Neuroligin-3 and a study in Basel University from Switzerland

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Marya

Neuroligin-3 and a study in Basel University from Switzerland

Postby Marya » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:39 am

Hi all,
I have been looking up for some papers and I've came across this study https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 080642.htm
According to this study neuroligin-3, is involved in the formation of synapses, the contact junction between nerve cells.

Of major importance is the finding that the impaired development of the neuronal circuit in the brain is reversible. When the scientists reactivated the production of neuroligin-3 in the mice, the nerve cells scaled down the production of the glutamate receptors to a normal level and the structural defects in the brain typical for autism disappeared. Hence, these glutamate receptors could be a suitable pharmacological target in order to stop the developmental disorder autism or even reverse it.

I never heard of Neuroligin-3 but as we know, high glutamate level has a big role in this syndrome.
Until Scientists can come up with an intervention we can use some supplements that are supposed to reduce glutamate.
Supplements that I know would reduce high level of glutamate are NAC and Taurine

Any thoughts please?

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”