Social Skills workbook

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
dorybh

Social Skills workbook

Postby dorybh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:36 am

Social Skills Activites for Special Children by Darlene Mannix

This is a book geared toward teachers of students in grades K-5. We homeschool, so we make it part of our curriculum. There are three main parts: Accepting Rules and Authority at School, Relating to Peers, and Developing Positive Social Skills. We are skipping the first section, although I suppose you could adapt it to a homeschool setting. I just have a hard time expecting my child to blindly accept what someone says merely because they are an adult. If we do this section, we will have to tweak it for our purposes.
The second section goes more into learning and working with others, making friends and keeping friends, which is our current area of focus. The final component of this workbook consists of exercises about understanding social situations, positive personality attributes, getting along with others at home and everyday etiquette.
My son, who often balks at doing these kinds of activities, readily participated in completing the pages after discussing the scenarios with me. The book is scattered with stories, questionaires and cartoons which illustrate the presented material. It's easy to read for those children who wish to do it independently, but it works just as well with parent and child completing the activities together.
I was so happy with this workbook, that I purchased it. I highly recommend it if your child needs to work on social skills and understanding his/her place in the world.
Happy reading!
dory
I had to be there, to get here.

bgallag

Re: Social Skills workbook

Postby bgallag » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:16 pm

I am an adult with Asperger's, and my mentor/friend has actually provided me with some handouts from this book. I wish I had had this resource around when I was younger. Unfortunately, Asperger's was just being discovered back then and definitely not in women. But still, I have saved all of her handouts and read them. They were pretty useful. There were also some great ones in there about dealing with anger, family, arguments, meltdowns, etc. If this is the same workbook I'm thinking of.
Pls vote www.refresheverything.com/bridget Pls txt my #105469 to Pepsi 73774.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”