The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
dorybh

The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook

Postby dorybh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:37 am

This book, by Pamela J. Compart, M.D. and Dana Laake, RDH does a fantastic job of explaining the theory behind the diet, why it works for some kids and what symptoms it helps with. Interjected within each chapter, are testimonials from parents who have used the diet to aid their children. There is also an overview of food allergies and sensitivities as well as a brief summary of a few alternative diets (Feingold, SCD). Over half of the book is filled with recipes that can be adjusted to fit your child's likes/dislikes. Each recipe clearly indicates which common allergens are omitted (gluten, milk, soy, egg, etc.). This would be a great resource book for someone just getting started with the diet. The fact that a medical doctor and a nutritionist collaborated on this project makes it a unique source of information.
Enjoy!
dory
I had to be there, to get here.

Janie

Postby Janie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Agreed - I love this one!
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

Monica3

Postby Monica3 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:07 pm

I just got this book few days ago, I like it too.
Thank you
Monica

HoldingOn2Hope

Re: The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook

Postby HoldingOn2Hope » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:42 pm

I like this cookbook a lot!!! The information in there is really great - very thorough, yet easy-to-read... it's FAR more than a "cookbook". It has recipes for a lot of the things that people really miss when they get on a GF/CF diet, so it's a nice resource. I have found, though, that the recipes are a little bland, and that some of the ingredients are hard to find (in my small town). But this is a great go-to book for recipes, and a fantastic informational book for the diet.

HoldingOn2Hope

Re: The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook

Postby HoldingOn2Hope » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:23 am

I want to update this. I'm still liking this cookbook - it's a great go-to cookbook, although most of the recipes are pretty bland.

But the banana muffins recipe is AWESOME!!!! It has amazing texture and flavor! My friends didn't even know it was GF/CF! Excellent! I've been looking for 3 years for a GF/CF muffin that actually tastes (and feels) good, and this is it!

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”