Clean room ASD study

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
kulkulkan

Clean room ASD study

Postby kulkulkan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:55 pm

This is an interesting experiment. Regardless of efficacy, I think it makes sense to minimize all sources of oxidative stress.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... 0564-0.pdf

A cleanroom sleeping environment’s impact on markers of oxidative stress, immune dysregulation, and behavior in children with autism spectrum disorders
Scott Faber1*, Gregory M Zinn2, Andrew Boggess2, Timothy Fahrenholz2, John C Kern II3 and HM Skip Kingston2

Abstract
Background: An emerging paradigm suggests children with autism display a unique pattern of environmental, genetic, and epigenetic triggers that make them susceptible to developing dysfunctional heavy metal and chemical detoxification systems. These abnormalities could be caused by alterations in the methylation, sulfation, and metalloprotein pathways. This study sought to evaluate the physiological and behavioral effects of children with autism sleeping in an International Organization for Standardization Class 5 cleanroom.

Methods: Ten children with autism, ages 3–12, slept in a cleanroom for two weeks to evaluate changes in toxin levels, oxidative stress, immune dysregulation, and behavior. Before and after the children slept in the cleanroom, samples of blood and hair and rating scale scores were obtained to assess these changes.

Results: Five children significantly lowered their concentration of oxidized glutathione, a biomarker of oxidative stress. The younger cohort, age 5 and under, showed significantly greater mean decreases in two markers of immune dysregulation, CD3% and CD4%, than the older cohort. Changes in serum magnesium, influencing neuronal regulation, correlated negatively while changes in serum iron, affecting oxygenation of tissues, correlated positively with age. Changes in serum benzene and PCB 28 concentrations showed significant negative correlations with age. The younger children demonstrated significant improvements on behavioral rating scales compared to the older children. In a younger pair of identical twins, one twin showed significantly greater improvements in 4 out of 5 markers of oxidative stress, which corresponded with better overall behavioral rating scale scores than the other twin.

Conclusions: Younger children who slept in the cleanroom altered elemental levels, decreased immune dysregulation, and improved behavioral rating scales, suggesting that their detoxification metabolism was briefly enhanced. The older children displayed a worsening in behavioral rating scale performance, which may have been caused by the mobilization of toxins from their tissues. The interpretation of this exploratory study is limited by lack of a control group and small sample size. The changes in physiology and behavior noted suggest that performance of larger, prospective controlled studies of exposure to nighttime or 24 hour cleanroom conditions for longer time periods may be useful for understanding detoxification in children with autism.

Trial registration: Clinical Trial Registration Number NCT02195401 (Obtained July 18, 2014).
Keywords: Autism, Behavioral rating scales, Cleanroom, Glutathione, Immune dysregulation, Oxidative stress

monkeyman

Re: Clean room ASD study

Postby monkeyman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks for posting. I found the study very interesting.

Do you see value in creating a 'clean room' environment at home? I've been thinking about installing a Lennox PCO "Pure Air" system with photocatalytic oxidation (https://www.lennox.com/pdfs/brochures/Lennox_PureAir_System.pdf) and a high efficiency heater in the house.

My son is 19 months, so he seems primed to benefit from this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, if metals are being pulled from tissue, any concerns about the redistribution, or are the levels low enough to be 'safe'?

Thanks,
MM

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:04 am

Yes I do think it is a good idea in general, not specific for ASD. Our older son has allergies, so to the extent I can remove as much possible allergens and VOCs from the air, it makes sense to do that. Although we have some sort of media filter for the whole house, a better solution is a room air filter with hepa and carbon media and that can turn the air in the room at least 5 times an hour. The whole house filter connected to the house vents cannot accomplish that even if you have it running 24/7 so I would invest in standalone systems. Coincidentally I was reading below reviews today.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-air-purifier

We are also getting whole house water filter installed next week. Also replacing carpets in bedrooms this summer with hopefully low VOC hardwood. I think one of biggest polluter for us is my wife doing a dozen load of laundry each week - need her to start using more green products.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:11 am

On redistribution of metals, I wouldn't be too concerned. However I would periodically chelate as well. The challenge that we have is that blood metal levels are negligible so if raising natural detox pathways can bring more metals from tissues to blood (where a chelator can pick them up), then that's a big positive.

monkeyman

Postby monkeyman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks Kulkulkan,

Those purifiers you linked to look good. We may end up doing both the whole house filer and the purifiers in my sons rooms.

Do you have any concerns about EMFs from running the purifiers all night? I'm not sure what I think about EMFs. Some days I'm convinced it's an issue, other times not so much.

We are also removing all our carpets this month, and replacing with the least-toxic hardwood we can find. Have you done any research on the hardwoods? I'd be interested to hear what you think is the best option to install. Looking for very low VOCs, no glue, no/very minimal offgassing, etc.

Thanks,
MM

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:25 pm

The problem with low VOC hardwood is finding a supplier locally that actually has inventory or can order it. I don't have any particular brand or suggestion here. Let me know if you find anything.

I don't have strong views for or against EMF - studies on tDCS or rTMS show that it can do some good (used for both inhibiting or exciting regions of the brain). I am sure it can be bad as well. EMF is a very wide spectrum and lots of other variables in addition to frequency. In below research, they have created a mouse model as well using very low frequency EMF.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24970316

So far we haven't done anything about it.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”