Insurance questions - B12 shots, glutathione, nystatin, etc

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

mya

Insurance questions - B12 shots, glutathione, nystatin, etc

Postby mya » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi,

I have a question regarding insurance. We recently started seeing a DAN and he has put my son on B12 shots, glutathione, nystatin, etc. We have aetna and our insurance coverage is normally quite good. It picked up like 20-30% of the tab from the DAN visit too - which i was told by some of my friends that their insurance doesn't.

But regarding the prescription medications - my insurance covered none. Is this what everyone is experiencing? Is anyone getting B12 shots, glutathione, nystatin, etc covered at least partially from insurance. If so, what are you doing to - what can I do different to get this covered partially under insurance - our monthly bill for just these few medications is like $300 - $400. Any tips on how to get this cost to go lower?

Thanks,
Mya

varen2

Re: Insurance questions - B12 shots, glutathione, nystatin,

Postby varen2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:36 am

mya wrote:Hi,

I have a question regarding insurance. We recently started seeing a DAN and he has put my son on B12 shots, glutathione, nystatin, etc. We have aetna and our insurance coverage is normally quite good. It picked up like 20-30% of the tab from the DAN visit too - which i was told by some of my friends that their insurance doesn't.

But regarding the prescription medications - my insurance covered none. Is this what everyone is experiencing? Is anyone getting B12 shots, glutathione, nystatin, etc covered at least partially from insurance. If so, what are you doing to - what can I do different to get this covered partially under insurance - our monthly bill for just these few medications is like $300 - $400. Any tips on how to get this cost to go lower?

Thanks,
Mya

Hi Mya,

We got our Nystatin prescription from our regular pediatrician. It is covered by our insurance 100%.
You might want to find a compounding pharmacy nearby. If you do, ask your pediatrician to give you a prescription for powder. Compounded pharmacy will be able to order pure Nystatin powder without any fillers as pure Nystatin has much better taste and effect.

We mix Nystatin powder with honey to make it taste better...

We showed our pediatrician our OAT urine test results and you can probably show your DAN doctor recommendation for Nystatin.
Out of 4 pediatricians, 2 were happy to give us Nystatin prescription with 3 months refill.

Good luck.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”