. To this day, while I did well in math and school in general, I have issues with remembering basic math facts. Ms. Craft's techniques work directly with right-brain strengths (pictures, color, emotion) to teach math facts and other things as well.

She has several videos on her sight that discuss at length the techniques she uses. Again, they are much the same as the Brain Balance centers use.

Her sight is diannecraft.org.
Amanda, mom of 3

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:32 pm

OK, back from my daughter's appointment with her DAN!. He agrees that Piracetam is the worth a try. He tried to get it ordered through two compounding pharmacies that he has used before to only get told that they have it, but it is now banned by the FDA so they won't sell it. So where can I get it?

And Amanda, he agrees with what you said about right brain dominant. He brought that up immediately when we talked about the memory issues.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Piracetam here https://supplements.relentlessimprovement.com/piracetam-p240.aspx?widget=mp
FDA banned the sale of piracetam as a drug, because it is not FDA approved, and as a supplement because it is man made. The ban applies to all chemical substances that fall into that category. But it is OK to sell piracetam as a chemical as long as the seller doesn't claim any health benefits. You can also buy piracetam abroad, from countries where piracetam is approved as a drug. Nootropil is the brand name from the original pharmacy-maker.
Piracetam is very bitter. So, you need a strategy how to give it to a child who doesn't swallow capsules.

LifeExtension.com also sells it.

andyseattle

Postby andyseattle » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:37 am

Have you ever tried TMG?
I has started giving to my son for 1 week.
It seems that his memory is better.
His mood is better.

I think Homocysteine destroy the brain cell.
and TMG can help that.

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 pm

I haven't tried TMG. My daughter is an overmethylator and any methyl donors put her into tantrums, irritability and her OCD behaviors get worse.

School starts in 10 days and I'm a bit nervous for her. We just found out yesterday that she didn't get the teacher she wanted and was placed in the lower special class for kids with math issues. I'm going to continue with her tutoring and keep on trying to figure out what is going on with her memory. She has other issues with memory like remembering how to tie her shoes and ride a bike, but I can deal with those on our own. It's the math and the school that me so concerned.

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:29 pm

We ended up trying Piracetam. She used it for about ten weeks overall. It led to some hyperactivity, but made little difference in memory. About a week ago she stopped using it and behavior has gotten better.

However, we did have one strange side effect that concerns me. My daughter has always been very honest, but while using Piracetam she began lying. And telling some crazy stories. Some are small lies, like telling us the bus driver had to get out of the bus and move cows off the road. Some are more elaborate. She told her us that she had gotten a part in the school holiday play and gave us very explicit details about it, her dance she had to learn, her song, her costume and what parts her friends had in the play. We were excited for her as she had never been chosen for something like this before. There ended up being not one bit of truth to the story and there was no play. Her next story concerned a girl who was a friend and could have possibly caused trouble for someone. She told that the girl got angry at her in gym class and hit hit her on the head, she claimed she went to the nurse and the girl who hit her got sent to the principal. My daughter claimed she had a headache for two days and I got concerned enough that I called her pediatrician fearing a head injury. After checking with the school and the teacher, we found out it was another lie. She has been admitting to lying once she is caught and can give no real answer why she is making up these stories.

We have always been proud of her for being honest. She had a reputation at school with the teachers for always telling the truth. I'm not sure if this supplement is causing his behavior, has anyone else had this issue arise? This has only been happening since starting Piracetam.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”