Dana----EPO & GrapeSeed

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

momtoMatthew

Dana----EPO & GrapeSeed

Postby momtoMatthew » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:07 pm

I will tell you that I have had a not so very good day.....so when I went to pick Matthew up and spoke to his teacher (which on a 'normal' day I wouldn't have had time to do more than say a quick hello as she puts him in the car, but I was having car problems RIGHT in the school parking lot :x ...instead of driving up to get him, I had to walk up which is why I was able to speak to his teacher for a couple minutes) and she told me that Matthew was very focused and attentive today during class...especially during her one on one time with him,....that he was the most attentive he's been since starting this year; it gave me a much needed smile.... :D :D :D :D

I've had some additional reasons to :x since getting home, but instead I keep thinking about what she said and I keep on :D

WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Thank you so much for your help with these supplements! I started them on Friday morning last week...so I know this is why she saw a difference!!!

Joey'smom

Postby Joey'smom » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:33 am

What is EPO? How much are you giving and is it to fight yeast?
Joey, 10 yrs., PDD-NOS was our last dx
GFCF, Yasko, ABA
Hoping to get to RDI

i_sundaresan

Postby i_sundaresan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:11 am

Hi MomToMathew

Thanks for sharing this info. Could you please let us know the dosage for EPO and GSE that you gave to your child.

What is your child's age and weight.How did you dtermine the dosage?

Regards

Sundar

Omamma

Postby Omamma » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:14 am

I've gotta say thanks too! After reading the thread about EPO and GSE I decided to try the EPO for dd. It's been great!!!! She has been way more attentive, making better eye contact, seems more aware, and is trying to babble more. We've also started NDF plus in the last few weeks, so I can't swear to which is doing the most good, but the more dramatic change was about 2 days after starting the Evening primrose oil. Thanks again !

momtoMatthew

Postby momtoMatthew » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 am

EPO= Evening Primrose Oil , Grape SE= Grape Seed Extract (not grapefruit seed)

I give the exact ones Dana recommended by Olympian Labs 1.3 grams for the EPO and 120 mg's GrapeSeed Extract

Matthew is 6 y/o and weighs 59 pounds....I am giving them for his hyperactivity and attention.

Dana

Postby Dana » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:12 am

RUTH!!!! Oh, this makes my day!!! I am so very happy for Matthew and for you! How fantastic to hear from his teacher about his great focus! Isn't this stuff fabulous!?!!

Omamma, thanks for the update, you are seeing wonderful things as well. It is amazing what our kids can show us once the fog is lifted and I really see the EPO do this with my son too.

EPO works great with kids who are movers, too. My son was always a mover, climber, bouncer, jumper....etc. EPO helps calm that excessive need for movement and we DEFINATELY see it work this way also.

Great news everyone! Thank you so much for the updates! :D :D :D
Dana

Omamma

Postby Omamma » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:46 pm

That's very interesting...my dd is a mover, bouncer, climber, runner. Now that you mention it she does seem a lot calmer and more focused.
Thanks again!!! :D

Carlie

Postby Carlie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:59 pm

Dana - my son isn't hyper but does stim a bit. Do you think the EPO might be good for him? He isn't run around the room hyper but I definitely think he is in a 'fog' sometimes. Where do you get EPO?

Dana

Postby Dana » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi Carlie,

I just love EPO so much that I think all of our kids would benefit. It is omega 6 and omega 9 EPO by Olympian Labs from the health food store. It is in an amber glass bottle and is around $9 for a 2 month supply. I would be curious to hear how it affects stimming, not sure, but absolutely increases focus which in turn may decrease the stimming.

Good luck Carlie,
Dana

Carlie

Postby Carlie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks, Dana. One more question: How do you apply it? Do you rub it in or is it something to take internally? Once a day?

Thanks so much!

Dana

Postby Dana » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:26 pm

Taken orally, once daily. :wink:
Dana

Joey'smom

Postby Joey'smom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:08 am

May have to try it - perhaps it will stop the notes from coming home from the teacher on lack of focus. :?

Isn't GSE something that wards off yeast as well?
GFCF, Yasko, ABA
Hoping to get to RDI

Dana

Postby Dana » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:51 am

GSE GrapeFRUIT Seed Extract is used for yeast overgrowth.

Grape SEED Extract is an antioxidant, make sure not to mix these up as they are very different :wink:
Dana

i_sundaresan

Postby i_sundaresan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:53 am

Hi Dana

Which one do you use for your kid?

GrapeFRUIT Seed Extract(yeastcontrol) OR Grape SEED Extract(antioxidant) ?

Got little confused :(

Thanks

Sundar

Dana wrote:GSE GrapeFRUIT Seed Extract is used for yeast overgrowth.

Grape SEED Extract is an antioxidant, make sure not to mix these up as they are very different :wink:

i_sundaresan

Postby i_sundaresan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi Dana

This what i found at one of the websites. Is this the correct one?

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/b ... id=VS-2117

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vitamin Shoppe
Grape Seed Extract
100 Capsules
Strength: 60 MG
Serving Size: 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servings Per Container 100 Capsules

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
GRAPE SEED EXTRACT (MEGANATURAL GOLD) (VITIS VINEFERA) (SEED) STD. TO 90% PROANTHOCYANIDINS 54 MG 60 Mg N/A*

CITRUS BIOFLAVONOID COMPLEX PROVIDING 35% HESPERIDIN 105 MG 300 Mg N/A*

* Daily value not established

Where do you buy yours from?

Thanks

Sundar

tmarthaler

Postby tmarthaler » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:55 pm

i finally got my little guy to take these two but it was tough. i think that these are a little "earthier" tasting than he is used to. he wouldn't take it mixed in regular juice..did anyone else have this problem? i finally got him to take it in flavored fitness water..probably not the best thing for him but if he takes it...

Dana

Postby Dana » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi Sundar,

I give Grape Seed Extract for focus. I give my son 120 mg a day, Olympian Labs. $14.95 for 100 capsules.

My bottle says 95% Grape Seed Extract
(the rest is grape skin).
Dana

Carlie

Postby Carlie » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:18 pm

Dana ,
I always find your posts so fascinating. You are really doing a great job with your son as you are reaping the rewards with all the progress he has made.

Q - where did you get the idea to give Grapeseed? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere to use for autism or focus issues. I did some searches on it but came up with nothing conclusive. Just curious.

Sounds very exciting though...also the primrose too.

Joey'smom

Postby Joey'smom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:22 pm

http://affordablenaturalsupplements.com/27611.html

This looks like a great source for both of these supplements. Very inexpensive.

But I think I'd pay just about anything to see focus increase and stimming decrease!
GFCF, Yasko, ABA
Hoping to get to RDI

Dana

Postby Dana » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:06 am

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:Ft ... =clnk&cd=4

Most of these children have been proven vitamin A and zinc deficient, a lack of which causes diarrhea. There are two primary dietary sources of retinol: dairy fats and fish liver oil. If dairy is eliminated, Cod-liver oil must be supplemented. A lack of vitamin A contributes to thyroid malfunction. Supplementing probiotics, digestive enzymes, HCl, fiber, Evening Primrose oil, cod-liver oil (vitamins A and D, and Omega-3 fatty acids), and zinc will relieve both diarrhea and constipation, and ear infections, usually.

Some info on dose and antioxidants (dose info was new to me, I may try this way)

For the autistic, the odds favor best results if you supplement Evening Primrose oil to restore levels of GLA. First, supplement vitamin C (250-1000 mg, divided into three servings) and E (200-400 IU) with selenium for a week, if this is not done, in susceptible children, an asthma attack may be triggered by the free radicals generated by the EPO. Continue supplementing the antioxidants, and add one 500 mg capsule of EPO. Increase to 2500 mg as it is seen to be tolerated. This can be in two 1300 mg capsules. When beneficial results in energy, weight gain (where needed) or reduction in the symptoms of fatty acid deficiency are seen, or after at least six weeks, reduce the Evening Primrose Oil to one 500 mg capsule, and add two or three teaspoons of cod-liver oil (based on the child’s size—2 tablespoons for adults).

Some signs of deficiency:

Supporting the thyroid will burn off these excess and harmful VLCFA. These children who are deficient of GLA will be identified by excessive thirst, excessive urination, dry skin and hair, dandruff, brittle nails, and rough skin. If you give them cod-liver oil they become exceedingly thirsty, and their behavior may be upset by it. In that case, discontinue the CLO and supplement Evening Primrose oil to restore the fatty acid balance.

This was the original paper that convinced me to try EPO: http://www.autism.org/mcginnis.html

Fatty Acid Deficiency
Lower serum DHA, DGLA and AA in hyperactives than controls. (Clin Pediatr 26(8):406-411 1987)
Double-blind administration of evening primrose oil to a subgroup of prior study was associated with improved parent ratings for Attention and Excess Motor Activity compared to placebo. (J Abn Child Psychol 15(1): 75-9 1987)
Evening Primrose oil (GLA) 1 gram/day improved 53 of 79 hyperactive children selected as a subgroup on the basis of mood swings. The most striking improvement was noted in children with sleep disorders, crying spells and family history of alcohol or bipolar. (Muriel Blackburn, Crawley Hospital, Sussex , U.K.)
Lower plasma DHA, EPA and AA, and lower RBC AA in ADHD than controls (Am J Clin Nutr 62: 761-8 1995)
(Same group above correlated greater tendency to behavioral problems with lower total plasma Omega-3, more colds and antibiotics with lower total Omega-6. Physiology and Behavior Vol 59, Nos. 4/5 915-920 1996)
Zinc and Evening Primrose Oil the mainstay for thousands of successes claimed by the HACSG, Sussex England (Personal Communication, Vicky Colquhoun 1997)

I have info on grapeseed, I have to locate the file and I will post it. But basically it is pycnogenol/pine bark which is an incredible anitoxidant and improves focus. I will post the file as soon as I can locate it.
Dana

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”