Dana----EPO & GrapeSeed

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Dana

Postby Dana » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:33 am

Grapefruit seed extract is antifungal, used to fight yeast. I have given capsules, also REALLY helpful is grapefruit seed drops, I apply right to any eczema patches and it clears them up in no time!
Dana

vabmail

when's the right time to take these supplements?

Postby vabmail » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:17 pm

Dana

I've read a bunch of your posts and I'm going to try the primrose oil and GSE for focus issues. I want to see if there is any decrease in my son's stimming and whether it helps him sleep longer at night.

My doc also recommended GABA, which I am going to try to - I believe that you found this to make your child hyper? I may weight to try your suggestions first.

I am wondering when you give the EPO and GSE.

...and if anyone has any dosage times on the GABA, I'd appreciate that as well. It seems like more of it is better - now that I think of it, that might be spread out throughout the day?
Vanessa

We are not given more than we can handle.

Dana

Postby Dana » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:56 pm

Your oils like CLO, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, EPO can all be given once daily, it is not necessary to spread them out since they are stored in the cells. I give EPO before school, though, trying to get the most benefit from it as possible :wink: I usually try to give the GSE at this time, but if I cannot get it down him we just wait until after school.

I did have a rough time with GABA, my son too. It made us both excitable and crabby. Not sure why :?:

Magnesium is calming, there is a product called natural calm. That stuff knocked me out! I would only give that at bedtime.

hth
Dana

vabmail

Postby vabmail » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:43 pm

thanks for the info - I've been giving the CLO at night, so I think I will change it to the morning and add in the EPO and GSE then as well.

I looked up the Natural Calm and I actually give Bobby Magnesium pills at night for calming. I was giving Epsom Salt baths which didn't seem to do much and we've used the Magnesium cream (which helped when I could apply it 3-4 times a day) - I think I'm not giving him enough of the Magnesium tablets - only 250 mg as opposed to the 400 mg he was getting over the summer with the cream.

We are doing a maintenance protocol for HBOT too, I'm trying not to get carried away with myself. I get so excited when trying new things with Bobby. I'm always looking for the slightest improvement.

Have you ever tried HBOT?
Vanessa

mom2sarah&sam

Postby mom2sarah&sam » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:28 am

Dana- We have been giving EPO and Grapeseed Extract for about 2 months now and Sarah is getting all kinds of positive feedback on her focus and attention in therapy. Thay are able to get her to attend longer and she is learning more during each session! We have also noticed more conversational language and appropriate play not just scripting and self talk, but more acting out the scene that she is talking about in imagiative play! All good things, but I have a question... the container the suppliments came in says to take 1 2-3 times a day. Should I give it to her twice a day instead of once? Do you think there would be any added benefit? She is 4.8yrs, do you think giving her more could be bad for her since these are obviously adult doses? Any info is always appreciated! Thanks!!!
Hannah
Mom to my precious little girl Sarah-6 ASD and all boy Samuel-4 NT as can be!

Dana

Postby Dana » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:13 am

Sarah is getting all kinds of positive feedback on her focus and attention in therapy. Thay are able to get her to attend longer and she is learning more during each session! We have also noticed more conversational language and appropriate play not just scripting and self talk, but more acting out the scene that she is talking about in imagiative play!

This is wonderful! Great job Sarah and mom!!
Should I give it to her twice a day instead of once?

Well, from my reading, EPO is GLA (an Omega 6) which is a fatty acid. Fatty acids can be given once daily since they are stored in the system. If it is easier to give it twice daily then I would. Either way the dose is what matters, sometimes when taking so many different supplements it is easier to spread them out.
I give my son who is 9 years old 1.3 grams of EPO daily.

Vanessa,

Magnesium:
only 250 mg as opposed to the 400 mg he was getting over the summer with the cream.

My son requires a lot of magnesium. He takes a cal/mag tablet that gives him 500 mg a day, plus he also takes a magnesium tablet that is 1000mg. This has been a daily requirement for him for years now, it keeps the ear sensitivities away.

We are doing a maintenance protocol for HBOT too, I'm trying not to get carried away with myself. I get so excited when trying new things with Bobby. I'm always looking for the slightest improvement.

Oh I know! I am the same way, it is so thrilling to see those improvements, no matter how *little* because we know what a true leap in progress it really is. We have not done HBOT, it is on my wish list though!
Dana

vabmail

Postby vabmail » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:23 am

Thanks for the response Dana! I've started giving 2 tablets of Magnesium at night - starting last night - will do that for a few weeks before increasing the dosage. I'd like to see if I can get the calming affect before adding the GSE and EPO. I'm interested in adding them because I would love to increase his focus.

The HBOT has really helped, I think. We rented it for a month which was rough, financially and time-wise. Bobby is in school all day and has therapies afterschool tues, wed and thurs, which means that there's not much time for preparing dinner, doing homework and relaxing. We saw some improvements with language and other things. If you can ever swing it, I think it's worth a try. Of course I feel like I see better improvements when we are only doing it once a week. The doc says that the cells need time to catch up when done every day, so it's natural to see more positives when you stop the frequency.
Vanessa

mom2sarah&sam

Postby mom2sarah&sam » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks Dana! So you give your son just one of the 1.3 grams pills a day? This is the one I am using (the same one from Olymia Labs), but the bottle says 2-3 times a day. I guess if you are just using one total all day than that is where we will stay for a while. Thanks again!
Hannah

Dana

Postby Dana » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Hannah,

Yes, he takes just one of the Olympian Labs softgels. I am not certain if a higher dose would be *too much*, so I stay with the recommended dose from Dr. McGinnis who gives his own autistic son EPO. Keep me updated :wink:
Dana

mom2sarah&sam

Postby mom2sarah&sam » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:54 pm

Dana,

Thanks for the explaination on the dosing. I will continue at the 1 softgel a day as well. We are seeing a lot more conversation lately and still having good sessions so we are happy!
Hannah

Omamma

Postby Omamma » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:43 am

Here is an interesting article about something called pyroluria. It apparently effects about 20% of autistic children. The disorder causes the body to be deficient in vit. B6, zinc, and omega 6 oils (EPO). For those of us who are seeing benefits from EPO, it may be something to look into. I understand it can be tested for in the urine. I'm holding off on testing at this time, because from what I read the treatment is just supplementing with b6, zinc, and EPO which I already do anyway. We are continuing to see lots of good things in dd since we started the EPO.

http://www.nutritional-healing.com.au/c ... =Pyroluria

sammick

Postby sammick » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:47 pm

Does anyone give these two twice a day? It seems to really helped my son during the day, but around 3-3:30 he seems to start getting hyper again. Could I give him 1 more of each then or would this be too much.

Thanks!
Kristen & Matt

Samantha 7
McKinley 6 Dyspraxia, ADD/ADHD, recovered ASD
Riley 2
Cadighan 1

Dana

Postby Dana » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:07 pm

I occasionally give my son extra in the afternoon, as needed.
Dana

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:39 pm

Are you folks still seeing good luck with this?

We just started it today.

Dana

Postby Dana » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:02 am

Used it for years now....wouldn't go without it.
Dana

gaurav

Postby gaurav » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi,

How to prepare Grapefruit seed extract, Grape seed extract at home from fresh fruit ?

do we dry the seeds, powder them and then give it to the child ?

we give fresh grape fruit juice twice daily. is giving fresh fruit as beneficial ?
WE SHALL OVERCOME.....

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:46 pm

Be careful about giving grapefruit juice with meds. It can really increase their affect. Not sure which ones it interacts with though. Also, I think they go through quite a process to create the grapefruit seed extract, it has a soapy consistency so I don't think making it at home would work the same.

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Dana wrote:Used it for years now....wouldn't go without it.

Thanks Dana. Who's EPO are you using now?
Are you still isolating the GSE and EPO from your other supplements?
Still using the same dosage or have you found the "sweet spot"?

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 am

Y'all, this is a good one to try, if you haven't already. We're having luck with it and noticed a difference within a few days.

ModeratorBill

Postby ModeratorBill » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:17 pm

Please ignore the "Moved" on the top of this thread. A copy of it was moved to the Popular Posts forum, based on a member nomination. However, you may continue to post in this thread in Diet and Biomed Forum.
Cheers,
Bill the Moderator
To report a rules violation click the ! icon on bottom right of a post

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”