Autism as glutamate and aspartate sensitivity

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

amanda NC

Autism as glutamate and aspartate sensitivity

Postby amanda NC » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Over the last couple of years I have seen more and more discussion about the possibility that autism is largely a severe sensitivity to neurotoxins, especially glutamate and aspartate. As I look back over the treatments that have worked best for us, I believe that this is the case for us. I noticed the "I think we found our magic bullet" thread here today, and wanted to add to the information in a separate thread, as that thread is so long. The original author talks about NAC as a glutamate blocker. Here is a link to 4bryce's original thread on this topic from several years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23379

Here is a site that has a nice list of the research linking autism and glutamate sensitivity:

http://www.msgtruth.org/autism.htm

The entire site is worth a read.

There is a lot written these days about glutamate and aspartate avoidance diets. Easy to google this and get more information.

Supplements often suggested include glutathione, C, E, CoQ10, magnesium, B6, taurine. Also Advil and Motrin block glutamate. We have had great success giving 1/2 dose Motrin nightly.

Almost all preservatives are neurotoxins of some kind. By the way, the Feast Without Yeast diet is a neurotoxin-free diet. This may help explain why it works so well.

Wheat, milk and soy are all very high in free glutamic acid, especially in their processed forms.

In one of the articles I read they say the diet for PKU is very similar to what you'd need to do for autism. Might be worth looking at PKU diets to get an idea of what this would look like in practice. I have not done that yet. They said that there is a lot of symptom overlap between PKU and autism.

Good stuff to think about!
Amanda, mom of 3

akhdan

Re: Autism as glutamate and aspartate sensitivity

Postby akhdan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:55 am

This is interesting. I saw you mentioned valerian root in other post. Do you think valerian block glutamate? Is there any side effect from valerian root? It has very calming effect on my son.But his appetite decreased.

CdB

Postby CdB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Here's Stephanie Seneff view on glutamate:

I recently contacted Dr. Seneff and we talked about her views on autism--the rate and the cause. I recorded her answers on Skype.

First of all, I asked about her forecast of one in every two children with autism by 2025. This was her response:

I've been looking at the curves of the increase in autism. It's quite alarming. This is what has caused me to devote all of my energy right now to try to figure out what the causes are. You see the one in 150, then the one in 88, now the one in 68, you draw that graph, you extend it into the future. What you need to realize, that one in 68, that's not kids being born today. That's kids who are already twelve years old. So we have to take that graph and already project it twelve years just to get to the people that are being born today. If you're talking 2025, which I'm saying, one in two, you need to extend that curve to 2037. If you do that, it's comfortable to say that it will be one in two, if we don't change whatever is causing this. And if it continues to go up on the curve that we already see, that's what it's going to be, one in two of the children being born in 2025 will end up with a diagnosis on the autism spectrum.

Dr. Seneff explained what she believes is behind the epidemic increase in neurologically disabled children everywhere.

I've identified three or four different toxic chemicals that I think are crucial to the autism epidemic, and these are specifically the aluminum and mercury in the vaccines, but also glutamate in the vaccines, which people don't realize. And in conjunction with glyphosate, which is the active ingredient in Roundup, the pervasive herbicide that is being used in huge amounts on the GMO Roundup Ready crops today. This has been a continually escalating usage of this chemical on the food crops--the core crops of the processed food industry, with almost zero regulation on how much residue is allowed. There's regulation, but it's hardly ever tested as far as how much is in the food. And so we don't know how much we're getting exposed to, but we can be sure we're getting exposed to more today than we were previously because of the usage of Roundup on Roundup Ready crops has gone up exactly in step with the increase in autism. It's a prefect match.

Here Dr. Seneff advises parents on what they can do.

What I think people don't appreciate is that the vaccines and the glyphosate are synergistically toxic. The glyphosate is making the chemicals in the vaccines much more dangerous to the children than they would otherwise be. As I said, the glutamate is very interesting because glyphosate disrupts the body's ability to metabolize glutamate, so the glutamate becomes toxic and gets into the brain. I think that's the critical thing with the MMR vaccine, which has not been appreciated even by even the people who believe the MMR may be linked to autism. Until we can find a way to produce vaccines without using these toxic chemicals, we need to really worry about the extent to which we're vaccinating our children. We need to cut it way back. And if I were a young mother today, I would try very hard to get out of all the vaccines that contain aluminum, mercury and glutamate. That's a pretty big list. That's DTaP, Hepatitis B, MMR, the measles vaccine, the flu shot, all of those. . . . I would like to eliminate them. . . . If you don't choose to eliminate, you can actually delay--and that's much, much better than getting them on schedule, because a newborn child has a very weak immune system. To give that child a Hepatitis B which contains a substantial amount of aluminum is very dangerous. And now they've added the Gardasil vaccine, which has a very toxic form of aluminum in it, that they're giving to the teenagers, which is just on top of whatever load they might have accumulated up to that point. The U.S. has the highest vaccination requirements in the world, along with the highest infant mortality rates among the top industrial countries. If we're getting all those vaccines, it's somehow not compensating for whatever else we're poisoning ourselves with, which of course might be the case. . . . When you look at the risk benefit ratio of the vaccines, it comes out short. You really have to think about whether it's worth the cost. . . . Do you want your child to be permanently damaged in order to prevent it from getting measles? It doesn't make sense. I think we really need to question whether the vaccines are an obligatory part of a child's program. I certainly think they're not, particularly because they are so dangerous. And in conjunction with the glyphosate, which is making them much worse.

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 pm

amanda NC wrote:Over the last couple of years I have seen more and more discussion about the possibility that autism is largely a severe sensitivity to neurotoxins, especially glutamate and aspartate. As I look back over the treatments that have worked best for us, I believe that this is the case for us. I noticed the "I think we found our magic bullet" thread here today, and wanted to add to the information in a separate thread, as that thread is so long. The original author talks about NAC as a glutamate blocker. Here is a link to 4bryce's original thread on this topic from several years ago:

http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=23379

Here is a site that has a nice list of the research linking autism and glutamate sensitivity:

http://www.msgtruth.org/autism.htm

Wheat, milk and soy are all very high in free glutamic acid, especially in their processed forms.

In one of the articles I read they say the diet for PKU is very similar to what you'd need to do for autism. Might be worth looking at PKU diets to get an idea of what this would look like in practice. I have not done that yet. They said that there is a lot of symptom overlap between PKU and autism.

Good stuff to think about!

I am so absolutely certain that high endogenous Glutamate is the reason for the rise in Autism, but the source is more than just from food and stress. I will be talking more about this in another post but you are right on. I am high functioning Aspergers and have found this to be true for myself but I can see how high levels of glutamate can be the secondary root cause of both high and low functioning ASD. part of the key to this is knowing that they find high levels of glutamate in people with Anxiety and Depression.

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:46 pm

akhdan wrote:This is interesting. I saw you mentioned valerian root in other post. Do you think valerian block glutamate? Is there any side effect from valerian root? It has very calming effect on my son.But his appetite decreased.

Valerian stimulates the release of GABA (or stops reuptake, maybe both, they are not really sure), so it works kind of like Klonopin is a GABA receptor agonist.
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/7979830
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0808001950

Valerian is hit of miss for me. Taking it before I got on airline flights helps the anxiety and physical pain I would always experience. And taking it for sleep is great, but sometimes when I wake up after taking it at night I feel reallllly whacked.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”