Lee Silsby

AutismWeb Forum

Autism Discussion Forum at AutismWeb.com
ourkidsasd.com Free Shipping Autism Supplements
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:07 pm 

Outrageous.

A year ago, following the death of Tariq Nadama via his treatment by Dr. Roy Kerry, Bernie Rimland took the following stance:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05241/561879.stm

Quote:
Dr. Roy Kerry, the Portersville doctor who was treating the Monroeville boy, has not been trained through the autism research center, according to its director Bernard Rimland.

Apparently since that time, Dr. Roy Kerry has attended a DAN! convention and an 8-hour (INTENSIVE!) DAN! session to add to his treatment expertise:

http://www.autismwebsite.com/ari-lists/ ... _M.D..html

Quote:
DAN Conferences: Cherry Hill (1998), Washington, D.C. (2006), Practitioner Completed 8-hr Intensive Training by the DAN! Physician Training Team (2006)

(Whew! Glad we cleared up that little chelator misunderstanding!)

And so now he is listed on the ARI DAN! physician referral list:

http://www.autismwebsite.com/ari-lists/danus.html

Thanks, ARI, for promoting excellence in the treatment of autism. Not.

P.S. ARI might consider an additional line on the physician form that reads something like "Anyone die lately?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:50 pm 

I remember when the ARI mentioned that Dr. Kerry was not a member.
The irony burns.

Last edited by Jonathan on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:52 pm 

Are you all aware that doctors mistreat patients every single day in clincial practice - and that many hundreds of thousands of people die from it? Does that mean every doc who malpractices just up and quits?

Yes, I agree, this is a bit scary, and due to the publicity, you are more aware of it - but perhaps this doctor saw the ultimate error he made, has made the effort to learn from it, and has even joined this consortium so as to reduce his mistakes in the future and learn from other docs.

I don't see anything positive in posting Darth Vader pics or making light of it. The guy made an error - or a staff member or nurse could have made the error as well. It happens a lot, and not just in this area of autism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:06 pm 

Joey'smom,

This was not a simple case of making an error. You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=60

scroll down to where Do'C makes his first post on that page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:15 pm 

The "guy" made an error that killed a little boy. A little boy who had no say in what was happening to him.
Absolutely the doctor should be made held accountable. But, his parent's should hold some of the blame too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:30 pm 

:)

Last edited by Casper on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:42 pm 

It was quite a bit worse than just an "error."

He killed a little boy with a lethal quack treatment. ARI was all about backing away when it happened -- but since then he has been placed on the ARI referral list for children with autism?

And an eight-hour DAN! course deams him fit to practice medicine again with these children? Sorry Tariq, it was just a little misunderstanding. It's all cleared up now.

I can't believe the man has the nerve to appear anywhere near a child with autism. I guess he is not giving up on a lucrative market niche (though I can't imagine that any sane parent would be anxious to make an appointment).

If the ARI and DAN! expect to be taken seriously, then they should behave accordingly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06304/734312-54.stm

Quote:
State officials have filed disciplinary charges against a doctor who prescribed a therapy for people with lead poisoning to a 5-year-old autistic boy who then had a heart attack and died.

Dr. Roy E. Kerry, 68, of Greenville, Mercer County, was charged last month with six counts that include engaging in unprofessional conduct and breaching the standard of care.

Abubakar Tariq Nadama died in August 2005 following his third chelation treatment at Dr. Kerry's clinic, Advanced Integrative Medicine Center in Portersville, Butler County.

The Department of State alleges, among other things, that Dr. Kerry prescribed an IV push -- meaning the drugs are administered in one dose intravenously -- despite warnings that this method can be lethal. He also prescribed the wrong formula of the drug, officials said.

If the State Board of Medicine finds any of the charges to be true, Dr. Kerry could have his medical license revoked, suspended or restricted and could pay up to $10,000 in fines for each violation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:25 pm 

I completely agree with Casper. I certainly would never take a child to him nor do I think he should have become a certified DAN doctor in his quickie course. However, his parents did nothing but love their son and do everything in their power to give him a better life. As parents, most of us tend to blame ourselves when something goes wrong. Their pain and suffering will last a lifetime....I hope they don't add unjustified guilt to the life they must now live without their beloved son. Sad, sad story.

Grandma C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:37 pm 

Jonathan do you have children??? I wonder if one of your children died wgile receivng a treatment if you would find it funny to post a picture of Darth Vader.

Last edited by kathleenjj on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:50 pm 

Kathleen,

I understood Jonathan's pic to be referring to the ARI's flip-flopping to the other side (first denying that Kerry was a DAN!, then after the boy's death, embracing Kerry on the physician referral list), not a reference to the death.

The tragedy of the situation is not a pic of Darth Vader. Considering the number of issues on this thread to react to, that is an odd pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:55 pm 

Grandma C wrote:
I certainly would never take a child to him nor do I think he should have become a certified DAN doctor in his quickie course.

Grandma C,

That "quickie" course is how a DAN! doc becomes a DAN! doc. There is no additional certification or standards required to be included on the Autism Research Institute's DAN! physician referral list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:10 am 

Casper wrote:
Were the parents aware that their son was being given a different type of chelator? Did they understand that the chelator given could potentially kill their child?

The parents are just making decisions based on what they were told.

Quote:
I would hope that every parent who undertakes this type of treatment would very carefully weigh risk vs benefit.

How often do you hear physicians or other parents, who are promoting chelation or any other experimental treatments, warning other parents of possible risks in a balanced fashion?

What I do see more often are adverse reactions of a treatment being dismissed as "corrective" in some way, or indicating a need to add something else, or suggesting that the parent has not persisted with the treatment sufficiently.

If there is no one out there to say "HEY! Check out the information on the other side!"... how would the parent have the info to make a risk/benefit decision?

Perhaps these parents would have made different treatment decisions given access to more (or at least different) information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:14 am 

Very disturbing. At the very least this was a very careless, foolish oversight on the part of ARI. At most it is gross negligence.

Quote:
If the ARI and DAN! expect to be taken seriously, then they should behave accordingly.

I have to agree.

ETA: I also found the use of DV to be tasteless under the circumstances. The "gotcha" factor might have been appropriate or funny in some other instance, but not this one.

Last edited by LittleManzParents on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:24 am 

Winnie wrote:
Kathleen,

I understood Jonathan's pic to be referring to the ARI's flip-flopping to the other side (first denying that Kerry was a DAN!, then after the boy's death, embracing Kerry on the physician referral list), not a reference to the death.

The tragedy of the situation is not a pic of Darth Vader. Considering the number of issues on this thread to react to, that is an odd pick.

Winnie

I respect everyone's right to an opinion but there is nothing funny about this issue. You may be comfortable with jokes involving a character that murdered other characters as long as it is--as you think--ONLY linked to ARI and not the child's death. I am not.

I find it interesting you think such a reaction "odd".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:34 am 

Joey's mom and kathleenjj:

Dr. Rimland and other people associated with ARI where very quick to point out that Dr. Kerry was involved in DAN! when all this occured. That seems perfectly reasonable, as it was factual.

Now following this event Dr. Kerry has suddenly become associated with DAN! via his completion of a training seminar.

The picture of Darth Vader is not important in itself. I am not comparing Dr. Kerry or ARI to Vader. I am having the Vader point out the use of irony by the ARI/DAN!

Vader once said "the force is strong with this one".

The picture reads "the irony is strong with this one"

And truly it is. The DAN! folks have displayed an irony so thick, I think I could cut it with an knife.

Kathleen, you are are right there is nothing "funny" about this issue. I do not find it funny, I find it to be the epitome of irresponcible, I have no repsect for such decision making as displayed by DAN! here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:38 am 

i thought we were to refrain from the language and refrence to treatments that posters know some are using biomed as "quack" etc. while posting and debating our positions??????

regardless of the treatment be it chelation or testosterone or something else????

i am offended when someone posts this description "quack" or other inflamatory descriptions in knowledge and pure disregard for the rules, thats what ran off poor sinrath and created all that tension in the first place.

so for winnie to be coming back so blatantly disrespectful again trying to place treatment in her version of what it is gets me upset, not to the point of name calling and revengeful back talk like our ousted sinrath, but i wont sit back and not call her out on it.

so please moderator though there are not real attacks happenning, there are the hidden agendas and resurgence of treament name calling being judged and surfacing again with the lack of respect to the posters/readers, just personal feelings in the negative realm of that treatment here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:42 am 

kathleenjj wrote:
You may be comfortable with jokes involving a character that murdered other characters as long as it is--as you think--ONLY linked to ARI and not the child's death. I am not.

I find it interesting you think such a reaction "odd".

Kathleen,

Darth Vader is fictional, and the cast of Star Wars really didn't die.

Dr. Kerry is real, and Tariq really did die, due to Dr. Kerry's lethal experiment. I'm not comfortable with that.

I think your persistence in this Star Wars comparison is actually trivializing this tragedy. Do you have any comments on the topic of this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:42 am 

[sigh] I think this thread is in danger of being highjacked away from the issue. I don't want my picture to become the issue. I removed it, my accusation of irony in the judegment by the DAN!/ARI leadership remains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:55 am 

2boys2 wrote:
i thought we were to refrain from the language and refrence to treatments that posters know some are using biomed as "quack" etc. while posting and debating our positions??????

regardless of the treatment be it chelation or testosterone or something else????

LisaLynn,

No parents on this forum are using this treatment. I doubt that any parents are considering using the treatment Dr. Kerry used, because it is potentially lethal. A child died. Somehow this seems more important than offending someone's semantic sensibilities or defending a broader realm of biomed. A child was killed with this particular chelating treatment -- and I never equated this treatment to any other biomed treatment.

Still, I think it is shameful that ARI would refer parents to this physician.

If his parents had known this treatment was potentially lethal, he might be alive today.

Last edited by Winnie on Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:00 am 

Quote:
so please moderator though there are not real attacks happenning, there are the hidden agendas and resurgence of treament name calling being judged and surfacing again with the lack of respect to the posters/readers, just personal feelings in the negative realm of that treatment here.

What hidden agenda? Do you mean the advocation of a differing point of view? Or do you mean that some people here are really shills of one sort or another (maybe working for medical companies)? Can you specify?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next