There's a Boy in Here by Judy Barron & Sean Barron

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
dorybh

There's a Boy in Here by Judy Barron & Sean Barron

Postby dorybh » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:16 pm

I just finished this book and I have to say I was a little disappointed. It tells the story of the Barron family in their journey through autism with their son, Sean. I am currently focusing on reading stories of recovery, and so I was attracted to this book. Unfortunately, most of the book dwells on the negative and destructive behavior of Sean. The recovery of their son takes place after he watches the movie "SonRise". The positive part of the book is that it gives you Sean's perspective as he remembers it. Since it wasn't what I was expecting, I found it a letdown. Maybe you'll find inspiration in its pages. dory
I had to be there, to get here.

wv_literata

Re: There's a Boy in Here by Judy Barron & Sean Barron

Postby wv_literata » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am

Hi;

I was gifted this book, and while it is dramatic, drama is not necessarily what we seek in reading books on autism. I was also disappointed because I found too many little social messages in it, too much opinion about various types of people, which I found odd and wondered who paid this mother and son to put this book together. Evidently the mother's (assumed) middle class income was bolstered with enough funding for extensive travel in the promotional stage of this book. While it is well-written and darkly gripping, easy to get "sucked into," so to speak, I was disappointed to read and read and read in pursuit of that "key" that was released toward the end, and the big answer to unlocking an autist's potential is, according to this book: moving to the city and being exposed to more cultures of people. Now I don't think that's going to cure autism any time soon.
Let HOPE be the propeller that lifts you from the depths of despair.

janchap

Re: There's a Boy in Here by Judy Barron & Sean Barron

Postby janchap » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:16 am

I read this book a long time ago and have since recommended it to people because:

*It shows how a mother realised her son's potential and did something bout it on a daily basis;
*The father then spent a lot of time teaching and explaining things to his son;
*Sean's sister fellowshipped, supported and generally looked out for her brother;
*The mainstream school Sean attended was exceptional in the support it provided Sean;
*Sean had the intellectual capacity and health which allowed him to build upon each learning experience;
* His mother provided him a forum by which to express his life as he was experiencing it which clarified things for him in his own mind and helped others to understand how best to help him further.
*It shows that people with autism and associated conditions may well improve their understanding of the world and so contribute more effectively to it.

janchap@hotmail.com

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”