difficulties with SCD diet

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

EmilyV

difficulties with SCD diet

Postby EmilyV » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi,
My son is 2.8 and has been on SCD for 81 days. He has a brighter facial expression, and perhaps some more language since on SCD, but his eczema is not better for sure, maybe worse. We have been unable to figure out why. He is also on dairy free, nut free diet, no nightshades, we excluded coconut, and still no change in eczema. We tried removing egg for 11 days, he was even worse during that time. His eczema improved initially 5-6 mo ago when we stopped gluten and casein, so we know it's probably related to food. He also is posturing (lying with his stomach on furniture) somewhat more than before SCD, maybe because of being somewhat more constipated. We are lost because the rash and GI state is supposed to be better on SCD, not worse.
Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!
----------
mom of 2.8 yo boy with ASD, GFCF x 6 mo, SCD x 81 days

Nikkie111

Re: difficulties with SCD diet

Postby Nikkie111 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 am

EmilyV wrote:Hi,
My son is 2.8 and has been on SCD for 81 days. He has a brighter facial expression, and perhaps some more language since on SCD, but his eczema is not better for sure, maybe worse. We have been unable to figure out why. He is also on dairy free, nut free diet, no nightshades, we excluded coconut, and still no change in eczema. We tried removing egg for 11 days, he was even worse during that time. His eczema improved initially 5-6 mo ago when we stopped gluten and casein, so we know it's probably related to food. He also is posturing (lying with his stomach on furniture) somewhat more than before SCD, maybe because of being somewhat more constipated. We are lost because the rash and GI state is supposed to be better on SCD, not worse.
Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!
----------
mom of 2.8 yo boy with ASD, GFCF x 6 mo, SCD x 81 days

I reckon it's a certain fruit you're giving him, maybe have a look at what you introduced that's part of SCD that actually is making him worse. Google the top allergenic and see what might bring the rash- what comes to mind certain fruits or beef
Maybe try giving more lamb or turkey this week and see how he is? Could you give us an idea of what he's eating?
If he's constipated do you give anything to get the bowels moving?

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks Nikkie. I will certainly see what is more likely to be allergenic. I haven't thought about beef in a while, but I remember that when I was breastfeeding i removed beef along with dairy from my diet and he got better (which could have just been due to removal of dairy).
He is eating squash, egg bread (with zuccini, carrot, squash) and beef or chicken with olive oil for breakfast, a veggie with chicken or beef soup, some veggies (such as asparagus, broccoli) and fish or chicken or beef for lunch, avocado and kale for snack, and again veggies and beef or chicken or salmon for dinner. We try to limit fruit - we do give some banana and apple and pear, but try no more than 1/2 banana and 1/2 apple a day. He also eats blackberries for rewards when he uses the toilet. We give Mg citrate for constipation, we started giving it every day, when he doesn't get it he gets constipated.
We tried to remove or decrease histamines for 5 days and didn't see much of a difference.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:55 pm

EmilyV wrote:Thanks Nikkie. I will certainly see what is more likely to be allergenic. I haven't thought about beef in a while, but I remember that when I was breastfeeding i removed beef along with dairy from my diet and he got better (which could have just been due to removal of dairy).
He is eating squash, egg bread (with zuccini, carrot, squash) and beef or chicken with olive oil for breakfast, a veggie with chicken or beef soup, some veggies (such as asparagus, broccoli) and fish or chicken or beef for lunch, avocado and kale for snack, and again veggies and beef or chicken or salmon for dinner. We try to limit fruit - we do give some banana and apple and pear, but try no more than 1/2 banana and 1/2 apple a day. He also eats blackberries for rewards when he uses the toilet. We give Mg citrate for constipation, we started giving it every day, when he doesn't get it he gets constipated.
We tried to remove or decrease histamines for 5 days and didn't see much of a difference.

Ok maybe have a look at the beef and blueberries (all these with seeds can cause rashes and awful behaviours) and obviously the eggy bread as I assume it has egg :)
Otherwise you can try asking doc for an antihistamine to see if things improve

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:17 pm

thanks Nikkie!

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:41 pm

We noticed since we stopped multivitamins (because he actually developed an allergy to them), his tendency for crossing his eyes got worse. It was like 5% of all time before, now it is 50% or more.
Meanwhile, the eczema still goes in cycles.
Does anyone have advice ? He seems to have a mild secondary mitochondial disorder, and maybe when we stopped MVI, mitochondia are missing some important nutrient. Any advice on which one, and which SCD-compliant multivitamins are better tolerated?
When we did Nature's plus animal parade (not SCD-compliant) he tolerated them but developed a lot of licking behaviors.
Thank you!

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:11 pm

EmilyV wrote:We noticed since we stopped multivitamins (because he actually developed an allergy to them), his tendency for crossing his eyes got worse. It was like 5% of all time before, now it is 50% or more.
Meanwhile, the eczema still goes in cycles.
Does anyone have advice ? He seems to have a mild secondary mitochondial disorder, and maybe when we stopped MVI, mitochondia are missing some important nutrient. Any advice on which one, and which SCD-compliant multivitamins are better tolerated?
When we did Nature's plus animal parade (not SCD-compliant) he tolerated them but developed a lot of licking behaviors.
Thank you!

Eczema is inflammation isn't it? If I were you I'd give lots of turmeric curcumin and possibly boswellia

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Thank you Nikki!

riverroad

Postby riverroad » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Have you read the Pecanbread website?

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/success1.html

There is a lot of info there to help you.
Read the page about the stages to see if the foods are too advanced.
Try to do the intro diet and then introduce new foods gradually

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”