Autism and Girls - New Book! Recommended by Tony Attwood!

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
carebearw

Autism and Girls - New Book! Recommended by Tony Attwood!

Postby carebearw » Sat May 12, 2012 11:47 am

I am the mom of two amazing girls on the spectrum, and this is my new book. When my girls were diagnosed ten years ago, I wanted a book to give me reassurance and hope as much as information. I could not find a book that did that. I promised myself if I made it through, I would write a book for other parents to tell them what I have learned and provide comfort and optimism. My book is full of well-researched information on practical topics. It is humorous and personal while it offers tons of practical advice learned through experience.

The book jacket says:

"This book is a celebration of all the wonderful and unexpected gifts that having daughters on the autism spectrum can bring to your life. Each chapter explores a topic of concern, offering encouragement and guidance on common issues such as school, friendships, meltdowns, special gifts, family relationships, therapies and interventions. Having daughters on the spectrum presents unique and rewarding challenges and this book is packed with friendly advice and real life examples from a mother who has experienced it all first hand. The hopeful perspective given in this book is guaranteed to offer much appreciated comfort to parents, grandparents and family members. It will provide educators and anyone who cares for girls on the spectrum with an insight into what life is like for these extraordinary girls and their parents."

Link to the book on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Girls-Autism-Spectrum-Celebrating/dp/1849058938/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336871791&sr=8-1

Some of the reviews from experts for my book:

If you have a daughter with autism or Asperger's syndrome, this book will be your primary source of information and inspiration as well as becoming your 'best friend' who understands and supports you. --Tony Attwood, Clinical Psychologist and author of The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome

Eileen Riley-Hall writes as an old hand, reassuring new recruits that they, too, will survive the shock of getting a diagnosis, and showing them how to be their own child's advocate, while maintaining a healthy balance in their own lives, and the on-going life of their family. This is a heartening, and at the same time no-nonsense look at what it means to be the parent of not one, but two daughters on the autism spectrum. The author speaks with the insight, compassion, and wisdom that only come from first-hand experience…enabling new parents to make better-informed choices on their own child's behalf. --James Coplan, MD, author, Making Sense of Autistic Spectrum Disorders

Eileen Riley-Hall, a parent of two girls on the autism spectrum, has demonstrated with great clarity the differences between girls and boys on the spectrum. Her book addresses the complexities of girls being a 'minority in a minority group'. Without doubt her book is inspiring, positive and practical providing excellent tips on living with, understanding and supporting girls on the spectrum. A must read for all of us who care about this 'hidden' group. --Dr Judith Gould, Clinical Psychologist and Director of the NAS Lorna Wing Centre for Autism

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”