Healing the New Childhood Epidemics by Kenneth Bock, MD

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
dorybh

Healing the New Childhood Epidemics by Kenneth Bock, MD

Postby dorybh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:49 am

Dr. Bock has made the connection between the 4 A's-Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies. The book explains how biochemically, these disorders are related, and includes personal stories of his patients (some of whom have recovered from their conditions), and their methods of treatment. The Healing Program of the book outlines the four-pronged approach to treating these disorders including nutritional therapy, supplementation, detoxification and (optionally) medication.
Our sweet boy has three of the four A's and over the years I have tried to convince many a doctor that they are related to no avail. Dr. Bock is one doctor who really gets it. This book has motivated me to ramp up our biomed intervention so that I can help my sweet boy to fully recover. This book tells us that it is possible to reverse all of these conditions in a (mostly) natural and methodical way. I only wish Dr. Bock's office wasn't so far away from us!
If you need to be inspired, motivated and uplifted, please consider picking this book up. It may give you the lift you need.
dory
I had to be there, to get here.

Monica3

Postby Monica3 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:59 pm

It is a great book, my favorite.
Thank you
Monica

amy

Postby amy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 am

:D i love it too!
amy, mommy to:

zach 2/21/99
jared 8/24/00
katie 8/23/02

DianeM2

Postby DianeM2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:31 pm

EXCELLENT Book.
Keeping the Faith

Dani

Postby Dani » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:42 am

This is one of my favorites biomedical books. The entire book is written in a way that makes it easy for the average parent/caregiver to understand how to treat autism from the inside out. I love this book.

Ian's mom

Postby Ian's mom » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Excellent book!!! I recommend it to everyone!
After the storm comes the rainbow.

HoldingOn2Hope

Re: Healing the New Childhood Epidemics by Kenneth Bock, MD

Postby HoldingOn2Hope » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:38 pm

This book is phenomenal! I cried through the first 40 pages, realizing that what was "wrong" with my son is called "autism", and also appreciating that I'm actually not alone in my experience!

I appreciated all of the biomedical information and anecdotes, phrased in an easy-to-read manner. I underlined all of the "symptoms" that fit my son, typed them in list-form, and printed it out for our ped (who is coincidentally a DAN dr).

Without this book, I wouldn't have had the motivation and knowledge to pursue a diagnosis and get on the journey of healing my son.

I've talked about this book so much, my mom decided to read it, and now my dad is reading it!!! Now my mom is recommending it to everyone who will listen. :)

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 pm

Just got it in the mail---GREAT book! Got two copies, one to share with my brother for his two spectrum kids.

The boy Kyle in his autism case study is JUST like my son! I pray we have the same happy ending--not quite there yet, and we started later than Kyle did, but maybe with more time...

My new book to recommend to people who want to know more.
Amanda, mom of 3

hhhotrp

Postby hhhotrp » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:19 pm

Excellent book for any mom to read. My older son has autism and my younger one has one of the other A's (allergies). We have been doing biomedical intensely since my son's autism dx, and he's come such a long way in only 12 months (1 year to date tomorrow!!!). I still hate to think that I wasted the first two years of his life looking for answers with "regular" pediatricians, dietitians, therapists, etc.

HoldingOn2Hope

Postby HoldingOn2Hope » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 am

I have to update. I still contend that this book is phenomenal!!!

After about a year or so of having my son on the diet, and seeing improvement with his autism, I decided to give it a try for myself. While my son had been on the diet, our entire family was as well, although the rest of us would "cheat" (eating cheese, or wheat bread) on the side once a day or so. Well, I finally put myself on the GF/CF diet (at the prompting of this book's suggestion it could help with asthma). It took a few times of starting and stopping, to finally do it for real. And what do you know? I feel SO much better! My asthma is GONE! My acne is pretty much gone. Also gone are my headaches, stomachaches, brain fog, dizziness, "tiredness". And I have more energy!

I didn't realize I was having stomachaches. I thought that it was normal for your stomach to not feel well after eating - I thought that's how you feel "full". Apparently not! :lol: :oops:

Anyways, I'm so happy with this book! It's so easy to read, and it's great to read others' stories to see what worked for them and how some "easy" steps can make such a great impact.

OneMindOneHeart

Postby OneMindOneHeart » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 am

Wow! You guys must really, really like this book! Ha ha! So far I've heard almost every adjective known to man -- from great to excellent to phenomenal! My son Ashton was diagnosed with Autism very recently and I'm constantly looking for more information on his condition. Whether it's purely medical or purely holistic, I feel like observing every social facet of Autism is imperative to keep my child healthy, active and moving towards a more "normal" lifestyle. 

I've never personally read this book, but my friend Brenda recommended it. Following her recommendation, I went off searching for reviews and happened to stumble upon this forum. Now that I know what everyone else thinks, I guess I'm going to have to get to the closest book store to pick up this book. Once I've read it, I'll come back and give my two cents. I never considered the link between Autism, ADHD, Allergies and Asthma. Dr. Bock must be onto something. Maybe I can get a better idea of what Ashton is going through by reading Dr. Bock's analysis and diagnoses.

Speaking of diagnoses, it was my son's general practioner that gave him the diagnosis of Autism. I'm supposed to take Asthon to a psychiatrist and therapist in the next few weeks, but I don't know where to take him. Living in Indianapolis, I know there are a variety of hospitals and health centers that cater to children's mental health. If there are any Indy people out there, can they tell me how Riley Hospital is or if they have friends who know? It would be really appreciated! Thanks, guys! Off to the book store now! =)

wv_literata

Postby wv_literata » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am

I have only read approximately ten total books on the subject of autism but I would say this one is minimally in the top three - nice and thick, and chock-full of solid information. I bought this book with my older boy in mind and then passed it on to a neighbor with an autistic grandson. I then had another boy with more severe autism and regretted parting with this book, but I think the most significant information that I got from this book was regarding chelation therapy and the importance of detoxifying the body.

Anyway, yes - great book!
Let HOPE be the propeller that lifts you from the depths of despair.

ScrappyMommyof3

Postby ScrappyMommyof3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:18 pm

This is the third biomedical book that I added to my kindle. Lots of great information and I really like the fact that while he feels the gf diet is important he also recognizes that not ALL kids respond to it. I also like that he gives information about each supplement. Dr Sears also did this in his book but Dr Bock lists more of the biomedical supplements.
Mom of 3
Daughter 13, Learning disabled
Son 9, Non-Verbal ASD
Son 9, Neuro-Typical

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”