Lyme Disease, Autism Link Debunked

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
mimicry

Re: Lyme Disease, Autism Link Debunked

Postby mimicry » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:40 pm

sarahsu9 wrote:The testing of Lyme disease has always been difficult - however, there is a newer method of testing, in which a blood sample is cultured for Lyme spirochetes:

http://www.advanced-lab.com/spirochete.php

If positive, a picture of the Lyme spirochete is sent to you to hang on your refrigerator. Pretty irrefutable.

I have no desire to debate Lyme disease, chronic myth, post studies, and so forth.

I have not heard of this test. I know it's not yet in practice by the research center at Columbia Med that focuses on the issues of post lyme vs chronic lyme. Their assertation is that there is still no test that can detent chronic lyme.
As I have mentioned of my previous history, I have often thought that lingering health issues where chronic lyme. But after experience, I have concluded my situation is post lyme syndrome. Mostly based on comparing my first die-off reaction when first diagnosed to subsequent antibiotic treatments. I have never felt die-off again, and it was rather memorable. But that is MY experience. I would never presume to tell another how they feel, and without a good test (unless this one becomes accepted) there is no reason to debate the issue because there is no solid proof available.

sarahsu9

Postby sarahsu9 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Trust me, I don't want to debate chronic Lyme, either. It's a nasty, horrible bacteria, this spirochete, cousin only to Syphlis, in that the spirochete can morph into different forms and corkscrew/ spiral into different parts of the body.
Dr. Alan McDonald was able to do research on Alzheimer's brains, and found spirochetes in the brains.
All quite depressing.

Anyway, the test I posted about was helped put in place by Dr. Burrascano, and it requires the blood be antibiotic free for 30-60 days, and they actually see if they can culture the spirochete.
An option I posted about testing. Expensive though, at $600. But can't dispute seeing the spirochete.
Might be helpful to someone.

Mimi, I agree, untreated Lyme and co- infections (Bartonella, Babesia, Erichlia, Myco P.) left untreated for months, years, can cause some serious damage to the body that might not be repaired, even after aggressive Lyme and co. treatment.

Perhaps it can never be eradicated fully, but beat down enough for the immune system to take over and keep it in check.

I think I am off topic here, as it seems to be Lyme induced autism, which I don't want to debate, either, lol.
But in case someone reads this and wanted some more info. on Lyme, I posted some information.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:08 pm

I am glad you did post it. I will likely look into the methods and legitimacy of the test. There are enough lab for profit enterprises that scare me off of putting hopes and money (as I am a single parent I am sure you understand) into something which may just be a grab for money due to the debate. I have become skeptical and careful.
I even got into a fight with my brother the other day over a company he is involved with that is selling a supplement and he called me all excited saying they had a guy take it and was cured from chronic lyme. Unfortunately, he is my grumpy, masochistic much older brother and his little sister's words don't mean much even if she has far more education and experience ;) our big bone of contention is that I wouldn't leave an active lyme infection to be treated by an untested product alone when it has shown to be weak to several antibiotics, but should be used to supplement only.
In case your wondering, the product is called mk active and is essentially tea-tree oil that has been chemically changed to be digestive. I am a fan of topical tea tree oil, so I am looking forward to the results of the current trials. If this works well, it wil be good for bacteria and fungus.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:18 pm

In the the most recent August 2013 edition of JAMA, Bransfield et al commented on this study.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... id=1733709

To the Editor Ms Ajamian and colleagues quoted our work that found an association between autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and Lyme disease in their research letter on serological markers of Lyme disease in children with autism. Their study used the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) testing criteria with enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs) followed by Western blotting. These assays, provided by Euroimmun, have only a 45% to 49% sensitivity.4 In addition, the patients were aged 2 to 18 years and developed autism as much as 18 years before the blood samples were drawn. A low sensitivity ELISA performed years later does not prove these patients were not exposed to an immune process triggered by Borrelia burgdorferi at the time the pathological process began.

Only 5 of 70 children with autism were tested with the more sensitive Western Blot. In contrast, we cited studies that collectively included 130 children with ASD and 62 controls tested either by Western Blot without the full complement of specific bands or forensic PCR and Southern Blot confirmation. Reactivity of B burgdorferi specific bands on Western Blot without the full number of bands meeting the CDC surveillance criteria is a more reliable indicator of prior exposure of B burgdorferi.

And reply from Ms. Ajamian:

In Reply. We evaluated the hypothesis that the rate of Lyme disease or associated seroprevalence is increased in children with autism as has been put forward by Dr Bransfield and others.1- 2 A key assertion previously made in their Medical Hypotheses articles is that a substantial number of children with autism have active Lyme disease, with associated symptoms presumably resolving through antibiotic treatment.1- 2 However, Bransfield and Kuhn now instead suggest that Lyme disease triggered autism in the affected children’s distant past (ie, B burgdorferi infection was no longer present), citing that as a reason why seropositivity could not be detected in any of the autistic children that we studied. Such a claim is contradictory to their previous argument for the association of autism with ongoing and antibiotic-responsive B burgdorferi infection.

CdB

Postby CdB » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:49 am

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22361005

Long term antibiotic therapy may be an effective treatment for children co-morbid with Lyme disease and autism spectrum disorder.
Kuhn M1, Grave S, Bransfield R, Harris S.
Author information
Abstract

Patients diagnosed with Lyme disease share many of the same physical manifestations as those diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). In this study four male children (ages 26-55 months) who have an ASD diagnosis and one male child (age -O meets state and federal requirements for providing a comprehensive, ongoing assessment of a child with an ASD [33]. The SAP-O form measures children's abilities using observational, authentic assessment procedures in the domains of joint attention, symbol use, mutual regulation, and self regulation via observations of specific behaviors in familiar settings [33]. The five children tested positive for Lyme disease and their SAP-O score was evaluated before and after 6 months of antibiotic therapy. Each child was prescribed 200mg of amoxicillin three times per day and three of the five children were prescribed an additional 50mg of Azithromycin once per day. All of the children's scores on the SAP-O assessment improved after 6 months of antibiotic therapy. The assessors also reported anecdotal data of improved speech, eye contact, sleep behaviors, and a reduction of repetitive behaviors.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”