Any advice?!

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Bianca

Any advice?!

Postby Bianca » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:14 am

Hi guys, I'm new here! I have a 4year old son. He has been on OLE and OofO for 18 days now. For the last 3 days he has had a high temperature, lethargic and complaining that his head hurts- we are thinking this is viral and may be a result of the antiviral treatment (I'm so confused). It's awful seeing him like this and really don't want to do more harm than good! His bowel movements have been fine up until this morning- very loose. He also has:

Multivitamin
Vitamin D spray
Probiotics

I am noticing regression in his behaviour and speech, but he also has good days where we notice progression- any advic would be greatly appreciated. This is all very new to me

HALT1980

Re: Any advice?!

Postby HALT1980 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:29 pm

You may need to add thiamine and magnesium and if he has a headache for sure add ibuprophen. In my experience from just taking OLE myself, if I don't use magnesium, thiamine and iodine from kelp, I get a migraine the next day. I also get extremely tired as well anytime I take OLE but it is the only thing that keeps my chronic fatigue in check. (Exhausted the day after taking it but then I feel great the next few days) I usually have to take it about once or twice a week. I don't take it nonstop (not saying that your child doesn't need it non-stop though). I have been doing a low dose of OLE for my daughter recently but I have been pulsing it one day on, one day off. I have been doing this for about a week now. Please let me know how it goes for your child.

PS: I think because OLE works to fight infection, it uses these other vitamins and minerals quickly. So please definitely add the magnesium and we just use a magnesium fizzy drink like magna clam or natural calm. And thiamine too because it works with magnesium. I use just NOW foods thiamine or source naturals sublingual. I have considered adding vitamin a as well, I just haven't gotten that yet. HTH!
the old "mommyjen"
~Mommy to 6 wonderful kids~

Bianca

Postby Bianca » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:03 am

Thank you for the advice HALT980. I will definitely add in the magnesium and look into the other recommendations.
I often feel like I don't know WTH I'm doing with the antiviral protocol (dosing everyday), but our instincts are telling us he has yeast/gut issues and hidden viruses that need to come out... We will see, this is all trial and error much to my frustration!
We have also added Cod liver oil as it it supposed to be high in vit a- so hope to see some progress with that. :D

varen2

Postby varen2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:06 am

Hi!

Are you fighting yeast infection in his GI tract with OLE and OofO? If yes, it sounds like a dye-off effect from treating candida infection.
My son had similar symptoms and it was a dye-off effect from treating candida in his GI tract.

My son is currently on Nystatin (he is doing great, almost all symptoms of autism are gone. He's been on "Feast without Yeast" diet and nystatin for 4 months).

You can see my original post about our success with "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33403

Bianca

Postby Bianca » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:21 am

Hi! Yes i am! Or we think that this is his issue. I had a feeling it was "die off" but still can't help but question everything :| .
I've had a good look at "feast without yeast diet", unfortunately we aren't working with anybody like a DAN! Or anything and I'm assuming Nystatin has to be prescribed?
At the moment I'm happy going the natural route.
It's fantastic to hear about your child's recovery, it encourages me to keep fighting! All the best to you.

Pirsig

Postby Pirsig » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:59 pm

Bianca wrote:Hi guys, I'm new here! I have a 4year old son. He has been on OLE and OofO for 18 days now. For the last 3 days he has had a high temperature, lethargic and complaining that his head hurts- we are thinking this is viral and may be a result of the antiviral treatment (I'm so confused). It's awful seeing him like this and really don't want to do more harm than good! His bowel movements have been fine up until this morning- very loose. He also has:

Multivitamin
Vitamin D spray
Probiotics

I am noticing regression in his behaviour and speech, but he also has good days where we notice progression- any advic would be greatly appreciated. This is all very new to me

Hi Bianca,

Can you share more details on your son? Was he (and if yes, when) diagnosed to be on the spectrum? How long have you been doing biomedical interventions? Diets? Since this is a biomed forum, I am assuming you are interested and atleast have an open mind about these interventions.

Knowing these details will help me in providing an informed answer.

Bianca

Postby Bianca » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi Pirsig, I had the opportunity to have my son assessed when he was 3 years old. I declined, as I/we were in a little denial and wanted to give him some time to see how he continued to develop; everyone thought he was just a late bloomer. ( my son is mostly delayed in his speech and language; has some sensory issues ( loud noises); some stimming behaviours. His behavioural issues in regards to aggression and high levels of frustration have decreased, especially since he started nursery. At nursery it is noted that he doesn't integrate as much with the other children and he mostly mimicks play.
Here is some background info:

I had a healthy pregnancy, healthy birth and above all a healthy baby boy! My son hit his milestones and the health workers were always more than happy at his check ups. He loved to communicate as a baby with his sounds/ babbling; always smiled; was a very good eater etc.... Something changed with my baby at around 10- 12 months- he would cry and wouldn't want to be comforted, scratch at our hands and faces ( my hands used to be red raw). His speech was not developing and he started to adopt obsessive behaviours- following his shadow, loved lights, very controlling in his behaviour and would have meltdowns if he didn't get "his" way.
My son also has had constipation issues since he was two months old- I will never forget the day my tiny baby screamed out from the pain from it!
My son was due for his two year check up and that is when the health worker noted something wasn't right (I had already known, but everyone tells you otherwise). He soon started speech and language therapy which has helped but only to a degree.
We have been trying to live a "normal" life up until now, but my son will be 5 this year; he has improved overtime, but I just know there is something else going on with him (yeast).
My mum mentioned she heard about a connection with the ear as he has had a couple of infections and heard about OLE works well for that. I researched and that is where it really all began for me. It just makes sense! I feel I've babbled a bit, please let me know if there's anything else you would like to know
He has been on the antiviral protocol for 20 days now- is casein free- really trying to have no gluten but is a nightmare!
Ole and OofO
Probiotics
Multivitamin
Vitamin d
CLO I also need to add some magnesium.
Thank you for any advice :D

Pirsig

Postby Pirsig » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:48 pm

Bianca wrote:Hi Pirsig, I had the opportunity to have my son assessed when he was 3 years old.....

Bianca,

The additional information is very helpful in providing an informed answer. I am not a medical doctor and I am not giving medical advice here - I am a parent of a kid on the spectrum who has followed multiple biomedical interventions over the last 2 years and saw very good results with it. I just wanted to share my experiences and knowledge here in the hope that it might be of some use to you. Please be aware there is a lot I can write here but I tried to include the most important points as I do not want to overwhelm you, but please feel free to send me a pm if you are looking for more information on anything.

1) In my experience, a combination of biomedical treatments and clinical services (Speech therapy, OT/PT, ABA etc) leads to the best possible outcomes for any given child. It is also unfortunately true that the responses vary for every kid - some kids recover completely, some show moderate to significant gains and some do not respond at all. There is no way to tell before you begin this journey which bucket your son will fall into.

2) Your son's case seems to be one of regressive autism that is mild since he is able to go to a normal preschool. This is good news, since its easier to treat kids with milder symptoms than the ones with severe symptoms.

If you remember one thing from my post, then please remember that time is of essence. It has been found by various DAN (Defeat Autism Now) doctors that the sooner you start biomedical treatments, the better it is for kids on the spectrum. If finances are not a concern, then I would find a DAN doctor and get him evaluated for ASD. This site has a list of DAN doctors and you can ask for references from other parents in the area where you live - http://www.generationrescue.org/resourc ... physician/.

3) A DAN doctor will run a battery of tests on your kid to find exactly what is wrong with them - combination of blood tests and urine tests. Your son's values will be compared to reference ranges that are seen in neurotypical kids. Most kids on the spectrum have results that are very abnormal (outside the reference ranges).

4) After you have these results, you can chalk a customized plan of treatment for you kid over the next 3-4 years. You should have a plan in place for the various treatments you will follow and in what order you will follow them. You will watch them closely for responses to treatments and continue/discontinue treatments based on clinical response.

5) All the above is going to be pretty expensive and insurance might not pay for most of it, so if finances are a concern, then this is NOT the path that you want to follow.

6) If finances are a concern, then please do your own research on the tests you would like to order or the treatments you want to follow by working with your existing pediatrician. Give yourself about 3-6 months to see if your kid responds to biomedical interventions. Some useful books for you to read are: "Children with Starving Brains by Jacquelyn Mccandless", "Changing the course of Autism by Bryan Jepson" as a start.

7) Here's what 3-4 year tentative treatment plan might look like with a DAN doctor -
a) GFCFSF diet starting right away for the duration of treatment - promotes gut healing among other benefits
b) Test and treat problems with the methylation and transsulfuration pathways
c) Use soft and/or hard chamber HBOT
d) Test and treat for heavy metal poisoning
e) Other relevant interventions based on your son's tests (too many to mention here).

Hope that helps and all the best to you.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:01 am

Bianca wrote:Hi! Yes i am! Or we think that this is his issue. I had a feeling it was "die off" but still can't help but question everything :| .
I've had a good look at "feast without yeast diet", unfortunately we aren't working with anybody like a DAN! Or anything and I'm assuming Nystatin has to be prescribed?
At the moment I'm happy going the natural route.
It's fantastic to hear about your child's recovery, it encourages me to keep fighting! All the best to you.

It might be a dye-off effect or your son might be getting worse because of the probiotics. It sounds strange, but the most resent research shows that probiotics feed yeast. Probiotics as well as Vitamin B (all types) are cultured with yeast during manufacturing process.

I don't have any experience with natural ingredients, but Nystatin will work for sure in case of yeast. However, according to Dr Semon, Nystatin has to be taken together with the diet for best results. Diet eliminates toxins, yeast, sugars that feed yeast, and mold from the food your child is currently eating.

My personal opinion about DAN doctors..They make money on poor children and parents. This is a big industry and they will run many expensive tests and they will empty your pockets. We follow the diet by Dr Semon, we don't have a DAN doctor. We got our Nystatin prescription from our regular pediatrician.

We had an OAT urine test done from the Great Plains Lab (it's $299, might be covered by insurance if you file for it yourself). Once we had the test results, we've started "Feast without Yeast" diet. 3 weeks later we saw clear improvements with the diet. We took my son to our regular pediatrician, showed him our OAT urine test results, and this short explanation from here:
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/bo ... sect2.html

Our pediatrician gave us Nystatin prescription to cover the first 3 month.

We moved from New York to LA 1 month ago. As soon as we moved to LA, we've started looking for a pediatrician who would support our treatment plan with Nystatin. Nystatin is a very safe drug, it doesn't have any side effects. It doesn't get absorbed into blood stream.
Out of 4 doctors, 2 pediatricians agreed to continue with nystatin. We found a very good pediatrician here. If you need references, let me know. I can advice on our doctor in New York and two doctors in Los Angeles. Dr Semon, the author of the diet lives in Chicago. He has his own private practice there.

We used to live in New York and were giving my son Nystatin tablets from a New Jersey manufacturer. The main ingredient in tablets was sugar. My son was doing great on these tablets. We just moved to Los Angeles and we got Nystatin from Teva manufacturer (Canada). The main ingredient is corn starch. My son got worse while taking these tablets with corn starch. We switched to powdered form from an online compounded pharmacy http://www.leesilsby.com/

They charged extra $100 for compounding powder to capsules.
Since then we found a compounding pharmacy in LA which doesn't charge any extra for the same powder form.
There are many manufacturers putting "Talk" in Nystatin powder form. When ordering, you need to make sure they compound pure Nystatin.

Dr Semon, the author of this diet says that all autistic children have yeast problem. I don't know what the triggering factor is, but he says Candida overgrowth in GI tract causes autism in children and some other conditions, such as learning disabilities, eczema, migraines in adults and many other health issues.

Therefore, Yeast in autistic children has to be treated first, and then other issues (if there are any) can be addressed. He says that Nystatin has to be taken for at least 6 months together with the diet, and after 6 months parents can experiment with other treatments, vitamins and probiotics. After 6 months, parents can try to low the dose to see if lower dose works as well. So the idea is to have yeast under control for as long as child's brain is developing. I see many posts from parents saying that yeast come back and they have to treat it again and again. The diet takes away any toxins and molds that can get to bloodstream from food due to leaky gut.

Nystatin can be taken for a long time as it has no side effects. Depending on the child, age and severity, it takes 6 months to get yeast under control and after 6 moths other foods can be slowly added to the diet. Nystatin has to be taken for at least 6 months, sometimes up to 1 year. Some children take Nystatin longer. Dr Semon's own autistic son was on Nystatin for 6 years.

However, the benefit of this treatment is that young children (before age 3) can recover completely from autism within a year or two on Nystatin and the diet only. Older children will probably need some other treatments in place after Nystatin and the diet treatment. They will improve significantly, but I don't know if a complete recovery is possible.

Pirsig

Postby Pirsig » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 am

varen2@gmail.com wrote:My personal opinion about DAN doctors..They make money on poor children and parents. This is a big industry and they will run many expensive tests and they will empty your pockets. We follow the diet by Dr Semon, we don't have a DAN doctor. We got our Nystatin prescription from our regular pediatrician.

Hi Varen,

First off, thanks for sharing your story on the success you had with Dr.Semon's diet. I really like Dr.Semon and I use his recipes often (stage 4) at my home.

Also, please do not take the following as a personal attack or criticism but I am genuinely curious about what this statement on DAN doctors is based on? Have you consulted with any of them and had negative experiences? If yes, then you should absolutely post your experiences with DAN doctors with specifics, so that other parents can use that information in their decision making process.

There might be a few (or a lot) of DAN doctors who are incompetent and are in this only for making money - but saying every DAN doctor is out there to fleece parents who are in a difficult situation does not seem like a reasonable and accurate statement. The pioneers of the biomedical interventions like Mccandless, Jepson, Sidney Baker, Neubrander, Bock etc. are part of the DAN network. No reasonable person would deny that the interventions and treatments developed by these doctors have helped tons of kids on the spectrum. That is the reason I ask parents to do their homework and collect references to good doctors from people they know and trust (could be their friends, extended family etc.).

You should also consider the fact that Dr. Semon's book comes with an introduction by Bernie Rimland and Bernie was definitely someone who was actively involved with the DAN movement right from the inception of that idea.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Pirsig wrote:There might be a few (or a lot) of DAN doctors who are incompetent and are in this only for making money - but saying every DAN doctor is out there to fleece parents who are in a difficult situation does not seem like a reasonable and accurate statement. The pioneers of the biomedical interventions like Mccandless, Jepson, Sidney Baker, Neubrander, Bock etc. are part of the DAN network. No reasonable person would deny that the interventions and treatments developed by these doctors have helped tons of kids on the spectrum. That is the reason I ask parents to do their homework and collect references to good doctors from people they know and trust (could be their friends, extended family etc.).

There is no "DAN network" -- DAN has been defunct for years. All that was required by the Autism Research Institute to be listed on their DAN Physician Referral list was a claim to be DAN, and 1 DAN-related workshop for a few hours per year. The list was fraught with quacks and not policed for any standard. DAN was done away with and interested practitioners moved toward MAPS instead, which still includes some questionable practitioners.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:25 pm

varen2@gmail.com wrote:However, the benefit of this treatment is that young children (before age 3) can recover completely from autism within a year or two on Nystatin and the diet only. Older children will probably need some other treatments in place after Nystatin and the diet treatment. They will improve significantly, but I don't know if a complete recovery is possible.
Where is the substantiation for irresponsible internet marketing claims like this?

Of interest, a (if not the) leading pediatric gastroenterologist in the US, Tim Buie, who is quite invested in GI issues associated with autism, and who scopes children with autism all the time, does not find yeast in autistic children with the frequency so often found in internet treatment testimonials. According to Dr. Buie:
"We have cultured for it, we swabbed for it, we take the stool right out at the time of colonoscopy, we played it, and we just did not find it. And that’s Andy Wakefield’s data, that’s Karoly Horvath’s data, that’s certainly our experience, that’s Sophie Rosseneu’s work in another country…so I really want to say I need more information about where that yeast is before I go crazy after yeast.”

Autism: Bridging the Gap Between Knowledge and Practice for Clinicians
http://media.maine.gov/cgi-bin/vid?id=uzD9zKV2JulY51Z
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Santosg

Postby Santosg » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:57 am

I think that the gut does play a role in some forms of autism. Autism has multiple causes and can't be defined as being caused by a single set of variables. So, I think it is always best never to approach treatment from the perspective that 'this is the only thing that works.' Or, conversely, 'these approaches will never have any success.' Provided that the decisions are grounded in the real medical needs of the child and are based on specific set of criteria, there are different avenues worth pursuing.

I think that treating autism as something that is defined 'entirely' as a gut based issue is problematic. If autism is simply a matter of what gets eaten or digested, any alteration in diet should do something beyond simply 'improving' the symptoms of autism. That is, it should completely reveal a child that no longer has autistic characteristics. Whatever relates issues are contributing to autism, and there can potentially be many, autism is inherently brain based.

Focus on improving the diet, identifying if there are underlying allergies. But a diet is no substitute for behavioral intervention. Get your child enrolled in ABA. Work with them on a home based program. Focus on the development of language, social skills, basic life skills.

Varen, you seem to be almost religious about the merits of the diet to cure everything related to autism. Diets help, that's been shown in many studies related to gfcf. But you also seem to be too confident in its ability. Dangerously over reliant on this diet to answer all the needs your child is going to be facing. So, as I've seen in other posts, you've dismissed in a single sentence the entire biomedical approach--outside of diet. I don't think this is sound.

I think, like Bianca, that many parents are often in a bit of denial. There is a hope that everything will correct itself. Instead of actually seeing improvements, however, it just wastes valuable time. In response, parents often attach themselves to a single intervention in the hopes that it will provide a cure. There are many things that can help autistic children, there are plenty of things that might hurt them, and there are plenty of things that won't do a darn thing. The problem is that we'll never know what is of benefit for our own child without tests, research, and a bit of experimentation.

Lastly, though this is a biomedical board, I think that we need to continuously emphasize the need to encourage language and socialization. Children can have ear pains, constipation. You name it. But if a child is unable to communicate their needs, desires, and wants---you'll get behavioral issues. Too often, in the face of these behavioral issues, the underlying focus is simply the bodily issue--'he's constipated.' But he might not really know how to communicate when he needs to go to the bathroom, get reprimanded for defecating in his pants, and actually try to not go to the bathroom for much of the day for this reason. I don't say this specifically for your situation, but as a general rule: fostering language must be the primary intervention of parents with autistic children. All other interventions are secondary and in support of the above goal.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:10 am

Winnie wrote:
varen2@gmail.com wrote:However, the benefit of this treatment is that young children (before age 3) can recover completely from autism within a year or two on Nystatin and the diet only. Older children will probably need some other treatments in place after Nystatin and the diet treatment. They will improve significantly, but I don't know if a complete recovery is possible.
Where is the substantiation for irresponsible internet marketing claims like this?

Of interest, a (if not the) leading pediatric gastroenterologist in the US, Tim Buie, who is quite invested in GI issues associated with autism, and who scopes children with autism all the time, does not find yeast in autistic children with the frequency so often found in internet treatment testimonials. According to Dr. Buie:
"We have cultured for it, we swabbed for it, we take the stool right out at the time of colonoscopy, we played it, and we just did not find it. And that’s Andy Wakefield’s data, that’s Karoly Horvath’s data, that’s certainly our experience, that’s Sophie Rosseneu’s work in another country…so I really want to say I need more information about where that yeast is before I go crazy after yeast.”

Autism: Bridging the Gap Between Knowledge and Practice for Clinicians
http://media.maine.gov/cgi-bin/vid?id=uzD9zKV2JulY51Z

Dr. William Shaw, the Director of The Great Plains Laboratory, says in his book that stool test is not reliable for Yeast detection. Yeast lives in a small intestine. Candida Albicans (Yeast) doesn't survive the last stage of GI tract, the colon. Therefore, Stool test doesn't show Candida because Candida dies in the colon and it's not detectable in the stool.

A more reliable test for Yeast is a Urine test (OAT). It measures a by-product of yeast in the urine.
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/ho ... ll_oat.asp

By the way, my son had both tests done.
His Stool test didn't show any yeast overgrowth. There was no yeast detectable in his stool.
But his OAT urine test showed excessive, well above normal levels of yeast by-products in his urine, as well as high oxalate levels.
OAT Urine test is patented by the Great Plains Laboratory. Other labs probably have a similar test, but I don't know for sure.

The fact that my son responds so well to Nystatin proves my point. He has yeast and it's severe.
My son never had diarrhea or constipation, but still, he has yeast overgrowth.
I know for sure that Nystatin is the only reason he is doing so well. We went on "Feast without Yeast" diet before introducing Nystatin, and his expressive speech got so much better, his tantrums stopped, all behavioral symptoms improved and almost gone as soon as we introduced Nystatin. He is getting better and better every day.

My son doesn't take any other supplements..only Calcium, Vit D, and Fish oil.

Dr Semon says that every autistic child has yeast overgrowth and this is the first and most important treatment in getting symptoms under control. He actually thinks that yeast overgrowth is the cause of autistic symptoms.

In my personal opinion, yeast overgrowth is the cause of autism (I don't know what causes yeast to overgrowth though). Once the yeast has colonies in GI tract, it leads to small holes in the GI tract, or "leaky gut". If this is not treated properly, toxins and heavy metals start leaking from GI tract to bloodstream. This leads to high levels of heavy metals and toxins, etc. But by chelating heavy metals, the main problem (yeast) is not resolved. "Leaky gut" is still leaking.

To sum up:

To rule out yeast overgrowth, you need OAT Urine test.
Yeast comes back easily and no diet will efficiently treat yeast overgrowth.
To make sure yeast doesn't come back, Nystatin has to be taken for a long time (to prevent yeast coming back).
Nystatin acts in GI tract only. It doesn't get absorbed into bloodstream. It's safe to take for a long time and it doesn't affect liver function.
Other drugs, such as Duflican or Nisoral cannot be taken for a long time because they are not safe.
High doses of Vitamin B and probiotics feed the yeast (they are made with or from yeast) and they also interfere with Nystatin.
To make sure Nystatin works, supplements have to be stopped for 6 months while taking Nystatin.

If a child has yeast overgrowth only, this is the only treatment needed. If a child has heavy metals, or some other issues, they should probably be addressed after Nystatin is taken for at least 6 months.

This is the reason why I disregard DAN doctors. They advice on tests and treatments which don't resolve the main problem - yeast overgrowth. They address vitamin deficiency, heavy metals, etc. If they followed Dr Semon's protocol only, they would make no money because it is effective and simple and it doesn't require expensive treatments.

varen2

Postby varen2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:28 am

Winnie wrote:

I was just quoting Dr Semon's view on this. This is his opinion supported by more than 20 years of successful experience treating autistic children with "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin.

All I'm trying to do is to show that there is a very effective and simple treatment which addresses the core issue - yeast.
And it has to be addressed as early as possible.
6 months ago I was so lost and I had no idea what to do. My son was getting worse every day. It was a nightmare.
All my posts are for new parents coming to this website searching for answers. I was just like everyone else searching for some clues on this forum 6 months ago. But right now I know that tests have to be done first, and if yeast is a problem, it has to be addressed first.

Taking supplemens and Vitamins does not cure yeast. It just masks the symptoms.

Most DAN doctors advice to take many vitamins and supplements - this is what we did as soon as we learned about my son's autism. But what's next? If I knew what to look for and where to start right from the beginning, it would make my life so much easier.

This is all I'm trying to do - I want to encourage other parents to run OAT urine test, Stool test and Heavy metals Hair tests to see what the problem is before starting chelation or high doses of vitamins. My son had terrible tantrums when I gave him high doses of Vit B6. He was suffering so much and I believe it made his yeast much worse. I stopped Vit B6 and tantrums stopped. Then I stopped giving him Nu-Terra supplement because he was better without it.

I am sorry but this debate is taking too much of my time. If anyone would like to know more about our approach and our great success with "Feast without Yeast" diet and Nystatin, please email directly to me. I will be very happy to share our experience.

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Varen2 you've posted 18 times so far on this forum and all but one time you've mentioned the book "Feast without Yeast" I'm not sure if it's your intention but you're sort of coming off like you're selling something or some agenda. My daughter has also had her early and ongoing struggles with yeast, but it was only just one piece of her getting better.

Have you considered that besides yeast overgrowth the reason that diet is working for your child is that it might be eliminating something that he or she is allergic too? The Feast without yeast" diet eliminates a lot of foods that are highly allergic.

My daughter also reacted to Vitamin B6 and to Super-nu-thera and B12. It was because we later found out that she had a problem with methyl donors. Her reaction was not related to yeast.

I wouldn't discount DAN! doctors. My daughter sees a wonderful one, he has been instrumental in getting her to the point of where she is now. He treats yeast as well as many other aspects of autism.

Pirsig

Postby Pirsig » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Santosg wrote:I think that the gut does play a role in some forms of autism. Autism has multiple causes and can't be defined as being caused by a single set of variables. So, I think it is always best never to approach treatment from the perspective that 'this is the only thing that works.' Or, conversely, 'these approaches will never have any success.' ......

Santosg,

Thanks for logical and balanced posts like these - we need more parents like you and more posts like these on this forum.

Santosg

Postby Santosg » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:03 am

Thanks Pirsig. I appreciate the kind words.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”