Autism and Salicylate Intolerance

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
Jtoz54

Autism and Salicylate Intolerance

Postby Jtoz54 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:16 am

While a Gluten -free diet is a great place to start to heal the intestines there are other food intolerances that effect us neurologically. Salicylates is one of them. First some background. Aspirin is the most well known salicylate. It comes from the bark of the willow tree. All plants produce salicylates as a natural insecticide so it is in all fruit (except bananas, peeled pears and papaya) It is in most vegetables, olive oil, mint, almonds, vinegar, coffee, tea etc.
dont get scared, there are a lot of foods you can have. Most kids with ADHD have it and 80% of autistic kids are Salicylate Intolerant. Salicylates are also in artificial food dyes and additives. ( food dyes is explained on the Feingold Diet Site ). There is a very good list of foods high in salicylates to avoid in the book "Salicylate Intolerance and The Healthier I Ate the Sicker I Got." I am Salicylate Intolerant and suffered my whole life with a Foggy headed feeling, ADHD, migraines, dizziness, vomiting, achy joints and finally asthma as I got older. Once I started to avoid salicylates all my symptoms went away. I also have to avoid all artificial colors (which are made from coal tar and petroleum), mint and menthol,(wintergreen flavoring is toxic to someone who is sal intolerant), fluoride in toothpaste,(this is actually rat poison) MSG, Sodium Nitrate and artificial flavors like Vanillin ( a waste product from paper mills that tastes like vanilla). I find my students in school are much worse after lunch after having a jolly rancher or something else artificially colored. Well Good luck and God Bless, Joan

williams_dad

Re: Autism and Salicylate Intolerance

Postby williams_dad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:24 pm

Joan's book is called
"Salicylate Intolerance and The Healthier I Ate the Sicker I Got."
By Joan Tozzi Ablahani
ISBN#978-0-615-31797-7

for those interested here is her webpage
http://sickfromsalicylates.com/
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”