A Cure For Regressive Autism

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Grandmother

A Cure For Regressive Autism

Postby Grandmother » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:07 pm

I've been reading here off and on for several years, but never posted since no one else was doing what my daughter was doing for my granddaughter, the adapted SCD diet (also removing casein), free on the internet, eliminating all additives including glutamate, and going organic. Now that she's healed, cured, recovered, whatever you want to call it, from her severe regressive autism and severe "co-morbid" constipation, that everyone is told isn't curable, I want to share what healed her.

Her regression was very severe, lost all words, all eye contact, could no longer run or climb a ladder, could no longer poop, etc. Started with probiotics, digestive enzymes, Epsom salt baths, no food additives, no food from a can (they are lined with glutamate), etc. Also "greened" their house, filtered the water, anything that she could absorb, inhale, or ingest. Since these children can no longer indicate they want water, keep water near them at all times. Eliminated gluten, casein, soy, and corn. Saw slight improvement so my daughter decided to go right on to the SCD diet and kept eliminating foods for that.

The key for my grandchild was eliminating glutamate, both foods high in glutamate and the additive that goes by many names on food labels. That was an accidental discovery since she fully regressed again after accidentally ingesting glutamate. Had to start all over. So read labels carefully even if you think it's just plain sliced turkey.

Added cod liver oil with noticeable improvement, it's what we all took when we had the measles as children since measles can deplete Vitamin A, plus she was low in D as a lot of these children are, and omega 3 helps heal the gut. Added Vitamin C and zinc. A die off reaction eliminating the last grain (rice) for the SCD. Then discovered while eliminating sugar that she had a yeast infection from her behavior an hour after a tiny bit of sugar. Doctor prescribed Nystatin with noticeable improvement. Didn't see the tell-tale anal circle rash until after she'd started it.

Lots of strange symptoms during the healing process and she regressed with every frequent cold, but each regression was less than the one before. We saw just how damaged her immune system was and the connection between the immune system and the brain. Daughter discovered that Advil was the only thing that worked and brought her fevers down within 15 minutes. Then Methyl B12 was the last added and showed another improvement. Her blood level was very high in B12 and didn't think she needed it. May not be able to absorb it until some gut healing has occurred, but she had healed enough by then to absorb it. By that time, she no longer had the severe constipation and belly pain.

Took about a year and a half from beginning to heal completely. While doctors don't suggest supplements because autism is supposedly not curable, they will give proper dosages if asked, at least hers did. I started researching to try to put it all together. B12 seems to be a glutamate blocker or protective of glutamate toxicity. There was a recent cadaver study showing that for those with autism, Alzheimer's and schizophrenia, the level of B12 was normal in the blood but low in the brain. I discovered Advil is another glutamate blocker. So far, I've learned that restricting glutamate led to healing, glutamate ingesting led to regression, methyl B12 is protective of glutamate toxicity, there is low B12 in the brain, there is glutamate reduction in the GFCF diet which works for some, and Advil blocks glutamate, everything leading to glutamate.

I knew aluminum was in vaccines and wanted to research that next. However, imagine my shock when I recently stumbled upon Dr. Seneff from MIT who is alarmed about glutamate in the MMR. I didn't know until then that anyone would be insane enough to put glutamate in a vaccine injected into babies, but it's the final piece that explains what happened to my grandchild.

I am so very proud of my daughter for not believing that there was no cure. I hope this helps another child.

akhdan

Re: A Cure For Regressive Autism

Postby akhdan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:09 pm

How much B12 is she using?

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:46 am

Never used more than normal dosages of anything. Methyl B12 is water soluble, meaning any excess is normally excreted. However, it can cause harm if someone is dehydrated for example. With these children, who knows what is going on, so best to be safe. What my daughter did was bring the containers to the doctor for his approval of the dosages. Also, forgot to say that from the beginning she was on a basic multi-vitamin, then added to it.

Here is the link for the SCD diet. The autism section is on the left. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/

Since she's been healed, she's going in the opposite direction, adding foods back in one at a time and slowly reducing supplements. Best wishes for your child's healing.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks for sharing your story. Were "legal" beans a staple in her diet?

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:37 pm

She preferred peas, broccoli, etc, to beans, but would eat bean pancakes. Also butternut squash pancakes, almond flour muffins, etc. SCD compliant recipes all over the internet, including a recipe category on this message board, just make sure they also have no casein. With autism, diet is a huge piece to heal the gut, but so are digestive enzymes, Omega 3, and probiotics, along with an anti-fungal if yeast is a problem. Also supplementing nutrients and removing toxins from diet such as glutamate and the glyphosate in GMO food. Best wishes.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks Grandmother.

Grandmother

Postby Grandmother » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:42 am

The SCD diet has an intro diet consisting of bone soup, gelatin, etc., so wanted to add that grandchild did not do the intro diet at all. Just phased into the main diet and only ate finger foods. It was a fortunate omission since the intro diet would have a lot of glutamate.

She also had no dairy, yogurt, etc., and no calcium supplements At the beginning, daughter retained a nutritionist to implement elimination of gluten, casein, corn, soy, and all food additives. She said grandchild didn't need dairy, was getting enough calcium from diet, and that man is the only creature that consumes milk beyond weaning age. I've since found out that glutamate toxicity can allow calcium into the brain and that a post mortem study showed those with autism have significantly more calcium in their brains, so perhaps it isn't only the casein in dairy that is a problem for these children, but also the calcium. Of course, you should consult a doctor or nutritionist to see if your child needs extra calcium. Nutritionist gave a great start to biomedical, but went no further than the above eliminations and adding Epsom salt baths, probiotics, and digestive enzymes.

Daughter then continued on to the SCD diet. It was designed to be easy-to-digest in order to heal celiac, a response to gluten. I believe the intestinal problem many of these children have is a response to glutamate and it also effects them neurologically. So many of the things I'm reading on this website are related to glutamate, such as Hashimoto's, hypoglycemia, seizures, mitochondria, etc., and so many of the supplements mentioned are involved in fixing problems caused by glutamate toxicity.

Another poster alerted me to Katherine Reid, scientist mother. She also discovered the glutamate connection, cured her child, and set up a non-profit called Unblind My Mind. Claims a high rate of healing from eliminating glutamate. You'll find newspaper articles and YouTube videos.

According to this link, blood sugar helps prevent hypoglycemia and glutamate toxicity. The SCD diet does permit fruit. Also need to stay hydrated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity

Research Dr. Mary Megson who claims these children need the natural form of Vitamin A found in cod liver oil. Also, grandchild was on a multi-vitamin from the beginning that had all the B's, except B12 was in the cyano form. The methyl B12 added later resulted in noticeable improvement and was the final piece to her healing.

Best wishes.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”